Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New Bike Day – Sour Cycles steel gravel/do-it-all bike
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I had a Pinnacle Dolomite that I was using as a winter bike, training bike and commuter for a 16 mile each way commute. Back at the end of May it got stolen from our work van (I’ll not be leaving one in there again..). I liked the Dolomite but I live in easy riding distance from the Pentlands, and fancy the odd gravel adventure in the Highlands. A few of my friends here have got into gravel mincing around the Pentlands and I thought I’d get something that could do that, as well as being up to getting me race fit.

I decided if the insurance was paying I’d get something nice that I really wanted. I wanted something steel but nothing jumped out at me that was affordable. I was looking at the Norco Search, Broter Kepler and Fearless Vulture when I found out about Sour Cycles. They’re German, and seem to be a fun project for some employees at Binova, an e-bike motor company. The frames are painted to order and have some really nice details. While they do predominantly mountain bikes, they also do this, the Purple Haze.

The frame took about 2 weeks to arrive and came with a carbon fork, Acros headset pre-installed, carbon steerer bung and seatclamp. This colour is Chameleon Sapphire – a black undercoat with big blue and purple glitter to make me feel like Kate Courtney.

Spec is Ultegra hydro 11 speed drivetrain, Deda 35 bar and stem and Zero 100 and FSA wheels. I’ve got some SKS aluminium mudguards to go on, and all the usual commuting shit like bottle cages, pannier rack, bell and lights. Weight at the moment is 20.5lbs, which I’m pleased with.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

UR PdLZ R SRCNG.

Nice bike, though! Would look even better with skinwalls. Obviously.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Nothing looks better with skinwalls. Although these Clements have nearly got enough sealant pissing through the sidewalls that they’re almost whitewalls- it’s day 5 of my battle with them and I think they’ve only just sealed on my ride to work this morning.

The pedals are some flat one side/SPD the other ones that I’m experimenting with and new I’d get flamed for 😉

Bez

10/10 for the paint. In fact very nice all round.

trailwagger
    Free Member

That is lovelly…..

As for skinwalls, get em they are ~30g lighter! than the all black version.

epicyclo

Good looking bike, and I like the pedals too. 🙂

cokie

That is lovely!
    I’d love a bike like this.
    I see they clear 50mm tyres.

That colour is lovely too.
    Agreed that you should go tanwall.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tan wall would ruin that bike.

tan wall ruins most bikes.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Tyre clearance is apparently 29 x 2.00 on the back and 29 x 2.20 on the front.

kcal

“fun is fast” 🙂 that’s a good bike and great weight.

epicyclo

munrobiker

Tyre clearance is apparently 29 x 2.00 on the back and 29 x 2.20 on the front.

That makes it even better. 🙂

kayak23

Nice. Paint is dope 👌

P20

I like that a lot. Pricing seems good too.

funkmasterp

That’s a lovely looking bike. I’m in the better with tan walls camp.

matt_outandabout

That is lush.
    The gravel bike (and fun paint) I would have.

MrPottatoHead

That is a lovely looking bike. What’s the ride like? I’m really tempted by a nice steel gravel bike but want something that is still feels quite racy.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ll have to get back to you with how it rides- I rode it to work today but only 8 miles round trip and I was suffering from a ride yesterday. I did notice that the front end is very low even with all those spacers. I may drop it one more spacer and then the position will be about as aggressive as my road bike but I’m going to see how it feels tomorrow off road first.

weeksy

Looks great… Very impressed. It looks clean lined etc… I don’t like lots of clutter.

MarcSussex
    Free Member

The colour and frame looks fab, thanks for making me aware of another steel option out there and enjoy riding it. I’d really like to see it in the Fade paint job they do, but can’t find any pics.

ton

proper nice.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Marc – if you look at their Crumble mountain bike frame on their website that’s in the blue to yellow frame. They are hoping to get some dealers over here and frames sold through dealers can be ordered in custom colours.

willard

Ignore the haterz and stick with the all-black tyres. Tan walls would ruin the look of that bike and it is too nice to ruin.

How are you finding the hydro brakes?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New Bike Day – Sour Cycles steel gravel/do-it-all bike’ is closed to new replies.