Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • New bike day…. is 29er a mistake?
  • Premier Icon stumpymark

So I just picked up my Stumpy Comp a few hours ago. I’m coming from a 10 year old (or more) Rockhopper Comp. I’m not big, around 5”9’, and got the S3 frame based on Specialized’s frame guide on their website. I couldn’t test ride a bike as none of the LBS have stock. I was lucky to get this.

I went for a quick ride along the street (we have a cycle path) and it rides great but I feel really high up though and maybe a little off balance because of that. The handle bars are really wide but I’d read this is a new thing and has advantages. Overall, the bike just feels huge.

I just put it next to my old Rockhopper and the size difference is massive. The Rockhopper looks and feels like a BMX in comparison.

Bearing in mind my original bike of choice was the Whyte 905 and then the Whyte T140, both having 27.5 wheels but neither available until March next year, I’m feeling like I might have made a mistake?!?!

Has anybody else gone from 27.5 to 29 and experienced this? Did you get used to it? Did you go back to 27.5?

Premier Icon jam-bo

You’ll get used to it.

ride your old bike in a few days and it’ll feel like a kids bike.

Premier Icon CheesybeanZ

Give it a month and you won’t even remember the before 29 time
    😁😁

Premier Icon chestrockwell

Yep, as above, you’ll soon get used to 29” and riding your old bike will feel odd.

Premier Icon benjamins11
    Free Member

Wait till you ride it offroad – rolls so much better. I went 26 to 29, felt like a barge to start with but I wouldn’t go back now.

Premier Icon Tracey

We have from 26 to 27.5 and then 29 on both Stumpys and Enduros over the last 5 years. Wouldn’t go back. Loving the 29ers
    Give it some time and get it out into the hills. Forecast is good for the Peak tomorrow.

Premier Icon iainc

I used to ride a 26er Soul in medium, now on a Large 29er Levo SL (same size and geo as stumpy). Side by side the Spesh looks huge, but it is so much nicer to ride ! I am just short of 5ft 10 with short legs.

Premier Icon tails
    Free Member

I went from a 909 to an orbea Occam, yeah they feel different to start with. You feel you can’t turn as quick when you probably can, when going downhill you’ll soon realise why people like them as they just get you through sections and out of trouble in a way a 26er can’t. Trim the bars to 760mm if needed, I’m the same height as you and toy between 760mm and 780mm.

Go give it some hammer through your local single track, then make a judgement. Check your tokens I had too many which needed changing.

Premier Icon four
    Free Member

I have a Spark 900RC 29er and T130 27.5

The 29er (for me) is faster and rolls better, for twisty tight stuff the 27.5 turns quicker.

If I had to choose one it would be 29er without a doubt.

Premier Icon Northwind

Modern bikes are BIG, it’s probably not the wheels that are having the biggest effect. Wheelbase reach and bars are massively different from 10 years ago, it does take some getting used to.

As for not being tall, Katy Winton rides a 29er Trek most of the time and she’s about 3 foot tall.

Premier Icon julians

Yes, whenever I ride a 29er it feels like it’s on stilts.

I found that lowering the bars on the 29ers as far a sthey will go tends to improve things.

Theres no doubt the 29er rolls better over obstacles,and is probably faster in most circumstances (the 29er has smashed a few of my strava prs) , but I prefer 27.5, I feel like I get more feedback from the 27.5. The 27.5 just gives me more feel, and more feel is more confidence (for me anyway).

I own both 27.5 and 29 inch bikes, and swap between them regularly

From now on for my off road riding I willonly buy 27.5 bikes if I still have the choice.

Premier Icon onewheelgood

My Jeffsy is enormous compared to my other bikes. But once I get out in the hills it’s fine. You’ll get used to it.

Premier Icon SuperScale20
    Free Member

I went from 27.5 Hard Tail to Medium LT Stumpy 29 and took me 6-7 hours to get use to height and speed, I cant see any reason why I would go back to 27.5 the Stumpy just rolls over everything. I am sure it will be fine just need to give yourself some time.

Premier Icon Joe
    Free Member

Agree with the above. I’d still trim the ridiculous handlebars that modern bikes have… but the 29 you’ll get used to.

Premier Icon breadcrumb

I’m the same height as you and love 29ers.

I think it’s more the jump from an older bike to a modern one. A lot has changed in recent years.

I wonder what will change in the next 5-10 years?

Premier Icon mashr

The handle bars are really wide but I’d read this is a new thing and has advantages.

Give it a few rides, then slide your grips/shifters/brakes in and out along the bars until you find the place the feels best for you. Then trim the bars to suit.

Joe
    Free Member

Agree with the above. I’d still trim the ridiculous handlebars that modern bikes have…

IMO the only ridiculous thing is that shops/brands aren’t pointing out that these should be trimmed to suit

Premier Icon joebristol

Ride it some more and you’ll get used to it I reckon.

When I went from a Kona U’hu which was an old school / light full suss 26er from the late 90’s to a 650b Boardman Pro Fs from about 2016 I spent a few months thinking it felt big in tight corners and I was struggling on that (faster everywhere else though). Still in 650b but with a longer reach / slacker head angle bike now and it feels really nimble (despite being heavy ish for a trail bike).

I’d imagine the same would happen with a 29er eventually – they have more bb drop to compensate for the extra height of the hubs and the frames are designed around the bigger wheels. I haven’t ridden one I love or felt the need to buy yet but maybe it’ll happen in time!

Premier Icon sync
    Free Member

@stumpymark the whyte 905 is a 27.5+ and the rolling diameter of the 2.8s isn’t far off a 29er Stumpy 2.3s.

Again the 2.6s on the T140 are pretty high volume semi plus tyres.

Premier Icon stumpymark

Thanks for all comments. Consensus is that I should give it a chance so I’ll get out on it and give it a proper run.

@tails

Check your tokens I had too many which needed changing.

No clue what this means, sorry. How hard is it to cut down bars though? Can it be done with a hacksaw?

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

+1 on giving it a month or two before you start making too many judgements, or permanent hacksaw-induced changes. I spent a month over shooting corners through both increased speed and the bike not responding like my old one.

The change from your old bike to this is huge. However I guarantee you’ll soon find out how fast you’ll be going…

Premier Icon garage-dweller

No mistake 😁

I’ve an old 26r hardtail and a 29r FS bike.

Every time I get back on the wagon wheeler after riding the old hardtail for a couple of rides it feels a little tall. That lasts about as long as it takes to get it up to speed then it very quickly starts to make sense. A ride or two without the hardtail in between and it doesn’t even register.

Then I get on the hardtail after a while and it feels really odd and squashed up for a bit…

Rinse, repeat. 😂

Premier Icon tails
    Free Member

Of course you can cut them with a hacksaw, use a new blade. People use lock-on grips as a guide.

Tokens are pieces of plastic that are put inside forks snd shocks to change how the suspension feels. Have a look on youtube, they are very simple to fit and remove and really change how the bike feels. I used to have my suspension very hard but have adapted to a more supple feel.

Ask the shop for setup tips

Premier Icon bentudder

You can also use a pipe cutter – assuming the bars are alloy. Just remember you can’t put it back on. I’m 5’7” on s good day and wouldn’t go back to 26” for anything other than a laugh. They’re fine, but 29ers are just easier to ride now I’ve been on one for nine years (well, more like four). I did try 650b+ last year / this spring, but sold the wheels and tyres on. OD with 2.8s was a little less than my standard 2.4 29ers, but the bike felt pretty dull, possibly. Due to the extra weight – I’m not sure. Oodles of grip, but a lot less fun.
    I find you tend to need to make more enthusiastic inputs in terms of weight and lean, but that’s good practice anyway. Give it a try for a while. Also, give wide bars a bit of time; I ride 780s on both 29ers and they work really well. BEar in mind a shorter stem allows for longer bars, too, and you may have gone from a pretty long stem and relatively narrow bars. Steak height – I run all my stems slammed, with flat, rather than riser, bars. YMMV. But give that nice new bike a few decent length rides stock before you go changing stuff around based on what you used to know worked for you with the previous set-up. It will be different.

Premier Icon akkwlsk
    Free Member

Well… saying your 29er full sus bike is shite after a short ride on cycle path is like saying LandCruisers are bad cars after one ride to the city centre – it doesn’t fit parking spots! 😉

Point it donwhill, get some speed and you will feel like home.

Premier Icon stumpymark

@akkwlsk Didn’t say it was ‘shite’, lol. Just felt MASSIVE in every respect. I guess it sounds obvious but I’ve been away from MTB for many years so I’ve not seen any 29ers in the wild and, thanks to the lovely Coronavirus, wasn’t able to see one in the LBS so it’s really the first time I have seen one close. I’m like a caveman that has been brought back to life in the future. Everything about this bike is different. Full suspension, wide bars, 29 wheels, carbon frame, no front mech/gears, dropper post, tubeless tyres, clutch on rear mech, slack geometry, flat pedals. Some of this I hadn’t even heard of and some is new to me. Hell, I thought my old bike was cutting edge when I bought it because it had disc brakes.

There’s a lot for me to get used to and I’m sure, as you and others have said, that I will love it once I get it off-road. I put in a few miles this morning albeit on the road again and I’m getting used to it now. Met up with a friend who had a modern 27.5 wheel bike and, with his huge tyres, the wheels are practically the same diameter anyway. His geometry is similar too. So even if I had got a 27.5 bike it would still be massively different to my old Rockhopper.

I’m hoping to go on a trail ride during the week so it’ll be interesting to see how it handles.

Premier Icon snotrag

Stick with it.

Everyone on here who owns a ‘modern’ long, wide barred 292 wheel trail will agree, getting back on an old school 26″ wheel bike feels like riding something designed for a child.

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

Just felt MASSIVE in every respect.

Yep and because of that I don’t like them. Rode one for a few months and still didn’t like it.
    29inch wheels are faster, I just don’t like riding them as much.

That may be because I rode a BMX pretty much every day for 8 years though…

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

I give it 3 rides and you’ll have smashed all of your Strava PR’s and got used to it…

I give it 12 months and you’ll be on the Geometron thread asking for input!

I’m taking it as you state the size is “S3” you’ve got a Stumpjumper EVO rather than the shorter, more upright, more conventional non evo version which still comes in S/M/L/XL etc. sizes…? If so, yes, it’s long compared to what you’re used to, it’s long compared to most bikes from even only 3 years ago, but it’s pretty contemporary for right now so not that long/low/slack as such.

You’re complaining that it feels tall, but actually the BB height is pretty low for a modern trail bike. You can drop the stem moving the spacers supplied of course. Adjustable geometry might help too, the BB height and head angle are adjustable on this bike, doing so might help you acclimatise to the geometry possibly.

But seriously… Once you’ve learnt to corner properly (Fabien Barel video on YouTube will help) rather than staying upright and turning the bars, you won’t want to go back!

Premier Icon nickc

Everytime I get on my Enduro after a week on the commuter, it feels really weird. Jut a big ‘ole lazy assed suss bike that wallows about, has bars that are way too wide, and tyre that make a funny rumbling noise on the road. After a while it just feels normal though.

Another vote here for not changing anything radically until you’ve been riding it for a while.

Premier Icon Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m taking it as you state the size is “S3” you’ve got a Stumpjumper EVO rather than the shorter, more upright, more conventional non evo version which still comes in S/M/L/XL etc. sizes…? If so, yes, it’s long compared to what you’re used to, it’s long compared to most bikes from even only 3 years ago, but it’s pretty contemporary for right now so not that long/low/slack as such.

All the new Stumpjumper models are S sizing (Evo and Non) along with the Enduro etc.

Premier Icon stumpymark

@mboy No, it’s not the Evo. It’s the 2021 Stumpjumper and it does come in sizes S1 through to S6.

Premier Icon Tracey

We have gone down to 780 on the bars. 800 felt just a bit too wide
    New bike, wheres the photos 😉

Premier Icon stumpymark

Just realised, my old Rockhopper has 26” wheels. So mtb wheels have gone up 2 sizes since I last bought a bike? I really didn’t realise this. No wonder it feels like a BMX.

Premier Icon stumpymark

@tracey

We have gone down to 780 on the bars. 800 felt just a bit too wide

Think I’ll do this too, in time, but maybe to 750.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

That’s the law.

Premier Icon stumpymark

@tracey

@matt_outandabout

Yeah, I’ll get photos when I’m out on a trail, in its natural habitat.

Premier Icon pastypunk

I went from 26″five to 29″ stumpy fsr, great bike but have gone back to an orange four and find it more fun and agile for me on 27.5″, I’m 5’9″ ride for fun not racer..29er was faster overall but less involving.. personal preference I guess.

Premier Icon slforrest
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 6 and went from a 27.5 to 29er. It took me a while to get used to it and to get the suspension set up right. I love it now and in fact have just ordered a 29er hardtail. That’s going to be a lot longer than I’m used to so I’m expecting to spend some time getting used to riding it.

Premier Icon panzerjager

I felt exactly the same, just gone from a large HD3 to a large Ripmo & it feels absolutely massive!
    It didn’t help that we’re in lockdown here, so didn’t get to ride it for 3 weeks, every time I sat on it I thought I’d made a huge mistake, even standing next to it was clearly a lot bigger.
    Everything changed once I started riding it, it feels fantastic, that extra size just seems to have disappeared, along with all the early panic!
    Hard to believe I used to ride a small Turner RFX!!

Premier Icon argee

Tried 29er, prefer 27.5, more playable for me, loads of guys i ride with use 29ers, they seem to enjoy it

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.