New Bike Day – gravel AND On-One/Planet-X content!

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • New Bike Day – gravel AND On-One/Planet-X content!
  • Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Nice! Yeah the chicken is a little tight for anything over 47mm 650b, if you wanted proper monstercross then you’d want more clearance at the rear.

hooli

I like those and would have ordered one but wasn’t keep on a single ring up front, there are a few climbs around here that I need a lower gear for.

Nice. And ripe for some flemstipping

Premier Icon mcnultycop
    Subscriber

I like those and would have ordered one but wasn’t keep on a single ring up front, there are a few climbs around here that I need a lower gear for.

It has a 42t chainring and a 42t biggest sprocket. It’s lower gearing than a normal compact chain set with a 32t out back.

Markie

What’s flemstipping?

Premier Icon Caher
    Subscriber

Seriously considered the chicken but went for the Boardman ADV 9.0. swapped the saddle and tyres and love it. Real go anywhere bike.

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Markie

What’s flemstipping?

Thank goodness it’s not just me!

Premier Icon peteimpreza
    Subscriber

Did any of you consider the other On One/Planet X offering?

The Holdsworth Mystique?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOLM/holdsworth-mystique-carbon-gravel-frameset

bigrich

needs anything cage mounts on the forks.

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

Anyone looking for a ‘cheap’ gravel bike, the Vitus substance VR is worth a look – £849 gets you tiagra hydraulics, full carbon fork, thru axles etc etc. Nicely finished frame and clearance for big tyres (comes with 650b wheels, 47mm byways and there’s room for bigger). No fork mounts though.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-substance-vr-adventure-road-bike-tiagra-2019/rp-prod173147

What’s flemstipping?

Dad-joke version of:

Markie

Thank you!

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Yeah I did think of erm, ‘stipping the flem’ but the writing would be upside down! 😲🤣

hooli

It has a 42t chainring and a 42t biggest sprocket. It’s lower gearing than a normal compact chain set with a 32t out back.

It is the other end of the gearing that concerned me as I would use this as a winter road bike too so need the gearing to get up steep climbs but also to get a move on on the flat roads.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

It is the other end of the gearing that concerned me as I would use this as a winter road bike too so need the gearing to get up steep climbs but also to get a move on on the flat roads.

I’ve never spun out, you can sit at 25mph on a slight downhill spinning away quite hapilly. 30mph is 100rpm cadence so not an issue.

Over 25-30mph though I find you’re better off tucking, as soon as you get into the drops and into an aero tuck the speed goes up quite quickly! Fastest I’ve been was 38mph on a short town downhill.

I’d be more concerned about the gearing gaps if using it for a lot of road, it can be hard to keep a nice cadence when changing gears as the gaps are fairly big.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.