• This topic has 18 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New bike day – frame to full bike in a few images
  • Alex

Plan was a 2nd hand bike to replace my Bird Aeris 120 which for some reason I didn’t get on with. Was looking for the TR version, but the carbon AM came up at a great price. Doesn’t quite fit my remit of a ‘FoD bike for when I don’t want to ride my hardtail and the RipMo makes things too easy’, but you know it’s a journey 🙂

Not my garage and not my garden!

Colour is hard to photograph. It’s very green!

Spec
    – Occam Orbea 2018 AM- 150mm rear travel. Large
    – DVO Topaz shock (first DVO I’ve had, be good to see how it compares to Fox, etc)
    – Rockshox Pike RCT3 2017 with upgraded RC2 damper and Debonair air shaft. 150mm
    -SLX cranks and shifter, XT cassette, mech and (press fit meh) BB. BLackspire 30T ring. Won’t take anything bigger without boost cranks.
    – Mavic Carbon XA wheels – Magic Mary 2.35 and Nobby Nic 2.35
    – One up 170mm dropper
    – Burgtec saddle until I can get a new Fabric
    – Easton Stem/RaceFace bars
    – SLX levers, Zee caliper
    – Superstar Mag pedals.

Still full of cold and sore from crashing last week, but a quick spin round the lane was very positive. It’s light, and feels very quick. See how we get on tomorrow on a very slow/not crash-y ride in local woods.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Blimey. I like that!

martinhutch

Lovely. I say this because I’m currently waiting for the arrival of my Occam frame (from them there Classifieds).. 🙂

Is that a custom colour, or one of the stock ones? Looks very good.

I did fancy the new AM but the old one will be good too (140 instead of 150 travel)

Interested in how it compares to my Flare, which has similar travel.

Alex

I think I saw that one after I’d bought mine. This one nearly had that dropper installed, you sold me years ago, but managed to squeeze a 170mm in. It was your post last year that got me interested in the TR. I also had a chat with Doug@BasqueMTB.

Not sure how much difference there is between the two model. Look forward to seeing yours built up when you get it.

martinhutch

Yeah, still considering whether to get an Oiz TR as well, but there’s a bit of a wait, so…

Alex

I was waiting and waiting for the new Flare (having loved my flaremax but sold it because I’m an idiot). I’ve only ridden this up and down the road and off a couple of curbs, but it feels very very lively. And despite having a slack HA, seems to turn super quick.

I think this is a stock colour… the guy I bought it from was really helpful as that shock is quite complicated. However he had used yellow cables and they had to go!

Alex

Oiz looks a bit racey for me 🙂

martinhutch

Perfect for the Dales though, we don’t have any of your FoD gnar here!

Alex

It’s not gnar the way I ride it 🙂 I really wanted a fast 120mm bike. That’s why I bought the Aeris but even after really liking my mk1 145, I just never gelled with it. I also don’t like to ride the RipMo in the winter. However, the Orbea has naff all rear clearance with 2.35 tyres and a mud shelf.

Didn’t really think that through 🙂

martinhutch

I really wanted a fast 120mm bike.

Sounds like an Oiz trail…

Alex

🙂 I said I wanted one but really I just wanted something different…

Alex

Wrote a thing. Warning NSFW due to sweary bits: http://pickled-hedgehog.com/?p=4348

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Love it

Alex

🙂 It is EXACTLY that colour!

blitz

I love my Occam AM. Had mine for 2 years now. Mine is the carbon version too but 140mm each end. It’s a perfect do it all bike IMO. I think your first impressions are exactly how I felt about it and still do. It’s light, poppy and turns well so copes great with the local xc stuff near me where a lot of bikes with this travel might feel sluggish. However I’ve taken it to wales and the alps where it was also very at home whether on lift assisted runs or big all day rides. I’m even hoping to do some bike packing on it this year which is doable with the shock tucked away as it is.

It’s also been really reliable. Not had to do anything to it other than replace normal wear and tear bits. Great bikes. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Alex

Good to know. I now seem to have three do-it-all bikes 🙂

Will report back after riding tomorrow.

simondbarnes

Another one!!!

Kuco

Nice bike.

Alex

Been out. Didn’t crash. Didn’t cough up a lung. Had a beer. 3 out of 3 🙂

Was taking it very easy. But it’s very much NOT like my RipMo. It’s more hot hatch than GT car. Very poppy, over jumped a couple of things early on, seems to have loads of grip (great conditions tho), stiff frame as well.

Ended up just leaving shock fully open. Not much bob. Really plush and feels bottomless. Need to do more tweaking. Debonair upgrade on Pike definitely noticeable. And it’s light. My hooky scales say 27.5lbs. It’s in that ballpark. Climbs really well.

After 20 mins I kind of forgot I was riding a new bike as I was having a lot of fun. This is always a good sign. Anyway new bike goggles, so hopefully lots more riding in the next couple of weeks.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New bike day – frame to full bike in a few images’ is closed to new replies.