• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jruk.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New bike day for Jr!
  • BillOddie

It’s a Saracen Mantra 2.4

Weighs bang on 11kg (bit more than quoted but isn’t that always the case?).

Swapped the tyres to Rocket Rons from Small Black 8s, which saved 160g total.

I’ll swap the the post to a 250g unit from Carbon Cycles.

I reckon the big lad will be pleased when he gets home from sports club!

legend
    Free Member

He’s never going to impress the chicks if he’s still got reflectors on 🙄

BillOddie

He’s never going to impress the chicks if he’s still got reflectors on

Fair point, duly noted…they are on the list to sort along with cable rub patches and tidying the cabling up which feels a little over long.

woodster

Nice! Seems like there’s some properly nice kids bikes on the market nowadays, hydros, 1X, air fork all sounds good to me. He’s a lucky lad.

mikedabear
    Free Member

Very nice. I imagine he is going to love it. I swapped the crank and BB on a Scott Scale JNR for a second hand XT crank and a Deore BB (£10) It made a big difference.

oink1
    Free Member

BillOddie – Member
    It’s a Saracen Mantra 2.4
    [i]I reckon the big lad will be pleased when he gets home from sports club!

[/i][/b]

And??? What was the verdict?? 😀

JoeG
    Free Member

legend – Member

He’s never going to impress the chicks if he’s still got reflectors on

Not to mention the dork disk! 😡

weeksy

Niiiiice. I like that lots. I want them cranks for my lads CUBE !

BillOddie

And??? What was the verdict??

He bloody loves it!

First outing this weekend hopefully!

akira

Been looking at those for boys next bikes but probably be a year before they’re big enough. Look good for the price and not huge amount else with decent spec around.
    How tall/ what age is he?

natrix
    Free Member

What was the quoted weight and where was it quoted? Can’t find anything on the saracan website…………

BillOddie

How tall/ what age is he?

He is a distinctly average 8 3/4 year old. He can just touch the floor with both feet
    The post is as low as it will go in that picture but the new post coming is shorter, so that’ll sort it.

Reach wise it’s fine.

Will be interesting to get his lanky 7 year old brother on it and see if he’s OK on it.

Weight? Yeah it’s not on the Saracen site…I found it here but took it with a handful of Sodium Chloride.

http://www.twelve50bikes.com/6275/products/saracen-mantra-2-4-kids-mountain-bike-blue–yellow.aspx

natrix
    Free Member

Thanks Bill, nice looking bike 😀

BillOddie

First ride was Saturday…I think you can tell by the grin that he loves it!

Harry_the_Spider

Good stuff. My 9 year old lad had his first go on his Orbea MX24 yesterday. He absolutely loved it, but complained bitterly about the saddle a few hours after he got back 🙂

brassneck

Was there a deal on somewhere? Another 8 year old here that has out grown his 24″, and had a better time on his brothers 26″ (dropped saddle and its a junior 29er like Dad!) .. need an XS (14″ ish) 26 frame or bike to fill the gap!

matt_outandabout

Excellent work.
    Now get a green helmet that actually matches the bike and coat. 🙄

antares
    Free Member

How old and how tall is your lad Bill? Like the look of one of these for my daughter. She’s 9 and is about 135cm. She currently rides an Islabike Beinn 24 and just lately it’s starting to look a bit small for her. Not sure if this Saracen is gonna be a similar size. Ta

jruk
    Free Member

Watching this one with interest as my 8yo daugther is a few cms from being too big for her Beinn 20 (based on the Isla charts) and in an ideal world I’d move her straight to a 26″ rather than 24″ for a year or so. Any suggestions for a frame that will suit a 135cm tall kid and take 26″ wheels?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New bike day for Jr!’ is closed to new replies.