• This topic has 44 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by mashr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • New bike day disapointment
  • escrs
    Free Member

New bike arrived today (Canyon Exceed 8.0)

Before even opening the box i noticed a hole punched in the side of the box, oh great i thought

Opened up the box and removed the bike and guess what, damaged rear chainstay, paint flaking off, carbon exposed

Currently taking to Canyon about returning the bike, not sure i want to get a replacement or a refund, not many 10kg hardtails out there with Sram eagle XO1 groupsets for 2.5k

kittyr
    Free Member

Oh what a shame! I would get a replacement, but then I am biased. I love my canyon exceed for xc, makes big days out in the countryside such a pleasure

escrs
    Free Member

I would consider a replacement if it wasn’t for their policy of that i have to return the damaged bike to Germany, they then refund me and then i have to order again

It would take 14+ days till i got a new bike again, the fact that their courier damaged the box (Canyon’s bike guard box which is just a cardboard bike box) and the fact the frame damage is quite bad does not fill me with enough confidence to use them again

Ive asked for a full refund and will buy elsewhere within the UK

marksnook
    Free Member

Don’t want to come across like a knob so please don’t take it that way! It’s going to read that way though!
    Isn’t 14+ days To return kind of part of the package with buying a bike direct from Germany?!
    If it turned up perfect would you be happy? If yes then maybe just send it back and get a new one. Not like any of us haven’t got time to kill right now!
    Alternatively make a local shop happy and put your money there at a tough time

tomhoward

Ive asked for a full refund and will buy elsewhere within the UK

How do you think bikes in the UK get shipped?

jimdubleyou

I thought Canyon had a UK office? In Kingston ?

33tango

not many 10kg hardtails out there with Sram eagle XO1 groupsets for 2.5k

Shopping online has its pros and cons.

mashr

What an odd thread. You’ve chosen the bike on spec and price, it’s damaged in a way that has nothing to do with riding or quality. Now you don’t want the bike? Sounds easier to deal with than some local shops playing the “oh we’ll have to send it back and see card” when something crops up.

frankconway

You chose to buy from Germany – presumably (?) with full knowledge of the returns policy; you now want to return a bike as it’s damaged.
    I don’t see what the problem is unless you didn’t bother checking the returns policy before you bought.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As above, and:

It would take 14+ days

How long do you expect to own the bike?

Does everything have to be instant?

Can no one, not even 3rd parties, make mistake?

molgrips
    Free Member

If it’s the bike you want then send it back and get another, and get Canyon to pay (they should be able to claim it back of the courier).

Shit happens, stuff gets broken in transit, it doesn’t mean it’s not a good bike.

escrs
    Free Member

So here is some more details

Canyon wouldn’t let me return the bike and just send me another one which would take 7 days roughly and i would be happy to do that

They have to refund me and then i have to order again and they said this does take time (14 days in total)

How do you think bikes in the UK get shipped?

Bikes in the UK can be with you the next day, if i buy from the UK and there is an issue when the bike comes out the box at the shop they will see it straight away, also i can go to the shop show them them any issues and they can order a replacement from the UK distro that day (this has been my past experience)

The bike comes in their bike guard box which they make you pay £18 for, obviously the box was not up to the job and its just a normal bike box going by all the other bikes Ive had arrive in a box

I have been chatting to their UK office and trying to resolve the issue quickly

There is nothing in their returns policy about when you have to return a damaged bike, it does not say they will refund you and then you have to re order rather than them just sending you a new bike

Yes shit happens but it still annoying, the fact that its meant to be in a well protected box that i have had to pay for, they have used a good courier company (again who i have paid for) you would hope that something like this wouldn’t happen

Going forward Ive decided to give them another try but instead of waiting 14 days to be refunded, i have ordered another one (used my wife’s credit card) and they will collect the old one on Tuesday

This seems the easiest way to resolve the issue but it has left me thinking that i should stick to buying within the UK as its less hassle when things go wrong

Also to add as the courier company will only collect between 8am to 6pm i also have to take a day off work and wait around for them

rone

If you’re keen that’s what I would’ve done too.

Mission resolved.

Yep it’s a risk but equally when things go wrong in the UK – few bikes don’t ultimately come from abroad anyway so you may still have to wait if there is not stock for parts etc.

speedstar

My experience of Canyon is they are a bunch of cowboys. Never buying a bike from them ever again.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Not such a big storm in a tea cup?

It’s like buying anything these days, you take the total costs and compare that to others. I can’t imagine you could get a similar bike quickly without spending + £500 more?

salad_dodger

Hope you’re not in a hurry for your refund. I had to get my credit card company to threaten Canyon for my refund. I know plenty of people have had great experiences with Canyon but I found them terrible to deal with and will never use them again.

uwe-r
    Free Member

So lessons for the day:

1 Buying cheaper bikes mail order can cause issues if it gets damaged or any other problem.

2 Resolving these issues can be a pain.

3 Always use a credit card if you are doing something that may end in a dispute

4 Buying from your LBS or UK big chain might cost a bit more but there is a much better and reliable way of sorting out any issues.

daern
    Free Member

4 Buying from your LBS or UK big chain might cost a bit more but there is a much better and reliable way of sorting out any issues.

YMMV, but my experience hasn’t always been that an LBS would sort this any quicker. OK, so they’d have rejected obvious shipping damage before it got to me, but thinking generally about returns of faulty goods (especially things like broken frames etc – stuff not resolvable in a workshop), often they will insist that a faulty bike/item be returned to the supplier before they will do anything and this can take bloody ages. I definitely wouldn’t assume that I would walk into my LBS with a broken, recently purchased bike and be able to walk straight back out again with a nice shiny new one – it just doesn’t work like that.

belugabob
    Free Member

My experience of Canyon is they are a bunch of cowboys

Cowboys, in a Canyon – now there’s a surprise

Hope it all works out for you.

molgrips
    Free Member

First you say this:

not many 10kg hardtails out there with Sram eagle XO1 groupsets for 2.5k

Then you say this:

Bikes in the UK can be with you the next day, if i buy from the UK and there is an issue when the bike comes out the box at the shop they will see it straight away, also i can go to the shop show them them any issues and they can order a replacement from the UK distro that day (this has been my past experience)

Those two things are related. Or to put it another way, it’s cheap for a reason. You cannot expect a bike to be cheaper than a local bike shop AND have the same service. The world doesn’t work that way.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

I agree paying £18 for the Canyon box gives you the impression your bike will be protected during transit. Obviously it’s just a standard cardboard bike box that every other manufacturer includes gratis. It’s a bit of a con by Canyon. Although you don’t really get anything for nothing the cardboard boxes will be built into the price of all bikes.

One day I may actually get a Canyon. I have ordered bikes from them twice and cancelled after getting fed up waiting. I don’t have a lot of patience so understand the frustration of having to wait again after getting your new bike day excitement dashed.

kerley
    Free Member

How would they send it if you didn’t pay the £18 for the ‘special’ box?

scotroutes

Cowboys, in a Canyon – now there’s a surprise

Too late to head them off at the pass then?

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

They don’t give you the option to decline the box. The words used are “ ensure your bike reaches you in perfect condition with the cycle guard box”

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

LBS took six months to replace a Rocky Mountain hardtail that failed on me. To be fair to them I was told that it was the supply chain, so there is often that to consider no matter where purchased.

greeny30
    Free Member

escrs, I for one can sympathise and hope the next one survives the courier, so ignore the argumentative nobs on here, nobody’s forcing them to read every post, smarmy digs make up 90% of their contributions.
    For £18 quid I’d expect some reinforcement in key areas, you could line the box with 4mm ply for that price, not saying they should, but they could.

escrs
    Free Member

Argumentative people don’t bother me, i work with a few everyday and have had training in job relations to allow me to deal with that kind of stuff

Ive always bought bikes from great shops like Berkshire cycles who fix any issues whilst you wait and any warranty problems are sorted asap (Specialized warranty is the best out there) along with my mate’s shop and another mate working as a brand manager at a UK distro so most of my bikes over the years have come from them and the service has always been top notch

This is my first time dealing with a shop/supplier who i have no connection to so im not used to having to wait like this, especially having to return an item, get a refund then having to re order

Canyon have said the new bike that i paid for yesterday will be shipped today and should arrive on Monday, the old one will be collected on Tuesday and i should receive a refund for that one once its back with them in Germany

Will leave this thread at that till the new one arrives and will update with the condition it arrives in

ctk
    Free Member

Surprised one of your mates couldn’t get you a similar deal.

Paying for a box is bonkers – does that money get refunded?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

it’s cheap for a reason. You cannot expect a bike to be cheaper than a local bike shop AND have the same service. The world doesn’t work that way.

Correct.

sc-xc

Also to add as the courier company will only collect between 8am to 6pm i also have to take a day off work and wait around for them

No way you can work from home? It’s quite the thing at the moment…

tomhoward

Paying for a box is bonkers

You always pay for the box, it’s just rarely listed on your receipt. It’s similar to the budget airlines model, low headline price, but EVERYTHING is extra.

robo89
    Free Member

So if you buy a bike off the showroom floor at the bike shop, can you demand a slight refund if they’ve already binned the box.
    Everything boxed or packaged must have a hidden charge, but calling it a bike guard and charging £18 is a liberty.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I’ve always thought it odd that the box gets listed separately, it’s quite off-putting. YT do it as well. I wonder why they don’t build it into the price of the bike and list the box as “ Free of charge” so they look all generous.

rOcKeTdOg

Iirc, trek charge £4 for a bike in a box delivered to the dealer from the UK warehouse, £7 if it’s from the Dutch warehouse. The dealer pays this, you pay the RRP. Canyon are taking the Mickey.

But you chose cheap over LBS back up so you have to live with the consequences

Frankers
    Free Member

I’m usually against buying bikes online after some bad experiences a few years ago. However I ordered 2 bikes (Cannondale Topstone & Synapse) this year from Wheelbase, and the experience was fantastic. Good comms, delivered at the correct time and packed very well with solid box and lots of protection to frame and pointy out bits. My mate also ordered a Topstone but they shipped the wrong colour. This was resolved immediately with the correct bike being shipped and incorrect bike collected at the same time.

escrs
    Free Member

***************UPDATE*********************

So damaged bike was collected yesterday to be shipped back to Germany and ill be refunded once they receive it

The new bike bought with my wife’s credit card arrived today, straight away i noticed damage to the box, thought here we go again!!!

Took the bike out, checked it over and all is good!

Currently in the process for building it up/making some upgrades, will post some pics the weekend when it should be finished

johnnystorm

Just checked my old emails from when I bought a Canyon in 2012. £13 for the Box and £33 for postage. Does the postage get absorbed these days?

andrewh
    Free Member

LBS took six months to replace a Rocky Mountain hardtail that failed on me. To be fair to them I was told that it was the supply chain, so there is often that to consider no matter where purchased.

I can believe that, Rocky Mountain are (were?) one of Silverfish’s brands and their support is shocking

timbog160

Glad you got sorted, although sounds like Canyon may have a problem with their boxes. I bought a Radon a couple of months back and the box was very sturdy indeed – still mint when it arrived – I was a bit ****** off with my lad ripping it to shreds opening it 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘New bike day disapointment’ is closed to new replies.