Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • New bike day. Back to Whyte
  • Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

Surely current stack heights are bigger due to the bottom bracket being lower on the LLS bikes.

Whats cause and what is effect?

Even with big wheels, big travel and little head tubes, we are often using spacers and risers to get to the height we want. So we arent getting stuck with a stack we dont want, just because the BB (where it is measured from) has got lower.

Whether your BB is high or low, a given stack height (plus spacers and bars) and reach is going to put your body in the same angle/position regardless whether the bike is corner schralping low or peak district climb high.

or to put it another way:

I’ve found to get comfy on a LLS bike I’ve needed quite a high rise bar due to the front end feeling a lot lower than I’m normally use too.

if it feels too low, thats because it is too low compared to where your feet are (BB height) or possibly where your seat is (possible slight change due to steepening seat angles, but basically related to BB height).

Premier Icon weeksy

Horrible horrible noises today from the rear end, so took it apart to check bearings, oh lordy they’re bad bad bad. It’s almost a miracle the wheel moves lol.

Need a plan there. Whether it’s new bearings or a new wheel and new bearings I dunno yet. Bit a plan will be devised.

Premier Icon joebristol

Frame or wheel bearings?

Premier Icon weeksy

Wheel.

To start with, I’ve just ordered one of these, for now it’ll go on, then once I’ve sorted the Stans S1 wheel that one will end up as a spare wheel instead.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/nukeproof-neutron-v2-rear-wheel-36t/rp-prod195303

Frame I’ve got plenty of spare bearings

Sadly I don’t have all the Stans so had to order a few. I may try and grease fill them as a short term fix until the wheel turns up from CRC.

Didn’t affect the 50km ride I did today, well apart from the emotional trauma of having a noisy rear.

Premier Icon weeksy

HAving a minor shock debate on the G-170. Not for performance reasons but for water bottle reasons.

The Marz Bomber coil is ace and i’ve got no issues… but it does mean i’ve got the smallest water bottle in the world. 400ml is as big as it gets and that’s only with a relocator bracket. I know it doesn’t sound a lot less than 650-700ml that i’d be able to fit with a non reservoir shock… but it would deffo make some aspects a bit nicer out this summer i think.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125085242167?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

A reasonable enough shock that… less than £100…. not sure there’s any real downside to the discussion.

Premier Icon mashr
    Free Member

I feel you’re looking at this from the wrong direction. I’d rather get an offset mount for the bottle cage (or reposition down the tube if there’s room) or something like a Canyon Eject before taking a big suspension downgrade

Premier Icon stumpy01

Yep. Given the effort you went to, to find a bike that suits you, I’d be a bit reluctant to just swap the shock….I can’t imagine it would be a straight swap – you probably need to factor in the cost of a shock tune as well.

I think I’d rather wear a small Camelbak/hip pack or as above use an offset cage (if one will fit) or funny shaped bottle rather than potentially balls-up the bike performance.

Premier Icon weeksy

I feel you’re looking at this from the wrong direction. I’d rather get an offset mount for the bottle cage (or reposition down the tube if there’s room) or something like a Canyon Eject before taking a big suspension downgrad

Tried everything mate, i’ve tried a Lezyne relocator bracket, i’ve tried the Brid Bikes angled bracket. Can’t get anything lower down as it hits frame on bottom.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mWjeTM]2022-01-09_04-36-50[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

It’s that weird curved seat-tube that kinda kills any options.

I wasn’t aware that either the Marz CR was that highly regarded, or the RS Deluxe so lowly regarded. I just thought they were both budget(ish) shocks and much of a muchness. Am i misguided in my thoughts then ?

I’ve nothing against the MarzCR in the slightest, it works ace. Just a bit inconveient at times.

Premier Icon mashr
    Free Member

Canyon Eject – 800ml

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/gear/accessories/bike-accessories/bottles-and-bottlescages/canyon-eject-hydration-system/166965.html

Those Marzocchi shocks are just Fox Vanillas with a new sticker on them. Great wee shocks and also nicely tunable if required. I would imagine doing back to back runs with the RS would show a marked difference

Premier Icon weeksy

Canyon Eject – 800ml

That’s got a lot of merit… never seen that in my life…. Top job, thanks.

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

Is it the angle the bike is sat at, or is that the slackest seat tube (and rearward saddle) since the 90’s?

Premier Icon weeksy

It is slightly uphill with the front higher…

It’s a new seatpost as my Magura Vyron developed a minor issue… Yes it needs lowering at the front slightly… Been working on the lads bike today, not got to mine just yet… But it was a little high on the front when i rode yesterday… only 2-3mm…. but enough yes.

Premier Icon joebristol

I mean that deluxe is fine for a bottom end shock. Just basic low speed rebound adjustment externally. No idea if it’s got the right tune for your bike. You could probably give it a bit more adjustment by adding a Megneg to it – for more mid range support.

But it’s still not going to give the same riding experience as the Marz coil – I think that has lsc and lsr adjustments but obviously it’s a coil so is going to be more plush on small stuff (more grip) and hold up better in the mid range – assuming your bike has the right leverage curve to run a coil.

For me it would be a bad compromise just to fit in 300ml more liquid in a bottle. I’d just run a Camelbak backpack or hip pack for hydration requirements.

Premier Icon weeksy

assuming your bike has the right leverage curve to run a coil

the G170 is well regarded in terms of coil compatibility yes.

Premier Icon Yak

Maybe the Cane Creek DBCoil inline if you need more space? More ££££s though.

Premier Icon weeksy

Maybe the Cane Creek DBCoil inline if you need more space? More ££££s though.

Yeah i’m not going to be lobbing £500 at it… that’s not an option. I agree it would resolve problems yes… but that’s down to budget then and there’s simply not budget there.

Premier Icon joebristol

Db coil il is the coil solution tbf if you don’t want a piggyback.

If going to air with no piggy I’d probably want a deluxe ultimate (for the damping adjustment) and add a Megneg.

Or a CC db air il – but that’s also £££

Premier Icon nixie

Canyon missed a trick not covering the mouth pieces on those bottles. Looks like a nice arrangement though with the option on sticking a pump on top as well.

Premier Icon Jordan

Canyon missed a trick not covering the mouth pieces on those bottles. Looks like a nice arrangement though with the option on sticking a pump on top as well.

Yeah they really did on what otherwise looks to be a great idea. Especially as the bottles get no shielding by the downtube like that. In the bottom picture on the page it shows a downtube covered in sh1t yet somehow the bottles stay miraculously clean.

Premier Icon weeksy

Well interestingly i was looking over the bike today and you know when they say “hindsight, it’s a wonderful tool” well it really may be in this case.

I’ve got this shock as you know, the Marzochi Bomber CR, which has not only spring rate but has high and low speed settings to play with too.

Well, i’ve not really touched it since buying the bike… and today i bounced on the bike and thought “woah, that’s exceptionally slow”..

Click, click…. “still slow”….. click click click….”Still slow, getting better”…. click click….”yeah that’s more like it….” but that was 7 clicks faster of rebound…. Errrrrm that seems a LOT.

Premier Icon joebristol

Bomber CR shock should have lsc and lsr. Rebound is the red one, gold is the lsc. It’s basically a rebranded Fox Van I believe.
    Are you saying you’ve just been running with it set completely wrong, or that something has changed and that’s why you’ve tried tweaking rebound?

The tuning guide isn’t very helpful – for my Fox Float X air shock Fox give you a ballpark number of clicks for rebound vs your spring weight / sag:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1640/5435/files/605-00-205_Marzocchi-BomberCR-Tuning-Guide-white-RevA_00f1410e-bd39-47fa-954d-01d6823cfe55.pdf?1415

Premier Icon weeksy

Are you saying you’ve just been running with it set completely wrong

Yeah i rekon 🙂

Sag is right…. seems the rebound, not so much 🙂

Premier Icon joebristol

Lol – your bike will feel quite a lot more lively now I’d have thought – at least at low shaft speeds. It might have been packing the shock down whilst pedalling making it feel sluggish.

Have you ever played with lsc – if not and the bike bobs a bit under pedalling you could improve that too.

Premier Icon weeksy

NOt yet…. but it’s something i’ll play with this weekend if i get a chance at Surrey Hills.

Premier Icon razorrazoo

Not had the shockwiz on it yet then?

Premier Icon weeksy

It’s coil.

Premier Icon weeksy

Cracking bit of fun today at FoD with @joebristol.
    Started with the usual DH trails but then we went over to do Y2K and elephant Man. The drop mid way down Y2K is a bit fruity and made both of us wake up!
    Joe then showed me some off piste on the other side of the road, was excellent and techie fun stuff at times, certainly kept me on my toes, and once lying on the floor lol.

I also got to try his bike which is I think a Transition Sentinel. 29er and very slack head angle. Felt a bit weird to ride and his wider bars also made that quite strange, but it went well, however I still think I’m a 27.5 guy.

The G170 was ace again and coped brilliantly with everything I hit. Dropped 1 click of rebound off the shock and may add a little air into the front.

Most interesting though was Joe’s comments on my riding style, which didn’t shock me but was quite eye opening that someone else can see the issues I know I have

More to work on

Premier Icon honourablegeorge

bonzodog

Need to bin the crazy short stem for a 35mm one

Blimey, modern bikes make me feel so old.

Surely anything less than 50mm is just a weld

The Renthal is 32mm, not sure a 35 will be all that different. 32mm is as close as a 31.8 bar can get to a 1 1/8 steerer without touching.

Premier Icon weeksy

Stem is 40mm.

Premier Icon joebristol

Yeah, Sentinel 2022 alloy. 63.6 degree headangle – although mines probably half a degree steeper than standard as it has a 150mm fork on there right now instead of 160mm. I’m loving the 29er thing tbf – I thought I was 27.5 for life but have changed my mind now.

That trail where you fancied a quick lie down was a bit more tricky than I expected it to be – maybe we should have taken the left hand option perhaps! I don’t like steep / narrow / rooty / cut up stuff as a matter of course but the rest was good. Really enjoyed the trails we did today.

I think with a few tweaks you’d be cornering a lot faster – setting up to go in wider at the start (to make the corner les sharp) more than anything else. I reckon that’s why you’re having to brake more because on the inside line you have to go slower to make the turn. On the straight bumpy bits we were going a similar speed.

Premier Icon weeksy

Thanks lots for the pointers matey. I’ll be working on it for sure.

Just checked and my other bars 25-30mm wider. So may give them a whirl. They’re 35mm dia stem. I did wanna try the 31.8 but nothing against the 35s.

I’ll also decide whether to try the DHF maxtera or the Dissector max tera on the front end instead of the vigilante fast rolling compound.

Nice as it would be to steal the Assegai, I’m not sure I justify it lol. Although I could just steal that (maxgrip) and buy him another after payday I guess.

Premier Icon joebristol

Maybe I should have brought the gum-x Wild Enduro for you to have a look at. That’s great at this time of year – better than a tough / fast vigilante at pretty much everything.

I don’t think handlebar diameter makes a huge difference. My 31.8mm carbon brand x bars have more flex than all the alloy 35mm bars I’ve had – but I’ve never tried a car on 35mm bar to compare.

Dhf is better at this time of year than the dissector I’d say – dissector is faster rolling but deals with slop less well – still better than an aggressor though at everything I think.

Premier Icon weeksy

COUldn’t be bothered taking the DHF off the front of the lads spare wheel.. so ended up throwing the Dissector on my front of the G-170.

Also fitted the wider bars as an experiment.

This afternoon is apparently off to Goring for jump practice.. my legs are still tired from being beasted uphill by joebristol but we’ll be mostly driving there so won’t be too terrible.

Premier Icon joebristol

I wish I could ride my bike today – back to work though so doubt I’ll get out until next weekend somewhere local.

With the lack of rain we’ve had the dissector might be ok – although it’s fast rolling rather than good in slop. 3c compound though so it should do better than the vigilante on hardpack etc.

What hills 🤪

Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.