Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New Bike Day*
  • Alex

* not actually arrived yet, but when it does it’ll be one of these

Nordest-Bardino-II

Two of my riding mates have Pipedream Moxie’s and they look so much fun. I’ve ridden many, many hardtails over the last 20 years, Rigid, Singlespeed, short forked, long forked, etc. My two favourites were my DMR Switchback and my (current) Solaris Max.

But I’ve never has a super slack, 160mm hardtail. It makes no sense on paper, it’s going to be heavy, I’ll need to strip my lovely Solaris to build it and we don’t really have the steep terrainf or it here (nor do I have the skills to ride the super steep stuff).

Still bought it anyway. It’ll get a recently serviced 160mm Lyrik with the posh damper, Ibis 938 wheels, 2.5/2.6 tyres, 1×11 XT, long dropper, wide bars and short stem.

More pics when it turns up.

reeksy

My main riding buddy has a Bardino 150mm and I ride a SolarisMAX 140mm. We pretty much ride the same speed. Main difference i noticed is the extra reach on the Cotoc.
    Love the colour scheme on the Nordest, such a great looking bike.

Alex

There are so many fantastic 120-140mm hardtails available. I run my SolarisMax at 140mm and it’s a whole lot of fun. I also have the Med which is probably the ‘wrong’ size for me at 5ft11 but I prefer the smaller Cotics (also had a M FlareMax v1).I did a geo analysis between the Bardino and the Solaris and there’s not much esp reach/stack so I know it’ll fit.

I wanted something different to everything I’d ridden before –  did consider TI but it’s too much money and I’ve always liked steel HTs even if most of the benefits have probably been overstated!

I’m not expecting to be any faster but I hope it’s going to feel different/need a different riding style to previous HTs. 64 deg head angle might not be super slack nowadays but slacker than anything I’ve ridden.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    singlespeedstu

Nice bike.
    Mrsstu loves hers.
    Nordest.

reeksy

To be fair my mates is a M/L versus my L. I actually test rode it before he bought it and found it too short and I’m 6ft… Long torso.

Alex

It is a nice looking bike there @singlespeedstu 🙂

@reeksy
    – interesting. I’ve ordered the ML based on a chat with the guys at Nordest. They said either was fine, but recommended the ML.  I’ve done some pretty big days out on my Solaris Max so happy with the sizing.

One other reason for the Nordest is it’ll take the chubbies I run on the Max. I prefer it on the chubbies so it’ll be fun to try 29/27.5+ on the Bardino. I might even go Mullet!

Alex

Oh and the ‘II’ is 10mm longer than the original.

reeksy

I look forward to hearing how you find it @Alex What’s the lead time?

Alex

Ordered Thursday. Had the ‘order complete’ email last night so assume it’s shipping. If so hope it with me sometime next week.

NormalMan

Because of my skim reading mind I read 938 wide bars 😱

Enjoy the new bike 😎

singlespeedstu

If so hope it with me sometime next week.

Mrsstu’s took around a week to arrive.
    They even gave her a discount on her second one after the first frame got damaged when a car hit her…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@Alex fancy selling the Solaris frame?

Alex

@howsyourdad1 – not sure yet.  If I do, I’ll let you know. Tempted to keep it although not quite sure why!

@singlespeedstu
    – Possibility then of getting it built before next weekend… 🙂 Good of them to give a discount, bummer of a reason why!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@Alex ok great! Let me know!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@Alex ok great! Let me know!

Alex

Bardino is here :)

Turned up yesterday. Paint and welds look top notch. Didn’t bother with an invisiframe kit for it, so a roll and a half 3M eBay tape was applied instead. Not by me as I hate the bloody stuff. My wife doesn’t like it much either but she’s a very competent applicator 🙂

Off to a mates to build it later. All being well, proper ride tomorrow.

trumpton
    Free Member

Looks like you have quite a collection of FS bikes.nice frame.

matt_outandabout

That’s nice… Real nice.

Alex

Looks like you have quite a collection of FS bikes

There’s one missing. My Ripley is out of shot. But the Spesh Enduro is my mates who ‘left it with me for a week’ back in 2015 😉

I’ve just given the tape a quick run over with the hot air gun. Looks pretty good. £16 and I’ve lots left. Cannot justify a £80 kit for a £500 frame.

Alex

Build pics

Nordest Bardino II

My mate’s garage. Surprising as it may seem, this is considered ‘tidy’

Nordest Bardino II

Back wheel in. Boost with non boost cranks. Not an ideal chainline.

Nordest Bardino II

Two year old Lyrik’s “upgraded” with new decals.

Nordest Bardino II

First chainring fitted to old XTR cranks. Ended up putting a non oval one on as this one wasn’t as new as I remembered!

Nordest Bardino II

Just seatpost, sealant and a few other jobs to finish

Nordest Bardino II

Quick test ride. Horrible noises from transmission. Back in the stand to switch chainrings. Which involved an angle grinder as XTR cranks have some weird standards.

Nordest Bardino II

Nordest Bardino II

Done 🙂

Alex

Big all-day ride tomorrow. I think it’ll take me longer to get used to riding a HT than this particular bike. Been six months since I last rode a HT.  It feels sorted tho. Not too slack, not to heavy, not to long. We’ll see on some proper trails.

Spec is

Nordest Bardino II (ML)

Rockshox Lyriks 160mm (2018)

Ibis 938 wheels, 2.6 MM front, 2.35 NN rear both with RIMPACT inserts

XTR cranks and mech (2017), Superstar chainring.

XT 11 speed cassette and shifter.

KS Lev 170mm post and one-up actuator (2017)

Ragly saddle, Spank bars and stem all from 2017.

Weight. 31.5lbs.

I thought it’d be heavier as it’s not a light frame and the tyres are heavy, esp the front. All the old kit has cycled through a few bikes but will certainly see me through the winter.

TheGhost
    Free Member

Nice.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Is that 650b flavour? Or 29er?

I’ve convinced myself its both/nether!

kayak23

Lovely that 👌

singlespeedstu

Garage needs more crap in it.
    Lawns a disgrace.

😉

Alex

Is that 650b flavour? Or 29er?

650b+ or 29. My Solaris Max spent 99% of its time on the 650 chubbies. Starting on 29s on this ones.

Lawns a disgrace

It’s better than it was. Last year the local council ran out of money to mow it. You could lose a good size dog it there 🙂

matt_outandabout

Those boulders would play a havoc with the lawnmower blade.

A seriously nice looking bike that.

Thier steel ‘do it all’ gravelish bike is on my wish list.

Alex

Yeah I saw that. Looks to tick many boxes

Bardino first ride

So the bike was great. Really interesting compared to the Solaris Max. Rode some pretty steep and rocky trails. Faster you go the better it its. Definitely needs more body english in the corners.

Bardino first ride

Probably should have warned you about that 🙂 Riding a hardtail for the first time in six months showed up a skills gap. All steri-stripped now and added to my long catalogue of ‘bear trap’ scars!

matt_outandabout

You plum…

Alex

Fair 🙂

CheesybeanZ

It’s just a flesh wound 🙃🙃

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘New Bike Day*’ is closed to new replies.