New Bike Content – Genesis Fortitude Adventure :-) Rigid/29er/Alfine/Fat

Home Forum Bike Forum New Bike Content – Genesis Fortitude Adventure :-) Rigid/29er/Alfine/Fat

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New Bike Content – Genesis Fortitude Adventure :-) Rigid/29er/Alfine/Fat
  • Gotama

I don’t suppose you’re anywhere near the south of england are you?

Premier Icon letmetalktomark
    Subscriber

Suffolk ….. Why?

Gotama

Looking at getting hold of a fully rigid and this was one that popped up as an option along with the Unit. Was just a bit concerned about the length of the effective top tube but you’re the same height as me so on the extreme off chance you were south of london i was going to ask if i could swing a leg over yours. The only demo near me is a medium so not a great deal of use.

Looks lovely by the way.

Subscriber

Were you thinking too short or long?

This set up has a 100mm stem and a slightly swept back bar.

May try a shorted stem though.

Naranjada

I asked this question on the other rigid thread …your bike looks nice, what fork/wheel/tyre combo do you have?

And won’t the Knard tyre be greater in diameter than the 26″ fat rubber that you currently have and so raise the front end up too much, or have you done the maths and worked it all out?

I really fancy this setup for an all purpose, low maintenance bike.

Subscriber

Naranjada – Member

I asked this question on the other rigid thread …your bike looks nice, what fork/wheel/tyre combo do you have?

And won’t the Knard tyre be greater in diameter than the 26″ fat rubber that you currently have and so raise the front end up too much, or have you done the maths and worked it all out?

I really fancy this setup for an all purpose, low maintenance bike.

Fork – Surly Pugsley 100mm Spaced
    Wheel – Viz trials rim 48mm wide, bog std Shimano hub
    Tyre – Vee Rubber Devestator 26 x 4.0

Knard will be a very similar total height of the fat wheel – shouldn’t trow out handling.

Plan will be to use a 48mm rim and a low pressure.

Unloaded the bike may look strange but when loaded with rider the balance should be addressed.

Should πŸ˜‰

Naranjada

@letmetalktomark – cheers πŸ˜€

Gotama

Was thinking too short but you’re right in that its made up with the stem. My thoughts were based on my current yelli screamy which is 20mm longer in the ett but with a 50mm stem. 70mm stem and they’ll be bang on the same although i do like short stems, hmm.

Subscriber

Knard tyre mounted has a size of about 30.5 inches.

The front wheel (29er) on the bike above is about 29.8 inches so thats a difference of 17.5 mm πŸ˜•

So by my books that makes a difference of just under 9mm in ride height.

Makes sense in my mind πŸ˜†

Subscriber

Morning All,

First thing this morning snapped a few pics of my freshly built Genesis Fortitude Adventure

Before I go any further the steerer will be cut at lunchtime!

I have had a couple of 29ers and despite being 6′ 3” never got on with them πŸ˜•

When I saw the Fortitude range I like the idea of a non suspension corrected frame to keep the front end low.

I had most of the bits for a build – I needed a wheel build but thats all – so I went with the frame only option.

I managed to get a dusk ride in last night and whilst not being light in the slightest defies its weight but just rolling over everything!

First proper ride will be tomorrow.

A bit of a mish mash of parts but ……

I already had the fork as I have a fat front wheel for this build too – I have to say I am happy to find a Knard will fit in the forks too!

Edit – Fat frontage pic

Grass needs cutting I know πŸ˜†

A big thank you to the guys at 18 Bikes and the guys (and gals) at Revel Outdoors

ds3000

That’s very nice indeed.

Am I right in thinking that the setup you have would be perfect for snow?

Naranjada

Yep, 9mm isn’t going to be noticeable.

I’m now into computations for Surly rim/tyre combo based around a 100mm Pugsley fork on the front of a Fortitude Adventure.

I think Marge Lite & Nate would go together well. There’s no spec on the Surly site for the Nate tyre but quick Google says 3.8″ and so will fit OK on Marge Lite’s 65mm width, and again a quick Google confirms that.

I think I could quite fancy one of these but need to clear a few other things out first.

vorlich

I like the look of this. Can someone explain the half fat theory? Doesn’t the skinny rear compromise the float of the fat front end?

Subscriber

vorlich – Member

I like the look of this. Can someone explain the half fat theory? Doesn’t the skinny rear compromise the float of the fat front end?

To be honest its all a bit experimental.

I guess its like having a short travel fork up front.

Suffolk ….. Why?

Hate to say it, but what a cracking Thetters machine. πŸ˜‰

vorlich

So intended use isn’t snow/sand?

Subscriber

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member

Hate to say it, but what a cracking Thetters machine.

I am looking forward to riding out from Brandon πŸ˜‰

vorlich – Member

So intended use isn’t snow/sand?

Thetford is very sandy πŸ˜†

As I say its more a bit of fun

avdave2

I like that, having just gone 69 on my rigid hub geared bike that looks perfect. Well it would be if they made a small enough frame for me. It would be nice to see more rigid specific frames with the increasing popularity of 29ers.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New Bike Content – Genesis Fortitude Adventure :-) Rigid/29er/Alfine/Fat’ is closed to new replies.