• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Akers.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New Bike Build: Which Frame?
  • greenskin
    Free Member

So I’m looking to build a new bike, but I cannot decide between these three frames:

Yeti SB150 – Specialized Enduro S-works – Santa Cruz Megatower

Anybody got any pearls of wisdom, knowledge or anecdotes they wanna share to help me make a damn decision?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’d get the Enduro just because its a little less dentisty.  😃

nah in all seriousness, I have had a good few goes on a megatower, and despite it looking gorgeous I wasn’t that impressed.  So it would be the Yeti or the Speci

submarined
    Free Member

I’d get the Enduro just because its a little less dentisty.

Have you seen how many root canals you need to do to buy even a normal ’20 Enduro with a crap spec?!

honourablegeorge

I wouldn’t have a Yeti because of warranty/quality. Specialized by a mile, based on geometry.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

There was some Trek Slash and Remedy frames on sale at Triton Cycles, Saracen and Mondraker at Bike Tart and Banshee somewhere else 😆

mehr
    Free Member

In true STW fashion, forget all them and get a Gravity Guerilla Smash

greenskin
    Free Member

@submarined that’s why I’m building from a frame. Better spec for the same or less price. The Spesh is definitely pushing to the top, especially after seeing the finish on the frame option.

marksnook
    Free Member

With that finish the spec for sure!!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

how much is the frame only, and where from?

Tracey

Frames retail at £3299 and have just started filtering in but not all sizes available yet

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Yeti – heard way too many horror stories about them direct from owners.
    Santa Cruz – overpriced IMO and they’re always a bit behind on geo. Way too much anti squat on all the ones I’ve ridden (admittedly not the Megatower).
    Specialized – that’s silly money for a frame from a mass market brand.

Personally, I’d be looking at something like a Geometron at that money.

JP

RickDraper
    Free Member

Have you seen how many bearings that Enduro needs i the rear triangle! That would put me off that one straight away.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Are you indulging @tracey ?

greenskin
    Free Member

I’ve looked at the smaller niche brands, thing is I keep my bikes for a while and I don’t want to take the risk on one, they go belly up and I can’t get spares, or they simply stop machining the parts as they make new bikes.

I want carbon, I want a known brand and it’s between these three, well teo. The Yeti is out. Read some absolute howlers about them tonight.

Tracey

Abigale will need to throw a leg over a couple of the sizes before we make any decisions. Also need to move some stuff to make more room in the garage after adding a Stumpy ST to the fold.
    Abigale has been putting it through its paces in Wharncliffe for the last couple of weekends and is enjoying it.
    Had to go medium as the large felt too long for her.

tall_martin

Nikolai have been going for ages and keep parts in stock for 10 years.

They made me a new chain stay when I stuffed mine- through user error. If I’d bought mine new it would have been covered under warranty

So I’ll recommend what I have- a geometron😀

Akers

I heard mixed reviews on the Megatower. I rode with a guy recently who rode a Hightower LT, he demo’d a Megatower and hated it. The ride on Cruz’s always seems to be marmite.

Any reason you’ve ruled out the likes of the Ibis Ripmo, Pivot Firebird 29, Nukeproof Mega 290c and Orbea Rallon?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New Bike Build: Which Frame?’ is closed to new replies.