Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • New bike build. Undecided. What does STW suggest?
  • colournoise

Couple of weeks back I posted about the surprise ROCKETMAX frame Zoe got me for my big birthday. Normally when it comes to a build I have an idea in my head for ages about what I want to do, but this was out of the blue so unusually I’m feeling a bit undecided.

For context my (now defunct?) Rocket is a 27.5 mk2 but I run it as a 26+ with 2.8 tyres on it. I also have 27.5+ Sonder Transmitter with 2.8s so clearly I’m a fan of chubby tyred bikes. The RocketMAX might get the odd run round the local woods but that’s really the Transmitter’s territory, so the new bike is likely to be for trips out to trail centres, bike parks and proper hills (Peak and Lakes are favourites).

Probably going with 29er 160mm boost Lyrics to keep my options open but wheelwise not sure whether to go 27.5+, 29, or even mullet… Looking at DT Swiss wheels for value or Hunt as they seem to be the wheels du jour. What would STW do?

Drivetrain I’m still really intrigued by the Microshift Advent wide range 9 speed stuff, but a bit nonplussed by what cranks and chainring to pair it with. Anyone running a RocketMAX or FlareMAX with a non-boost crankset and how’s that going? Or should I toe the market’s line and go 11/12 speed (never got beyond 1×10 on any of my other bikes)?

Can’t see past another Brand X dropper for value and fit and forgetness, but what else is out there?

If it matters, I’m 5’6″and the frame is a small.

Finally (and this one tearing me up more than it should but then I am an art teacher…), I’ve got the metal on metal frame and am struggling with the colourscheme (I know…). Obvious is to keep everything else black but also thinking about contact points as colour accents. Orange or red would be obvious but clichéd. Reckon Cyan would work too but harder to source? Open to ideas from the other crayonistas here.

TIA for helping with my first world problems.

chakaping
    Free Member

DT Swiss wheels for quality & durability
    I’d go 29er for the main wheels – but put a 2.6in Magic Mary on the front
    12 speed Shimano XT drivetrain (with SLX mech & chain if penny pinching)
    Consider a 170mm Lyrik

I like to use accent colours on grips, chainring & pedals – blue on two of my bikes and red on the other. Dictated by stickers on two and the red Lyrik on the other bike.

PS. If you’re after some B-plus wheels I have some nice Stans Baron S1 from my SolarisMax which I can’t use on any of my bikes now.

jkomo

Sports Pursuit had bonkers deals on forks, I’m sure there was Lyrics there. I’m happy with my Manitou Mattocks, worth a look.
    Drive train are all the same to me- SLX, XT whatever. I’d definitely plump for the four pot XT or Deore. £15 Planet X bash guard and top guide has been fine, as have my Stans Arch from superstar. The set up has been fairly maintenance free after 2 visits a month to BPW for last 2 years.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘New bike build. Undecided. What does STW suggest?’ is closed to new replies.