Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New bike build
  • KT1973
    Free Member

I have just upgraded almost everything on my Santa Cruz Superlight.
    New spec as follows:

Santa Cruz Superlight large size with Fox RP-23 in anodised blue (from 2007)
    Rock Shox Ream Team 120mm with Maxle light
    Front wheel DT Swiss 4.2 rim with Hope Pro 2 hub (ano blue)
    Rear wheel Mavic 717D on Hope Pro 2 (ano blue)
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph EVO folding 2.1" tyres
    Shimano XT M770 chainset + BB
    Shimano XTR M970 pedals
    Shimano XT M770 cassette
    SRAM PG 990 chain
    Shimano XT M761 rear derailleur (from previous build)
    Shimano XT M770 gear shifters
    Shimano XT M770 front derailleur
    New XT cables
    Race Face Next carbon low riser bars
    Lizard Skins Peaty lock on grips
    Easton EA70 90mm stem
    Cane Creek headset
    Charge Knife saddle
    waiting for new seat post so currently using old Bonty

…and last but not least- Avid BB7 mech disks from old build
    I got new cables, sintered pads and Avid cleansweep G3 160mm rotors. I think they work great now they're bedded in and they are light and low maintenance but some folk think I'm nuts for not changing to hydros, any opinions on this? They also get a great review on MTBR website

Been outfor a couple of xc runs around the local area this week and I'm loving it. Pic from phone below so not too good quality.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What kind of cable end-caps did you use?

Are they working out OK?

KT1973
    Free Member

Not too sure about the caps cynic-al- as I forgot to mention that I had the bike built up at the LBS.

The brakes feel like they're working great but I'm worried I may be missing out by not choosing some decent hydraulics such as formulas etc

Daffy

Looks like full length outers rather than cable stops.

Nice BTW.

kiwijohn

Nothing wrong with BB7's.

stew1982
    Free Member

just watch for cable stretch on your first ride down a fast decent!

br
    Free Member

And get that front brake cable behind/inside the forks, otherwise a branch (or something) will rip it out.

And yes, go hydraulic…

epicsteve
    Free Member

Nice bike. Despite having hydro's on 3 of my bikes I'm still running BB7's on the other one and don't find it an issue at all.

cynic-al
    Free Member

*whoosh*

I found my Superlight really flexy, hopeuyou don't.

KT1973
    Free Member

I did previously notice some flex when cornering hard but it's a lot better now with the maxle reba teams on. I sometimes lock out the shocks (f&r) on the flat and it feels pretty stiff.
    I've heard the newer model is more rigid and I did consider getting one – I may still update to the new frame at some point in the future though.

firestarter
    Free Member

bb7s are great brakes cables look like they need some attention mind. I do like those bikes 🙂

KT1973
    Free Member

Total weight for the bike is 24lb exactly inc pedals & dirt

mattyh222
    Free Member

as said above ^^ get the brake cable on the inside of the fork leg, and go out and get loose on the ice and wet mud on those tyres, the new machine has got RRs on, hate the nobby nics but for some odd reason these RRs are hilarious in the thick stuff.

matt

KT1973
    Free Member

For some reason, I feel like these are rolling more slowly than the hutcheson python front and panaracer fire xc rear ust set ups I had before (on mavic crosstrails) but I may just be imagineing this since its been wet and windy when I was out on it

rOcKeTdOg

BB7s are great brakes, simple to set up and look after and never need bleeding!

bike looks ace btw

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New bike build’ is closed to new replies.