Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • New bike – Blur LT, Bandit, Mega TR … Strive?
  • funkybaj
    Free Member

Had a Stumpjumper FSR for a while now but as my riding improves I’m starting to crave a new bike. I find the bike doesn’t feel as solid as other bikes I’ve ridden (mates bikes – Zesty, Nerve AM, Five) and I’d like something designed a bit more for fun with appropriate geo.

I’m looking at purchasing a frame and building up, my shortlist is:

Blur LT – Been around a while but updated over the years. Demoed one a few weeks ago and it felt very solid, liked to get in the air but still peddled really well. Looks like being discontinued mind as SC push 650b everything.

Bandit – Can’t find one local to demo but reviews are full of praise, particularly for it’s fun nature and strong design.

Mega TR – Seem to be available at last, no reviews yet but I’d imagine it’s a great ride, geo sounds good. Unsure of the Monarch shock mind and the two above come with Fox Kashima for a similar price.

Anyone experience of the above bikes/frames? I’m really not going to find demos easy for the last two. Anything else I’ve missed? Yeti’s look a bit out my budget and I want a different bike to those owned by my riding buddies.

Looked at a Canyon Strive as an alternate choice. Whole bike is great value and I assume it flies down the hills. Looks to weigh a bit more than my other options though and unsure how it would be pedaling all day long. Anyone ride one and compare to the above?

Help!

jairaj

I have a Bandit and obviously … I totally love it.

It’s only got 130mm at the rear but was far more capable than the travel would suggest. Its got a very fun character to it, you’ll want to pop of every little bump on the trail. But it also pedals very well too. I never turn on the platform and leave the shock fully open. Have a look at bike radar’s review of it, I thought that was very accurate report.

Transition have a UK demo fleet that they can send out to dealers. I know they have a bandit in medium because I tried it 🙂 Have a word with your local Transition dealer to see if they can one or contact Transition directly to see what they can arrange for you.

funkybaj
    Free Member

Interesting thanks, I’ll contact them directly to see if I can find one.

The Bandit was top of my list before demoing any bikes due to the reviews. I’d seen that review and that fun poppy nature is what I’m after along with something I can still peddle.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

About to go lt solid sorted and available now. Sc still doing 26 with the new tr the ltc got an upgrade. But why worry your buying now not next year.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Said it twice

mrhoppy

I’ve got a Bandit and agree with jairaj. It’s a remarkably capable bike for the (relatively) short travel, I ride with guys on bigger bikes and rarely feel under biked. Really like its playful nature, much more comfortable in the air with this than the blur 4x I had before.

funkybaj
    Free Member

What colour Bandits do you guys have? The black/grey looks quite subtle yet the orange and yellow are pretty out there!

I’ve contacted a few dealers about a demo. Are any of you guys with a Bandit in the Midlands area?

jairaj

Sorry I’m down south. The dealer I got mine through was Chaineys Cycles in Milton Keynes, in case that’s any where near you?

I’ve got the Yellow one and it looks much better in the flesh. It’s almost a two tone Yellow and Green metallic finish. very nice indeed.

The orange one looked a little too pastel for me, I’d want a proper bright day glow orange.

But the Silver is nice and understated. I really like the blue one the bandit29 comes in unfortunately that colour is not available in the 26 version.

funkybaj
    Free Member

They’re one of the dealers I’m waiting to hear back from, about 50 miles from me so not too bad.

Agree about that blue, shame it’s a 29er only colour.

Was yours built up or did you go frame only and diy? How is the weight look once built?

mrhoppy

Black and white, a bit boring compared to some of the newer colours but it matches the fleet. I’m in Shropshire, there’s Plush Hill Cycles at the foot of the Mynd but I think they’ve got the 29 version as a permanent demo.

Rosss
    Free Member

Swinnertons on the chase have had Transitions in from time to time and they’re pretty good with demos i’d give them a shout. They’ve got plenty of Santa Cruz in too.

funkybaj
    Free Member

hoppy – Plush Hill were the other dealer I’ve contacted, sounds like they can get one from Transition for me, would be great giving it a run out on the Mynd.

Rosss – I demoed the Blur from Swinnertons, didn’t think they were a Transition dealer though.

jairaj

I went frame only as I wanted to use my existing parts to keep costs down. But in the end went for a new drive train as everything looked pretty worn out.

I went for the BOS Vip’r shock upgrade it was only £50 more. I never used the pro pedal on the Fox shock on the demo bike so that wouldn’t be missed. Also got told the damping and reliability is better on the BOS shocks.

I haven’t weighted the bike yet but it feels lighter than I thought it would. I went from a C456 to the Bandit and only notice a bit more heft to carry up the hills, the rear suspension is much much more of a benefit to me then a slightly lower weight.

mrhoppy

Mines a large, fits me fine at 5’11, could maybe sort something out once I’m back from the Alps in early July.

Rosss
    Free Member

From looking at their website i’d say they’d dropped transition

twohats
    Free Member

Blur LT discontinued, no longer on the Santa Cruz website, replaced by the Bronson.

funkybaj
    Free Member

Indeed, still on the UK site though, just removed from the US. I’ve read that the Bronson was the new Blur until it changed to 650b during development.

Thanks for the Bandit help guys, hopefully a demo will be sorted soon to see what the fuss is about.

One more question actually … the large head tube length is 145mm, so with a stem and other bits it looks like a fork with a steerer around 200mm!?

mindmap3
    Free Member

The guys at Plush Hill cycles are really helpful.

What about something like the new Banshee Spitfire? It’s a 140mm travel designed for a 160mm forks and is super slack. I think Blazing Bikes are due to get a demi soon. I’ve just got a Rune and am really impressed with it so far…the CCDBa is great and the KS Link suspension seems to work well.

honourablegeorge

Blur TR might be a closer equivalent to the other two.

blurltrider
    Free Member

Knolly Endorphin – an amazing bike.

thorpie
    Free Member

Orange Bandit 26, love it. Had an orange Soul before but the Bandit is so impressive, I’m particularly impressed with it’s climbing ability and great on the downs so far!

haggis1978

I’ve got a Blur LTc here and its superb! Better than my old Epiphany and maybe even my Horst Link 5 Spot 😯

zelak999
    Free Member

Another Blur LTc owner here too.
    I love it, solid, dependable, point and shoot thriller.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Recently built up a second-hand Blur LTc and I am incredibly pleased with it. So far it does everything better than my previous ASR5. Nothing wrong with the ASR5 as such, but the Blur just seems to suit me so much better. Little to no pedal bob, even with shock fully open, phenomenal climbing on smooth or technical, fast and fun on undulating stuff. Descents it is very composed on steep, fast stuff, soaks up drops and jumps in its stride, feels unbelievably stiff, corners brilliantly and is just straight up great fun to ride.

funkybaj
    Free Member

I did really enjoy my demo on the Blur, albeit an LT rather than LTc. Will be really interesting seeing how the Bandit compares when I sort a demo out.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I have been fortunate to have a stumpjumper, and now run a bandit they are totally different, the bandit for me is better at climbing, more agile and responsive on singletrack and perhaps not as stable on the downs but it feels quicker, perhaps due to the new ctd kashima shock and short chainstays. I have also ridden the blur, but in the end chose the bandit in a 2013 frame option and built it up. You won’t be disappointed with the bandit.

funkybaj
    Free Member

That’s interesting fudge, what Stumpjumper did you have?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Fsr Expert with the brain, good but heavy, my bandit comms in at 27lbs next upgrade is a ks lev.

jairaj

Agree with Fudge, tried a mates old Spec once, the FSR system is quite plush and composed. Similar to Treks full floater system. I’m sure in a race those systems would lead to quicker times as they seemed to have more grip under braking and smooth out the bumps a bit more.

But I ride bikes for fun and the Bandit gave me the biggest smile.

chakaping
    Free Member

Canyon Nerve AL+ is more in line with the others you’re considering?

funkybaj
    Free Member

I think it’s the Triad shock which lets my Stumpy down. Maybe the QR fork and non-tappered HT, although that’s debatable really.

One of my riding buddies has the Nerve AM which is the equivalent model to the AL+ from last year. It’s a solid enough ride but doesn’t excite and I don’t want the same bike really.

funkybaj
    Free Member

Drats, not looking good for a Bandit. Been told the UK distributor is out of 26″ and isn’t getting any more in!

Next years version is 650b apparently but no word on when they’ll be available.

Very little info on the Mega TR so I may go the Blur LT route, hmmmm.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Funkybaj this bike shop is selling a frame it look new.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1309599/

funkybaj
    Free Member

Good spot, think I need a large frame though, will have to get hunting.

DeeW
    Free Member

I’ve got a Strive and very happy with it. It’s a 160mm bike with 36 forks and pedals very well for the travel, and given the value you’ll be probably able to build it a fair bit lighter than a lot of similar bikes for a given price.

As been said above the Canyon Nerve might be more what you are after.

fudge9202
    Free Member

funkybaj what height are you.

funkybaj
    Free Member

I’m about 6 foot, have read they come up a touch short so think a large is ideal.

Good spot, I’ll enquire. No chance of a demo now that Transition have non left mind. Would be buying blind.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” and run a large I’m in N. Ireland and bought blind all be it a quick run on one in Wales( around the car park) and along with the reviews and the geomtry was sold and did not regret it at all. Perhaps some of the forum users who have a bandit will give you a run if your close to them. The review on pinkbike is very true to the mark and not gushy like some bike reviews from certain journalists. The bike in a word is “playful” and a hoot to ride!

jairaj

The large would definitely be the correct size for a 6 foot person.

I’m 5.10 and was in between medium and large sizes. Went for a medium in the end as I wanted something a bit more chuckable.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘New bike – Blur LT, Bandit, Mega TR … Strive?’ is closed to new replies.