Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New bike, 6fattie content
  • LMT
    Free Member

I will admit I ordered a stache, wanted a stache but when it arrived I had second thoughts while in the shop so went for a Specialized Fuse instead, and I’m glad I did.

Where to start, the 29plus would of been too much and I’m only short, so was hoping the 27.5plus wouldn’t be as big but still give me the fun I was after.

So the bike, I need to get the tyre pressures right the more the ride went on the better it got as I kept letting the air out bit by bit. The bike itself has a couple of issues, and I’m pretty sure its the chain banging off the frame, already took a chunk of paintwork off and that’s just below the plastic protector. The second that damn quick release on the Manitou forks, its over complicated. Took me ten minutes to figure it out and I’m still unsure how I did it.

The good, ironically its the forks, I read all the time about flexi forks never really understood, but today I felt it these forks are pretty stiff and that troublesome axle is brilliant, trying to find a stealth version if they do one might make it easier.

The ride on the bike is great its nippy and flows round the trails really well, even beat some of my strava PB no idea how! The bike is just fun to ride as well, and it climbs ok its a really surprising package. The only niggle on the ride and its probably me is on a quick turn its a bit sharp, the stem is pretty short but some getting used to an it will be fine.

For the winter I’m hoping I can find a 2.5 tyre for the back to help with mud clearance if not then a normal 650b wheel. First ride out, great bike!! Oh and evans don’t sell the 27.5plus inner tubes, luckily Swinnertons at Cannock do.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MLEA8b]New speshi[/url] by manicm78, on Flickr

honourablegeorge

Specialized are releasing a line of 2.6 tyres, should suit you for the back

Nice looking bike.

Bregante

that damn quick release on the Manitou forks, its over complicated. Took me ten minutes to figure it out and I’m still unsure how I did it.

The hex one with the two little metal prongs? I had one for 12 months and I’d mess with it until I was sure I had it sussed and then next time I needed to take it off I could never get the damned thing on again. Fortunately the release lever disintegrated shortly afterwards so I didn’t have to mess about any more.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whaddya-reckon-warranty-issue

LMT
    Free Member

Yep that’s the bugger!

Bregante

Best of luck then. PITA

Shame because the forks were decent

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Great looking bike!

Cheers, Steve

LMT
    Free Member

Found a Bonty G5 team in a 2.5″ guessing they will fit the rims and a back up if specialized don’t have a smaller tyre when the winter mud kicks in. Also found a WTB Trailblazer in the 2.5″ as well so a couple of options.

rOcKeTdOg

Oh and evans don’t sell the 27.5plus inner tubes,

Just use ordinary 27.5″ tubes they work fine. I’ve used them for 12 months with no issues & a £££ saving over +specific tubes,inc 29+

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dorcdisc.

🙂

LMT
    Free Member

Yep makes sense lower pressures so no need for the extra room. Looking forward to those autumn days and casually riding through the forests, really enjoyed the quick blast through Cannock this afternoon.

CFH, I did take the bike straight from the bike shop, I got odd looks changing pedals, removing the reflectors and the stupid bell on the train as it was, plus didn’t have what I needed to remove the plastic disc. But don’t worry its been removed now.

Brainflex

set the wheels up to tubeless, it makes a big difference to the ride. Plus you then have two spare tubes

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

But don’t worry its been removed now.

LMT
    Free Member

Update on the bike, took it out a couple of times now and enjoying the ride, its just basic biking. I do forget I’ve got the extra width on the tyres and even attempted a few jumps. The surprising thing is I’m beating some of my strava times, climbing being one of them which is odd seeing as I thought it would be slower bigger tyres etc..

The things I’m noticing are some of the cheeky trails I ride they have ruts and the tyres occasionally get stuck, mud clearance is good I’ve only had 2 sinking in the mud moments both at the same place so will avoid that cheeky shortcut in future.

When I get a crosswind it does hit the tyres and you can feel it which is something ive not had before, and that noise when going downhill I still can’t figure out what it is, seatpost in the frame or chain smacking off the frame ethier way I’m sort of used to it now.

The other thing is it attracts people and lots of questions, sat at the café getting a coffee today a couple of bikers sat opposite started up conversation about the bike, and while out on the trail you get the “looks fugly how does it ride?” “why the big tyres” “that frames a bit odd” and that’s a quiet day at Cannock.

The bike has one big negative, which is really frustrating and that’s the hex axle, to get the bike in the house I have to remove the front wheel, I thought I had mastered it I really thought out today job done, got home wheel off bike outside wheel on and washed it. The wheel off to get the bike into storage would the bugger go back on, nope at the moment its sat on its forks. There has to be an easier way!!

I don’t think these sold as well in the UK as specialized planned, the US models got an upgrade for 2017, the UK got a price cut and the same bike, they must have a warehouse full of them or they just want to keep them in range to sit alongside the Stumpy 6fattie, ether way I’m glad they have.

Any recommendations for 29er wheelset I could get with the boost option? thinking long term this ones a keeper.

LMT
    Free Member

Bikes had an upgrade, now tubeless, doesn’t feel any lighter, but guessing out on the trails it will, hopefully will take her up to Scotland in the next few weeks!

Still enjoy riding this bike just brings a grin to my face every time!

Poopscoop

Nice looking bike mate!

Definite grin factor for sure. 🙂

wildc4rd
    Free Member

Tubeless is definitely the way forward, and it does take a while to sort the pressures.

The chain does batter the chainstay, mine is now wrapped in an old inner tube after taking half the paint off it within a few weeks of purchase.

LMT
    Free Member

I had a piece of electrical rubber tape left over from something, it’s pretty expensive to buy £30 a roll so wouldn’t recommend it to buy unless you have a friend in the trade, I put it both sides of the diamond seems to of stopped the clatter.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

So the bike, I need to get the tyre pressures right the more the ride went on the better it got as I kept letting the air out bit by bit.

Definitely. I rode one and liked it, then got a steel 650b+. It’s currently lodging with a friend, but when it was here I rode it more than the susser.

Bikes had an upgrade, now tubeless, doesn’t feel any lighter, but guessing out on the trails it will…

Probably not, TBH. However it does mean you can get away with silly low pressures and you may find the tyres roll (read ‘mould roudn small trail obstacles’) better. I weigh 180lb and run 13 and 15psi, front and rear respectively.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New bike, 6fattie content’ is closed to new replies.