Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • New Bfe first impressions !!
  • kelvin

Oh, I see Northwind has said the same already…

kelvin

Tricky Dicky, where did you get the Zee from?

pese88
    Free Member

About the “give” end, does it feel like an aluminium hardtail? Everybody says that steel HT are much more pleasant when rolling over harsh stuff than aluminium ones (rocks, roots, etc)
    Is it also this way in the BFe or is it so overbuilt that you dont get the advantages of the steel?

Kryton57

Renton, nice bike and I’ve got to say how refreshing your honesty is – most post about new bikes don’t have the critical pieces of info.

I’ve been watching your Bfe posts and others, hankering after this kind of build. Years a go I has a Cove stiffee and sold it as it battered me to pieces.

I like my comfort, and am a bit chickensh*t over obstacles and drops, so with your critique about the harder ride you’ve probably saved me building up a frame and throwing money at something I don’t really need.

Good luck with it, it looks fantastic.

jambalaya
    Free Member

pese88 – Member
    About the “give” end, does it feel like an aluminium hardtail? Everybody says that steel HT are much more pleasant when rolling over harsh stuff than aluminium ones (rocks, roots, etc)
    Is it also this way in the BFe or is it so overbuilt that you dont get the advantages of the steel?

My BFe is very comfortable, a much less harsh ride than my old Alu Hardrock. It’s a more pleasant XC ride than my Reign which while it has the FS cushioning at the back end is harder work to get around on.

pese88
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply jambalaya, good to know that despite being overbuilt (good for durability) it is still quite comfortable and bumb-absorbing.

renton
    Free Member

Hi all thanks for the replies!!

Can I just point out again that this is my first impression of the frame and its based on a quick 5 mins spin round the block.

yes I do find it hard but i am coming off full sussers which ive been on for over 3 years and my riding style has adapted a such.

I probbably said the same thing going from a hardtail to a full susser!! :mrgreen:

Im going to take it out this afternoon for a longer spin nd do some cockpit fettling to try and sort it out !!

please dont let my impressions put you off buying a Bfe though, its a fantastic looking frame and the build quality and finish are excellent.

I guess I just need to mtfu massively and get it pinned!

One thing I will say is that everytime I look at it the thing makes me smile,Ive not done that over a bike Ive owned for a long time !!

mildred

Those measurements for the fork suggest you have a 140mm float fitted. IIRC the float can be raised and lowered by installing a plastic spacer – my old float 140’s measured exactly 145mm, so I’m guessing yours have had the spacers removed by the previous owner.

In my experience as a former soul & Bfe owner I’d suggest you also have at least 30mm too many spacers under the stem.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@renton, so it felt harsh riding on tarmac (round he block?) !

renton
    Free Member

yep and up the grass hill up the back of the house too !!

like I said ive got to get used to it, jumping off the kerb my legs were doing all the wrong things as I was expecting 5 inches of travel to soak it all up !!!! :mrgreen:

swingbing
    Free Member

I think Cotic have swapped from 631 to ‘Fm’ for much of the new BFe.

I don’t think if this makes a difference you would notice it on tarmac.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I am fully confident you’ll love it, the fact it’s different to the FS is a good thing 8)

chiefgrooveguru

chiefgroveguru would you mind measuring yours if you get a minute?

148mm of stanchion showing on Float 140RL at full extension.

I_Ache
    Free Member

140mm forks and low bars is spot on for trail riding on my MK2 BFe. If you are looking to change the forks you should definitely consider some travel adjust that go from 100-140. I wind mine down to 95mm when attempting to DJ and ride around the BMX track.

140mm was adequate for riding around in the Peak when I went last. I was plenty comfortable and fast enough downhill, faster than the blokes on their 180mm FS bikes when coming down rocky tech sections. Granted I would have been faster on my FS but I wouldn’t have been so smug.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Zee on back order at present 18 bikes sorting delivery for August
    Rich

JEngledow
    Free Member

Here’s my new BFe:

I’ve only been out on it once and first impressions were really good, but a little let down by the forks, which along with the wheels will be changed in the not too distant future.

renton
    Free Member

Nice build there buddy.

how do you find it then ??

is your handlebar higher than the seat ??

do you find it wants to lift at the front quite easily??

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks, it’s still a work in progress, but I think it’s a lovely bike. I’ve got the seat dropped there, but it was up and down like a tarts knickers while riding so I think I’m gonna get an uppy-downy seat post! It’s been a while since I had a hardtail and compared to my DH bike it was weird (as expected), but it was certainly fun on anything downhill and picks up speed really well. It was a bit of a slog up-hill but I put that down to my lack of fitness, which will (hopefully) improve. I didn’t notice the front trying to lift, but then I ride with my weight slightly forward (I think).

renton
    Free Member

Cheers for the reply.

What is up with the forks and wheels then

What are they too as could be interested.

Cheers

Steve

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘New Bfe first impressions !!’ is closed to new replies.