• This topic has 70 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Clink.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • New Berlingo
  • simon_g

Finally a new version of the STW favourite, to be unveiled properly at the Geneva show:

http://www.citroen.co.uk/new-cars-and-vans/future-vehicles/new-citroen-berlingo

An XL version (4.75m long) could be great for family duties and easy bike-carrying.

nickc

Even more van looking than before.

chapeau…

parkesie
    Free Member

Looks rubbish, will be unreliable and ultimately cheap for me in a few years and the best car ever shhhh don’t tell everyone.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I don’t really like the current styling Citroen are morphing into their vehicles, certainly the “softroaders/urbanroaders”. All looks a bit melted plastic, random placement, bit of orange for my liking.

The DS7’s nice, because in the main it doesn’t follow the “cactus” wild bumper placement regime..

ampthill

I couldn’t really get a feel for the XL. It will be a longer wheel base? Currently the larger volume one is more over hang at the back.

Sad to see a touch screen but at least the legend continues

DickBarton

Nice…apart from the bubble wrap bits…however should be cheap second hand by the time my current one needs replaced, braw!

trail_rat
    Free Member

I like the bubble wrap bits. Don’t like the front bumper square lip.

Shame I’ll probably never own one as we just bought a 5k mile old 15plate pre facelift. And I would hope for 10 years plus from it and hybrid/battery tech to have finally become common place and to fit my needs.

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks like something from a 1980s sci-fi film, and not in a good way.

chestrockwell

Looks like the current one with the new corporate face welded on. Another van with windows then.

jonnyboi

Too many toys, I’m hoping the new Dacia MPV will be the spiritual successor to the original berlingo

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bare in mind that this will be the flagship with all the toys.

They will still do a basic one I’m sure. They always show the *xtr*

kayak23

Looks quite sick. I’ll never afford it though.

matt_outandabout

Oh dear on the corporate bumper/bonnet/lights/panels chucked on by the work experience kid…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Erm, it’s very styled isn’t it…

Wally

130hp 8 speed auto sounds ideal. But my 05 plate 2.0HDI needs to die first. Perfect replacement in XL format. Will give it a year for gremlins to be sorted though and pennies to be saved.

bikebouy
    Free Member

1.4m times more practical, urban crash bang whallop, cheap as a pint of prosecco and a battered saveloy and chips, don’t wash it for 3 years, £50 to get it through an mot..

The New Berlingo.

hugo
    Free Member

I don’t really like the current styling Citroen are morphing into their vehicles, certainly the “softroaders/urbanroaders”. All looks a bit melted plastic, random placement, bit of orange for my liking.

Agreed, I hired a car recently and was given a C4 “Cactus”.  What a completely stupid looking car.

This, and the photos of that Berlingo, look like a children’s trainer design.

Someone, take away their crayons!

mattbee

I like it, but I’m pretty sure that as with the current version it won’t be heavy enough to tow my caravan.
    I’d love someone to make a Berlingo/Caddy/Connect size vehicle with a higher than 1800kg kerb weight @ towing limit.
    I really like our Galaxy but it has spent most of the 2 months so far I’ve owned it with the back seats down, full of wet bikes, dog or work kit so something a bit more ‘utilitarian’ and less plush fabric would be nice.

trail_rat
    Free Member

1.4m times more practical, urban crash bang whallop, cheap as a pint of prosecco and a battered saveloy and chips, don’t wash it for 3 years, £50 to get it through an mot..

Except that it has a TINY boot and a high floor.

The dokker look great for biking but they dont bring them to uk – i wanted to like the duster – i even looked at the logan mcv as it seems to have a decent boot but the low roof meant bikes had to go on their side on top of each other……

for those that dont like the bubbles , the peugeot version will probably be more toned down , they seem to be the sensible adults choice with the citroen being a couple of grand cheaper and aimed at the youth/those trying to be youth – bit like a 50 year old wearing baggies and their baseball cap backwards

thing about the bubbles i think is – stops carpark dings…. my old car you didnt notice when people dinged your door as i had nice black bump strips (as does my new one owing to its rufty tufty persona peugeot have tried to give it) but the one we had in between came with colour coded bumpers and bump strips – what a pointless and entirely useless design idea for the vain. shows every door ding you ever got.

simon_g

I couldn’t really get a feel for the XL. It will be a longer wheel base?

Press release says:  (M) measuring 2 cm longer than the previous generation at 4.40 m, for a 2.78 m wheelbase. The lengthened XL version adds an extra 35 cm for a total length of 4.75 m and a 2.97 m wheelbase.

So 19cm longer wheelbase, and 16cm more overhang.

Assuming the press shots are the M version (with the rear wheels virtually at the corners) the XL should look nicely proportioned.

I also had a C4 Cactus as a hire car last year, I quite liked it. Citroen are at their best when doing the quirkier stuff.

mattbee > they do the Spacetourer in a 4.6m “XS” length, pretty sure it has a decent towing capacity.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah, IMHO 4×4 make terrible bike cars, they’re big on the outside, small on the inside and usually too high to mount a bike to the roof of easily.

What’s wrong with the humble estate car?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Space tourer only has 1719kg kerb weight.

Does sound like a big caravan he has though .

Does Seem strange I assumed they kept kerb weight down so that the van version stayed to car speeds but that isn’t the case as it’s 2010kg minimum

AlexSimon

It’ll be interesting to see if it still passes the ‘full bike in upright’ test.
    The tailgate looks similar to the current model, so hope so.
    The longer version will suit the trend for longer bikes 🙂

Awful script for that ad though! ugh!

AlexSimon

Looks like there’s a bigger version called the SpaceTourer (edit: oh – it’s been out a year already! – don’t think I’ve seen one)

As well as versions from Peugeot and Opal:

AlexSimon

The Citroen is by far the nicer looking imo

trail_rat
    Free Member

personally i like the opal grill design the best …. the other two look a bit smiley for my liking.

the colour can do one though …

the front end on that berlingo just looks like Ted Dansons forehead !

simon_g

The larger van platform is also shared with Toyota (as the ProAce, and they do a “Verso” passenger version of it).

Have been watching secondhand prices for a while, it’s good that there’s some decent competition for the Transporter in that non-commercial / leisure van segment.

XL Berlingo though means a lot of bike/stuff-carrying ability without the extra width and height.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im not sure the XL berlingo achieves much over the current one which is already about 20cm longer than the m49-m59 model on the interior …. to the point its a pain in the arse , my previous one you closed the boot against the front wheel and bike was held solid no need to strap it in. my current one swallows a whole large 29er with room to spare so you need to strap it down to stop it rolling aboot 🙁

AlexSimon

At least they’ve done a proper job of the XL (unlike the current van which as a tacked on rear).

olly2097
    Free Member

Love my berlingo. When it dies I’ll have one of these

rene59
    Free Member

That XL version is going to make a tidy little camper conversion. Should be available as a Vauxhall Combi as well.

ElShalimo

I think it looks okay. Time will tell but the new Expert / Dispatch / Proace is a very nice van indeed so expect it to follow suit.

@bikebouy
    – that’s the Duster, it’s not a MPV.

@trail_rat
    – Having driven a petrol Logan MCV around Germany and Austria for 5 days last March, I wouldn’t touch one no matter how cheap they are. They are cheap for a reason!!  The Lodgy looks like more MPV like but the Dokker is just a cheap Kangoo

trail_rat
    Free Member

elshamino – that was my opinion when it test drove it for about 15 minutes… that was enough. friends bought one and after about a year regret it ….

you say cheap kangoo like thats a bad thing – especially since they stopped making a kangoo combi with windows and only seem to do a crew version which is prety spartan leaving the combi to mercedes citan (the expensive kangoo)

my one gripe besides the length (whcih i can live with)about my 2015 berlingo is they have sanitised what made it great as a bike car – all the hard plastic trim i had in my previous 2 has been replaced with carpeted shit , the floor used to be moulded rubber with no insulation under – these days it is carpet over thick insulation – so i ended up spending 60 quid on a fitted rubber boot tray and comes under the rear seats up to the back of the front seats (a tarpaulin is not an acceptable solution)

the old one used to get swept out once or twice a month and it was easy …. carpet sucks.

mattbee

Caravan has a MTPLM of 1580kg. Means I need around 1800kg kerb weight ideally. Tried pulling it with a vehicle closer to a 100% match and it felt too much like the caravan was in control, even with stability control on the caravan & a nominal towing capacity much higher on the tow car.
    However when the Mrs’ Focus dies we will probably look at the Berlingo again.
    Had a Mk1 with the 1.9 non turbo engine years ago and whilst slower than continental drift it was such a practical car.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

LWB version looks good, as does 130hp 8 speed auto.  It seems to me like they’re getting the marketing right for these now – these are the true  ‘sport utility vehicle’ not some ridiculous tractor with 4WD and ground clearance.

Citroen has the best styling to my eyes though the silver highlights look better than the orange.  Unpainted corners and side panels to stop dings make a lot of sense.

Questions –

– how do the rear seats disappear? fold? completely removable?

– whats the ride quality like?  the agricultural leaf springs on our Caddy Maxi are the worst thing about it – just don’t cope with traffic calming at all well, however slowly you drive over it.

monkeyboyjc

I like the looks. Not sure if the over 70’s market will though – may pick one up in 10yes time in the cheap with a wheel chair ramp conversion.

trail_rat
    Free Member

not sure of that new model but the current ones did away with the torsion bar in favour of a solid trailing beam with each side on their own coil spring and shock absorber.

ride and handling far improved over the previous model.

cant see them reverting to anything worse.

simon_g

Citroen press gallery is here: http://int-media.citroen.com/en/psa_dam/4115/AC/view_gallery/135941/pag/1

So looks like middle row goes flat relative to boot floor. All removable. Folding passenger seat is nice for long things. Rear row (7 seater) looks like it’s higher.

MrGrim

Is there any word on when these are going to be available I’ve asked my local Citroen dealer about this in the past but they don’t seem particularly interested and don’t carry the current Multispace.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

So looks like middle row goes flat relative to boot floor.

but a bit shit for putting bikes on top of.  Caddy is really good – flat floor under the seats, roll forward off the front edge into the footwells.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘New Berlingo’ is closed to new replies.