Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New battery for Garmin Edge 810
  • breninbeener

My Garmin 810 has started to refuse to charge. I have left it on a wall socket charger to see if it revives, but can anyone recommend a battery pack supplier if i have to swap it out?

There are plenty listed but some variable reviews.

Thanks

Ian

madmechanist
    Free Member

It’s not as simple as strip and rebuild.. Its very sensitive to water ingress abd shorting.. My advise consider getting to know before you do it..

Also check your charge port for corrosion or circuitry issues it’s common on the 810s(i use an 800 with the same internals..)

Also consider buying a spares and repairs unit for an official battery out of a damaged unit with a OK battery

Alternatively an ashtetically damaged but functional unit would offer the same parts..

hopkinsgm

Is this a recent thing? Thought mine had died recently, seemed totally unresponsive to normal button presses, didn’t seem to be taking charge, didn’t seem to want to talk down the data cable when connected to a laptop. Extended press on the power button (around 10s) and it’s back to normal

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    madmechanist
    Free Member

10s on the power is hard reset.. Try checking for updates 800s suffered hard crashing on navigation a few years back but hard reset(10s on power button) then update on garmin express and that may help..

breninbeener

Ok thanks guys…i will try the hard reset before anthing invasive. I will report back….

damascus
    Free Member

You can return it to Garmin repair and get a reconditioned unit with 3 month warranty for around £90.

breninbeener

Im trying to avaoid the exchange route if i can. So a £12 battery still has some appeal

fibre
    Free Member

Check the USB port first. Try a different charger and cable and connect it to a laptop to see if it reads the memory (just to rule out a dodgey USB).

I changed the battery on my ancient Garmin 800 a few weeks back, straightforward for anyone that doesn’t mind basic faffing with electronics.

Find an eBay seller that strips genuine dead units for parts, you should be able to find a complete rear assembly which will make it easier to do the swap…. and if the USB port is buggered that is part of the rear assembly too.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I changed the battery in my 800 recently as it was suffering poor battery life (it is fairly old).
    Iv put new batteries in ipods a few times but the garmin is so much smaller and they seem to have crammed a lot more inside than i expected. I managed to get it back together and its working fine and battery life is good again but I would say if your not confident with electronics I would send it somewhere if you think the battery is at fault.
    I watched a vid on youtube that has the whole procedure as a tutorial

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Im trying to avaoid the exchange route if i can. So a £12 battery still has some appeal

I did my 305, it was an utter PITA and id done several iPods previously, get Garmin to do it. The assembly process probably made sense in a factory with jigs but trying to solder the battery into an otherwise assembled unit was frustrating.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

There was no soldering required for the 800 just some very small connectors for the battery ribbon onto the PCB

madmechanist
    Free Member

The 800 is assembled in two pieces basically(back panel and screen) but it’s fidly my 800 is not bad yet so leaving it be.. Had the problem with a dodgy data cable(not even a data cable) that was given with the unit(second hand).

The charge ports are prone to failing on them too had to try a few cables before it charged first time..

Garry_Lager

The charge point can get a bit corroded as said – mine got very iffy a year or two back and I thought I’d need to replace it, but it’s sorted itself out now – so defo have a look at the connection (cleaning it with a drop of WD40 is something I’ve seen recommended and done myself).
    Only device I can remember using that flat out won’t recognise some USB cables, but is OK with others.

scotroutes

Replacing the battery on my 705 was simple. No soldering.

nakedrider
    Free Member

Apols for reviving an old thread but…

My Garmin Edge 810 (approx 5yrs old) has reached the battery replacement stage too. It is not clear to me that the OP ever got a battery source recommended.

Basically, my unit has been showing strange symptoms for the last year. Things like showing 54% battery then suddenly dying on a ride or showing 100% when I finished charging it & tucked it up in bed only for it to immediately die & claim the battery is empty the following morning.

I saw slight condensation inside the screen once on a sunny day. Left it to cook with the silicon covers open & it’s seemed ok since but that’s been the only ‘fault’. I reckon the battery has reached that dodgy stage as the only weirdness seems to be power related.

I used to be a surface mount repair technician, back in the day when things got repaired, so I’m ok with soldering & tinkering with electronics. But at the same time, I can’t be arsed anymore if the price is right.

So, advice in the thread ranged from ‘get garmin to do it’ to ‘I did it and it was ok’.

Can anyone give any more recent advice?
    Can anyone recommend a battery source?

@breninbeener
    How did it work out for you?

jamiea
    Free Member

I’ve got an ageing 810 too, battery still not too bad but I’m willing to give a replacement a go when the time comes.

One thing worth noting is the aftermarket batteries aren’t as high capacity as the originals.

If you’re an experienced SMT repairer, it should be a doddle, shirley?

whitestone
    Free Member

My wife updated the battery on her 800, easy job no soldering required. Hardest bit was heading down to Halfords at height of the lockdown for click and collect for the mini-torx driver you need to get into the unit.

Keando

Had a similar type of issue with my Garmin 800 as the usb contacts were corroded. Wouldn’t charge or connect to the pc. Went down the route of purchasing a back panel complete with USB port and battery off ebay. Replaced the back panel and has been working perfectly since.

nakedrider
    Free Member

@jamiea It may well be a doddle. Yet to crack it open.

I was reluctant to do so until I got a battery. Ideally a decent one with the same capacity (or better) as the original. Thing is, nobody is recommending a good source!

I’ve looked at many on various sites but I’m not confident that they’re any good.

I might whip the back off just to check for corrosion or the bleedin obvious.

At the end of the day, if it dies completely, then ANY battery will be better.

Thanks for the 2 other posts too. Sounds like it might not be too scary.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New battery for Garmin Edge 810’ is closed to new replies.