• This topic has 20 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by T1000.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New bangernomics purchase, Honda Accord
  • kilo

I need a new cheap car following the demise of my £400 golf. Looking at this Old Honda accord has a full MOT, reliable cars, mileage seems genuine but the 2016 mot had an advisory for all suspension corroded, would this make you walk away or is it likely to be rust on the components rather than terminal rot?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you do get it, just be careful…..

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Really, really, ludicrously expensive for an 18 year old car. Sellers seem to think it much be worth a premium on account of the mileage, when the reverse is true at this extent. The thing has spent its life drying out its rubbers and gathering condensation. Its worth beans, that one.

Go and find one half the age, with twice the mileage!

plumslikerocks
    Free Member
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Would agree with the above advice. I’ve got an old Vtec that wasn’t used much, it drives like shit. TBH, I paid **** all for it so I couldn’t care less. Can seriously recommend though. Don’t forget to buy one of these if you get it..

Inbred456
    Free Member

I would never buy an ancient car with low mileage. As others have said find one half it’s age and don’t worry about mileage.

kilo

Cheers all will look at others with a bit more use

nealglover
    Free Member

Good advice. If that’s your budget you can get something a LOT better than that with “the right” mileage.
    Or something the same with “the right” mileage for a LOT less money

kormoran
    Free Member

Initial reaction is massively overpriced for a car that old

Second impression on reading the MOT info is its being doing 1500 miles a year for the last umpteen number of years. This is v bad for its long term prospects

Mot failures strike me as poor maintenance issues

edit I see I am not the only one^^^

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

But you’re barking up the correct tree….an Accord of that or next shape on would be my choice of cheap car. I ran an ’05 tourer cdti with a frankly appalling history well past 100k and nothing remotely went wrong!

kormoran
    Free Member

One owner from new, matching tyres and apologising for a broken light switch. Seems a good owner to buy from…?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711131222150?advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=1000&postcode=fk159hx&sort=price-desc&page=1&make=HONDA&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New

Quite a trek for the OP maybe. And a ferry ride too!

matt_outandabout

Ok, fair point, I didn’t look at location… 😳

kormoran
    Free Member

Nor did I but I googled the sticker in the rear window! Strange name.

Isn’t there an insurance issue with NI vehicles? Or maybe that is a thing of the past/old wives tale

kormoran
    Free Member

Judging by the others on the page the price is legit 😯

Who’d have thought it?!

butcher

Those old Hondas are reliable cars, but they were also quite old tech even when they were new. I would not pay 1.5k for that. You should be able to find an immaculate one for half that.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ha! I actually remember that accident, the Teg owner was going to Japfest, JAE or something and totally missed the bend.

VTEC just kicked in yo!

And something to watch out for especially with older VTECs is if it’s not been driven “hard” then the oil ports that activate the camshaft switch can get choked up and stop letting enough pressure through. K series had transducer actuated VTEC switches whilst older D, F and H series as found in any model series built before ~2001 had the direct actuators.

sbob
    Free Member

D, F and H series as found in any model series built before ~2001

What about B? 😕

jugheaddave
    Free Member

Is the insurance not a lot more on the older/bigger cars?

The reason I ask, I will be looking for a banger early next year.

T1000
    Free Member

OP If you’ve got low self esteem I’ve the perfect car for you…

52 plate Suzuki ignis 1.2l, 35k miles mot end dec, silver, body work lightly redesigned using a petrol pump…. by the elderly driver. Not pretty but £250

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New bangernomics purchase, Honda Accord’ is closed to new replies.