Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New android phone … storage question
  • Aus
    Free Member

Hi, so son has just changed from one Motorola to a new one. The only sig difference (I think!) is his old one is 3yrs old, the new one is new(!), old phone had an SD card slot where he stored lots of music etc.

So transferred old phone to new phone, v seamless. The new phone has 128gb storage. He’s getting a few odd glitches on e.g. iPlayer where it won’t download but overall very whizzy. He checked his storage on day 1 and apps where using 12gb, everything has been updated. Day 2, no new apps added and no updates we can see, apps are using 50gb. Have scrolled thru and Spotify is biggest at 3gb, then everything else at <1gb, most v small.

Any clues as to what’s going on? He was hopeful to put a load of his own music on there (around 70gb) but obvs that’s looking slim as he’s taken no pics or vids yet!

Cheers

DickBarton

Switch it off, leave for 30 seconds and restart it…there might be some overhanging stuff from various updates that will be removed when phone is restarted.

How much browsing and streaming is he doing? That is probably going to consume space as there will be plenty of stuff cached…

sharkbait
    Free Member

Android can now download updates but not I stall them until after 2am after which the spare files are removed.

On top of that there may be downloaded music (Spotify playlists), etc.

My Pixel 6 is currently using 55 out of 128Gb.

ta11pau1

He checked his storage on day 1 and apps where using 12gb, everything has been updated. Day 2, no new apps added and no updates we can see, apps are using 50gb.

User data, cache, etc etc.

50gb of apps on a brand new phone?! Yikes. This is the issue when just transferring everything from an old phone, he needs to have a clear out of crap that’s not used.

I’ve had my pixel 6 for nearly a year and I’m at 72gb of 128gb.

savoyad
    Cougar

Why’s he need 70GB of his own music and Spotify? Even lossless and uncompressed that’s, what, 100+ albums?

But yeah, +1 as above. “This is the issue when just transferring everything from an old phone, he needs to have a clear out of crap that’s not used.”

Aus
    Free Member

OK, thanks. Music’s a big deal and a lot of his stuff on his SD card is pretty rare/unusual, so not always Spotify-able!

Looked at his browsing cache and it’s tiny at the mo. Spotify current 3.12gb, and tiny cache. He doesn’t really have many more apps than me, and we’ve similar phones – mine’s showing 11gb apps.

Will try the diskusage app tonight. And slo check thru apps transferred across … but old phone showed 12gb app storage before transfer.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Depending on the phone make there could also be some bloatware in there (one of the reasons why I went with a Pixel this time)

Aus
    Free Member

I’ll try and check bloat stuff too … albeit always though Motorola kept that side pretty light.

And, should’ve asked first time around, Mobile Network Standby eats lots of the battery up … never seen that before and not evident on our previous Moto phones?

zippykona

I had the mobile network thing recently.
    Force stopped it in app manager ,turned phone off and on , all is well again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.