Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • New Alien/ Prometheus film
  • mikey74
    Free Member

just pointing out that Prometheus doesn’t deserve credit for having lofty ideas which it failed to properly explore when there was nothing original about those ideas.

I’m not sure if originality has anything to do with it: I’m not saying the creators of the Alien Universe invented aliens, or even aliens as progenitors of mankind. What I am saying is their take on it is quite interesting and exciting and deserves to be explored more, IMO.

I don’t believe there was any deliberate forward planning in Alien for Prometheus.

Probably not, but it spawned a host of sequels, spin-offs, comics that expanded the confines of the original story.

jimjam
    Free Member

mikey74

I’m not saying the creators of the Alien Universe invented aliens, or even aliens as progenitors of mankind. What I am saying is their take on it is quite interesting and exciting and deserves to be explored more, IMO.

I was just replying to your comment that….

Despite its flawed execution, Prometheus explored some lofty concepts that were nothing short of spectacular.

…so I assumed you’re saying it deserves credit for exploring lofty concepts that were spectacular, or indeed lofty concepts in a spectacular way. My main problem with that is that nothing about Prometheus was original. Not the idea of ancient astronauts, not the idea of humans going to alien worlds in search of their makers…..nothing.

The entire plot of Prometheus has already been done many many times. Every bit of it. That in and of itself doesn’t make it a bad film – 99% of film plots are derivative, I’m just saying it doesn’t deserve any credit for exploring concepts it didn’t invent, or explore.

samunkim
    Free Member

I miss “Newt” Waaahhh

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikey74
    Free Member

…so I assumed you’re saying it deserves credit for exploring lofty concepts that were spectacular, or indeed lofty concepts in a spectacular way. My main problem with that is that nothing about Prometheus was original. Not the idea of ancient astronauts, not the idea of humans going to alien worlds in search of their makers…..nothing.

I’d be interested to see your list of the other films that have covered the same territory as Prometheus and the “engineers”.

Cougar

I miss “Newt” Waaahhh

I always held that the biggest mistake they made with Alien Cubed was killing off Newt. a) it could’ve been a great handover to a new, younger female lead and b) it completely shat on the entire point of Aliens from a great height.

jimjam
    Free Member

mikey74

I’d be interested to see your list of the other films that have covered the same territory as Prometheus and the “engineers”.

Well I said back there that it hadn’t been covered so specifically by mainstream sci-fi cinema but it has been done before in novels and comics.

Saying that, here’s wikipedia’s list of ancient astronauts in film and tv. And here’s novels and comics. Get back to me when you’ve watched them all.

Those aren’t exhaustive lists either, as far back as 1995 I remember reading a Judge Dredd story set on Mars that basically had the entire plot of Prometheus from start to finish. Discussing it with fellow geeks around that time everyone could cite similar plot lines in other sci-fi.

mikey74
    Free Member

…but not in films?

jimjam
    Free Member

mikey74

…but not in films?

Remember Stargate?

wordnumb
    Free Member

Precursors?
    Xeno

funkmasterp

I always held that the biggest mistake they made with Alien Cubed was killing off Newt. a) it could’ve been a great handover to a new, younger female lead and b) it completely shat on the entire point of Aliens from a great height.

Losing Newt was a crap idea for the reasons you state. The original idea for Alien 3 actually seemed really good. As usual studio interference put a stop to that. Although Prometheus was a let down I was actually looking forward to a direct sequel.

Neil Blomkamps take on the Alien franchise could have been good. Saying that his last film, the ultra violent short circuit remake, was a bit meh.

mikey74
    Free Member

Remember Stargate?

Of course. Good film. I’m not sure it’s quite the same thing: Aliens having an influence on the planet is little different to Aliens creating humans. However, I do get your point: I just enjoy the Aliens/Prometheus take on it. I’m not saying they invented the idea, it was just taken somewhere that really interests me.

superstu
    Free Member

I like Prometheus. Some problems for sure but I enjoyed it and enjoy rewatching it.

I even think Alien3 was interesting.

Lifer
    Free Member

As well as Newt I think the Hicks/Prisoners conflict would have been interesting with the suspicion over who was killing everyone

jimjam
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

As well as Newt I think the Hicks/Prisoners conflict would have been interesting with the suspicion over who was killing everyone

At one point Hicks was supposed to be the main character. I can’t remember the specifics but there was a big problem with Michael Beihn…..either he asked for far too much money or he had a scheduling issue, or he was being deliberately stubborn out of loyalty to Cameron, maybe a combination of things.

Apparently he still got paid as much for his likeness being used in Alien 3 as his performance in Aliens.

PrinceJohn

But apart from the Xenomorphs, in that Covenant clip they’re talking about some giant bugs that have been found – I’m sure in Aliens everyone is sceptical because no other life has been found yet?

They have definitely come across Alien life before Aliens… whether they’re similar to the aliens we know & love we don’t know…

Private Hudson: Sir?
    Lieutenant Gorman: What is it, Hicks?
    Private Hudson: Hudson, sir. He’s Hicks.
    [signals to Hicks]
    Lieutenant Gorman: What’s the question?
    Private Hudson: Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bug hunt?
    Lieutenant Gorman: All we know is that there’s still no contact with the colony and that a xenomorph may be involved.
    Private Frost: Excuse me, sir, a-a what?
    Lieutenant Gorman: A xenomorph.
    Corporal Hicks: It’s a bug hunt.

Cougar

I always assumed “bug hunt” was just Marine slang for flushing out enemies; ie, a direct contrast to a “stand-up fight.”

jimjam
    Free Member

There was also that line where someone referenced the fact that Ripley had apparently seen and Alien and the response was “Whoopee for her” or maybe it was “whoopee ****ing doo”.

Cougar

To be fair, if someone told you they’d seen an alien, would you go “wow, gosh, really?”

It’s entirely possible of course that they have encountered aliens before, just not our Aliens.

Drac

A further trailer possibly spoiler heavy.

[video]https://youtu.be/eK03cXaGVBE[/video]

nickhit3
    Free Member

Like the look of the newest trailer. I enjoyed Prometheus, never understood the hate and am a massive Alien fan so to me, a lot of the hand wringing above is pretty funny. You’ll all still go to see it, stop kidding yourselves. Stop getting those panties in a bunch over a sci-fi film and just sit back and enjoy the big angry things eating the small scared things.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’d much rather see Ridley Scott step away from the series and do more great films like The Martian.

Was with you till this. Martian had the tension of a blancmange and the soundtrack made me want to kill kittens.

Scott has barely made a decent movie since Gladiator

BoardinBob

*suspension of disbelief moment*

In Prometheus they set off to LV-223 on the basis of some drawings in a cave on Skye

Peter Weyland is a secret passenger on the trip

The trip goes wrong, the ship is destroyed, I’m assuming none of this gets relayed back to earth so everyone is missing presumed dead

Shaw has survived however and takes off in the engineers space ship

Now…

There are 100 billion stars in the universe, and god knows how many planets orbiting them

Given that earth must assume the prometheus mission went wrong, they probably wouldnt send the next ship to the same location

So they send them to a different location, however by some miracle they happen to run into Shaw as they’ve both arrived at the same planet

😆

Drac

I’m assuming none of this gets relayed back to earth

There you go.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Which can only point to an ulterior motive?..

Drac

A bit like the original Alien and Aliens.

retro83
    Free Member

nickhit3 – Member
    Like the look of the newest trailer. I enjoyed Prometheus, never understood the hate

Stupid plot, borderline retarded characters. Supposedly expert biologist removes helmet and touches alien snake, cartographer dude gets lost, captain takes the ship into the dangerous atmosphere without scanning it first, running in the shadow of rolling object (after c-section 😆 ) rather than simply stepping sideways etc.

That said I am a huge fan of the series, and will probably still watch this.

BoardinBob

Yeah they didn’t show anything being messaged back in Prometheus but it’s not outwith the realms of possibility that David was sending reports back.

However given it was the WU boss on the Prometheus, they might have sent a rescue mission, but that’s not what Covenant looks like.

Also, if you were going to choose couples to populate a planet, would this be on the list 😆

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I thought Kingdom of Heaven was pretty good.

BoardinBob

A line in the trailer mentions a “large scale” colonisation mission, yet there’s only maybe a dozen or so folk, however there’s a brief scene in the trailer with the hooded character walking towards what looks like buildings and they’re surrounded by what looks like thousands of deformed bodies. Could be there’s a whole bunch of folk in stasis on the ship that the facehuggers can have a field day with resulting in lots of xenomorphs!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The Martian was one, apart from the fact it’s good to hear a fella from South Shields done good every so often a resonable suggestion is he can direct but needs a tight script/screen play to work with then he can get on with the other stuff

Drac

However given it was the WU boss on the Prometheus, they might have sent a rescue mission, but that’s not what Covenant looks like.

He was dying anyway and if the ship or Davied relay back it’s fair to say they probably mentioned it.

A line in the trailer mentions a “large scale” colonisation mission, yet there’s only maybe a dozen or so folk,

Maybe they’re the first. Is that not mentioned in the previous trailer?

Could be there’s a whole bunch of folk in stasis on the ship that the facehuggers can have a field day with resulting in lots of xenomorphs!

Or that.

Cougar

Given that earth must assume the prometheus mission went wrong, they probably wouldnt send the next ship to the same location

So they send them to a different location, however by some miracle they happen to run into Shaw as they’ve both arrived at the same planet

Pretty sure I’ve read somewhere that it is LV-223 they go to in Covenant.

However given it was the WU boss on the Prometheus

Point of pedantry, it wasn’t WU in Prometheus, it was Weyland Corporation.

jimjam
    Free Member

It looks like it’ll make about as well thought out and coherent as Prometheus

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0[/video]

retro83
    Free Member

BTW for anyone who wants to see what we should have had in Prometheus, the original script (before that phallus from Lost dicked about with it) is online if you search for “alien engineers script”

slimjim78
    Free Member

The Martian was one

I hugely disagree, the soundtrack alone was nearly enough for me to switch off.
    It was a massive missed opportunity to portray sci-fi isolation in a relatively believable context, instead it felt like a jolly-up. There was almost no concept of the time scales involved. Plus having since found out that storms on Mars are fractionally as violent as portrayed kind of kills the reality for me.

I still hope Scott has some quality to offer, Bladerunner 2 will be defining for me.

Drac

Plus having since found out that storms on Mars are fractionally as violent as portrayed kind of kills the reality for me.

It wasn’t a documentary. It also wasn’t great.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I hugely disagree, the soundtrack alone was nearly enough for me to switch off.
    It was a massive missed opportunity to portray sci-fi isolation….

I think consensus has you in the minority on that one. Most people I’ve heard on it or spoken to see to have the complete opposite view
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659388/?ref_=nv_sr_1

jimjam
    Free Member

slimjim78

I still hope Scott has some quality to offer, Bladerunner 2 will be defining for me.

Define what? He’s not directing it and his filmography speaks for itself, about three good films out of twenty four.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

about three good films out of twenty.

Alien
    Blade Runner
    Thelma and Louise
    Gladiator
    Black Hawk Down
    American Gangster – enjoyed I remember
    The Martian

jimjam
    Free Member

mikewsmith

Alien
    Blade Runner
    Thelma and Louise
    Gladiator
    Black Hawk Down
    American Gangster – enjoyed I remember
    The Martian

Even if I agreed for the sake of argument it’s still not a great ratio. But I don’t agree. Black Hawk down is just complete shit. If someone told me Michael Bay made it I would believe it 100%. Just a glorification of the American military from start to finish.

I saw American Gangster and can’t remember anything about it, not a good sign. And I got about half way through the Martian.

Thelma and Louise?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘New Alien/ Prometheus film’ is closed to new replies.