Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)
  • New Akrigg vid
  • medoramas
    Free Member

Something is not right. On the cover frame to that video (scroll up to the first post) I can clearly see he’s got Shimano XT wheelset. I’ve got the same. And my wheels don’t ride even close like his!

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I’ve got the same. And my wheels don’t ride even close like his!

Nonsense man. Round these parts Mr Akrigg is plainly only a fair to middling rider. Thought about taking up knitting instead?

Blackflag
    Free Member

All this looks completely doable

Err, except by you. If I am wrong however, please feel free to post your own rad video for comparison.

medoramas
    Free Member

Thought about taking up knitting instead?

I’m seriously considering this…

martinhutch

Thought about taking up knitting instead?

You can’t get away from all those show-offs making you feel bad about your skillz. 🙂

ton

fantastic video

fantastic that he is riding what folk on here presume to be a shit bike

fantastic rider

Yorkshire lad, nuff said

nedrapier

Be honest. Have you ever seen anyone riding like that in real life. Just looks daft and inefficient. Lots of bobbing up and down in short burst that no one would maintain for long. Just looks like over exaggerating a a normal ride.

I’m guessing troll, but I’m not busy.

Nope, I’ve never seen anyone ride that well in real life.  I bet it’s the most efficient way of riding those sections.  If you’re going to be making explosive efforts, you need to be in a high gear. Can’t sit and spin and do what he’s doing.

no one would maintain for long

course not!  it’s a blimmin’ video! for entertainment! There’s a guy stood filming, he can’t go far! Want to watch a film of someone on a 20 mile xc ride?  Not me.  Probably loads on youtube, though.  Or watch live road racing.

And he can maintain it longer than most (missus) he’s won road hill climb events.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Doesn’t he have a metal rod running the length of his femur

I also have a metal rod running the length of my femur. It doesn’t allow me to ride like this tho. Maybe I should complain to the NHS?

cokie

Another epic video.
    Love his riding. The natural lines he finds and then tackles is amazing. He’s such a smooth rider. Can’t get my head around the way he picks some of those lines through the uphill boulder footpath.
    I put him on another level to Danny Mac. He does all this on some BSO mongoose frame too.

Reasonable build that most of us would use year round as our hardtail, no special stuff there. That frame too, straight from early 2000s; high stand over, QR, front mech mount, long HT, steep HT & high BB. Most of us probably couldn’t manual that.

chestrockwell

If you think it’s all doable I’m happy to take you to the hill he rides up for you to have a go. It’s hairy enough going down it!

geex
    Free Member

long HT, steep HT & high BB. Most of us probably couldn’t manual that.

eh?

If you can manual decently, as long as you can get the saddle low enough the rest of the geometry on that frame won’t really give you any trouble. Higher bars (from the long headtube) and high BBs are EASIER to initiate manuals on than low bars and low BBs.

kerley
    Free Member

Reasonable build that most of us would use year round as our hardtail, no special stuff there.

A half decent alu hardtail frame is much of a muchness.  He didn’t skimp on the fork though did he which is arguably the key component that makes a difference.

The interesting thing is the geometry, how can he possibly ride a bike that isn’t low and slack…

dannyh
    Free Member

The salient points for me:

Chris Akrigg is an amazing rider. The rocky valley climb is something that wouldn’t even register with me as worth having a go at.

Budget bike brands can make bikes that look decent, with decent standover, that don’t looks like BSOs. Mongoose cannot, it seems.

Go on then bigwatts. It’s a small country and that riding was pretty close to the middle of the UK – so you should be able to get there at some point – hopefully even this year. Locate the bits he rode, pop a Go Pro up on a tripod and post your vid up here. If you can do all that stuff, I will buy you a pint.

Jakester
    Free Member

His style is riding the sort of stuff most people do, but with far more grace and style (and with a bit of trials thrown in).

The vid reminded me of exactly the sort of ride I used to do with a few mates (minus the skills, of course) – pedal somewhere, see a feature, stop, have some cake, try and ride up/down/on/off said feature, optionally laugh as someone fell off, and then repeat further along.

The advent of trail centres and full suss have sort of meant a move away from that sort of ‘dicking about’ ride, at least in my case.

bigjim

Why ?

Because it shows the biking experience is the rider and the trail, not the brand/price of the bike, which is the opposite of the stw paradigm and as this thread shows it clearly riles people that a non stw-approved bike is being ridden in such a video, which amuses me greatly.

whitestone
    Free Member

@bigjim +1

Just for the record – there’s not a chance in hell I’d do any of those sequences.

simondbarnes

Cracking vid

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Always enjoy his videos and kinda like the fact that he rides an unfashionable brand/geometry/ whatever.

funkmasterp

My favourite rider, such a talented bloke and makes it all look effortless. I couldn’t care less about the bike he’s riding. Doesn’t seem to have any negative effect on his riding:

lots_of_hope

Hope he doesn’t get the mardy arse cow telling him not to ride on harden moor like I get a lot of the time… It’s being ruined don’t you know.

jamj1974

I love every video Akrigg does because you can see from simple stuff like little the leaf kick outs he does rolling down a simple bit of trail near the beginning that the guy just loves riding.

Definitely!

tails
    Free Member

That bikesnot that outta date, plus it must be stronger than his old pace

benp1

Enjoyed that video, makes it look easy

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hope he doesn’t get the mardy arse cow telling him not to ride on harden moor like I get a lot of the time… It’s being ruined don’t you know.

I can sort of understand people getting upset on footpaths in St Ives park, but Harden Moor is an open access old disused quarry ffs. I’ve only been challenged once and it was an amicable  “I don’t like to be thought of as a NIMBY whiner, but………”

She said she’d phoned the council and the council person had sympathised with her complaint, I said I personally knew the council woodland and parks manager and he didn’t have an issue with MTBers using public access land (ie Harden Moor) as long as the usual common sense rules are applied around litter, courtesy, leave it as you find it etc. End of IMO

lots_of_hope

I do wonder what it is that’s so precious up there when there’s a big quarry next door that will no doubt sooner or later be a housing estate or chicken factory, and the MX riders on a fairly regular basis doing what they do around the place. Good to know the council aren’t really bothered, thanks for the info.

Never seen an Akrigg film crew up there though.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Good to know the council aren’t really bothered, thanks for the info.

Ah, but It’s still all a bit spurious, depends who you speak to in the council, there are no specific agreements that I’m aware of for Harden Moor (unlike Ilkley Moor where an MTB protocol has been historically drawn up and agreed, so has some substance). One person in the council saying they are ok about it (despite their position) doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t be challenged by a Ranger on a motorbike, altho the worst they’ll probably do is tell you to leave, especially if you do the courtesy stuff.

regenesis
    Free Member

2 pages and no one has asked “what tyres for?”….

kiksy
    Free Member

Akrigg videos are the best riding videos imo. Everything about them is so good, the music, the location, audio and obviously the riding.

There’s so many little bits you miss, so they stand up to repeat viewings. Plus lots of the locations and features aren’t massive crazy things, the kind of places many of us would just ride by without even seeing that anything was possible on them, but Chris does crazy things on seemingly simple features.That’s the genius.

Always instantly want to go out and ride after watching one.

mahalo

he must have signed a long contract with Mongoose at some point? id imagine bigger brands will be queuing up to have their bikes featured in vids like this? hope he doesnt go Santer Cruise tho. would be an awesome partnership with Orange!

nedrapier

Saunter Cruise, shurely?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I always watch Akriggs videos in awe, the guy is brilliant, couldn’t really give a flying **** what brand of bike he’s on.

DezB
    Free Member

Enjoyed that!

I’d like to see a vid of the thread’s riding god, pulling that move at 3:01 and up the subsequent climb, or even slightly similar.. somehow, I bet we won’t.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Where are all the people? Must have been difficult to make it look like no one is there, these places must usually be busy with people especially when its as nice and sunny as it is in the video?

I liked the video and really appreciate the technical skills involved. the reason it looks easy is because CA is very very talented.

whitestone
    Free Member

Filmed mid-week maybe? Baildon Bank – the dog walkers tend to stick up by the road rather than drop into the woods, maybe a few boulderers there of an evening. The stuff on the top of Ilkley Moor is generally quiet, I’ve been over there on a weekend and it’s not unusual to be alone for fifteen to twenty minutes. Rocky Valley might be trickier as it’s close to town. I’ve never seen anyone on the steep climb on the edge of Skipton despite it being less than 200m from a housing estate.

Wouldn’t be too hard to get shots with only CA in them.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Where are all the people? Must have been difficult to make it look like no one is there, these places must usually be busy with people especially when its as nice and sunny as it is in the video?

Would’ve been done on weekday mornings, most moorland areas near towns will have no one on them at this time of day tbh.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve seen the pair of them in Walkers bakery a couple of times over the years, mid filming I presumed, always during day, mid week and strawberry tarts. you’re only going to encounter the occasional dog walker in those locations mid week outside school hols.

bob_summers

Maybe a stupid question, but anyone know how that’s filmed?  Is it a drone following him up that rocky climb at 0:50?

colournoise

Maybe a stupid question, but anyone know how that’s filmed?  Is it a drone following him up that rocky climb at 0:50?

From the way the camera moves I think they just use a handheld gimbal mounted camera?

AlexSimon

Another Akrigg classic!

Skipton track at the top of Short Bank Road is the very first place I rode a MTB – back in 1987.
    I was instantly hooked and bought my own 3 months later and went back there for the rooty, rocky goodness.

I tried to get up that climb time and again. There was one line that I cleared, but can’t honestly remember if I cleared the one in this vid. Definitely failed millions of times though.

Many many evenings spent there and the woods/quarry above Embsay. I remember Chris turning up one night and hopping all the big rocks surrounding the quarry. I also worked with him for a litte while in Aire Valley Cycles.

Ahhh – happy memories. Don’t think I’d trade it for the Peak District where I live now though.

martinhutch

It’s a great little descent – and a very frustrating climb. I’ve never cleaned it, and that’s talking about the ‘easy’ way on the right, certainly not on the steep bit he’s on.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘New Akrigg vid’ is closed to new replies.