Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New 4 piston XTs?….. Yes please, want!
  • Premier Icon deviant
    Free Member

Over on. Pinkbike, damn they look good, retro compatible with existing levers too so only need to buy the caliper….i can’t wait, argh!

Premier Icon muggomagic

The old 4 pots are probably still the best brakes I’ve used, though it may be a case of the rose tinted specs and that they were just much much better than the hope xc they replaced at the time.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hang on I thought the current xt’s were the dogs danglies, it’s all confusing in the shimano world 😉

Premier Icon legend
    Free Member

bin dun

Premier Icon oldnpastit

Do XT brakes still leak from the caliper, or has that been fixed now?

Premier Icon jimdubleyou

Mine don’t.

Premier Icon muggomagic

I#d certainly be interested in some of these. I’ve got Shimano Deores on my bike at the moment and they’re ok, nothing special.
    Saying that though, I got a set of SRAM DB5s off of pinkbike buysell for the mrs bike and they are something else. I’m concerned that they might be too powerful for her so being a loving husband I’ll put them on my bike and let her have the brakes off mine.

Premier Icon steve_b77
    Free Member

Mine are fine too

Premier Icon honourablegeorge
    Free Member

oldnpastit – Member

Yes, the new models have twice as many pistons, so double the leaks

Premier Icon kimbers

What’s the difference over Zee’s?

Much lighter ?

Premier Icon markshires
    Free Member

Much lighter ?

I think that’s what it said in the pinkbike article but doesn’t say by how much though.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

Looking at the pics it looks like it’s exactly the the same Zee/Saint calliper, nothing new.

XT will just get the alloy backed pads, reach adjusters, drilled brake levers, etc which overall shave a few grammes.

Premier Icon legend
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    XT will just get the alloy backed pads, reach adjusters etc.

more Enduro compatible too obvs

Premier Icon Davesport

Was the source of the leaks not identified as the O ring between the caliper halves? No of pistons not relevant.

Premier Icon stevied

4 pot on the front, 2 pot on the back?

Premier Icon russyh

Not buying any Shimano brakes until they revert back to being super reliable again. I had loads of issues with my M8000’s wanderng bite points and the leaky piston issue.

As an absolute shimano fanboi and SRAM hater. I am currently loving my Guide RSC’s….. 😕

Premier Icon faustus
    Free Member

Still have my M755s, quality brake!

Premier Icon km79
    Free Member

stevied – Member 

4 pot on the front, 2 pot on the back?

i think that’s what I’ll be doing

Premier Icon mindmap3
    Free Member

Not buying any Shimano brakes until they revert back to being super reliable again. I had loads of issues with my M8000’s wanderng bite points and the leaky piston issue.

As an absolute shimano fanboi and SRAM hater. I am currently loving my Guide RSC’s…..

Same here. My 785’s, Zee’s and XTR’s were all pain in the arse for various reasons. The Deore’s were pretty damn good though.

Premier Icon somouk
    Free Member

As an absolute shimano fanboi and SRAM hater. I am currently loving my Guide RSC’

I’m the same, love the RSCs and not sure bitey shimano with 4 pot power will be a good thing.

Premier Icon Goldigger
    Free Member

Nothing new to see here..
    Just but a saint caliper for less?

Premier Icon P-Jay

I “believe” they’re fixed now.

My M785s died after 18 months, the seals in the lever went, warranty replaced with a set of M8000s – my mates have got early ones with the same wandering bite point that my M785s had when I first had them – mine are nothing short of perfect though, had them on 6 months now, bite point is consistent, power is great, as good my my old Deores but with more power and look better.

I don’t know if I was lucky, but enough people with M8000s have great brakes too I suspect Shimano revised them on the quiet, but I can’t see anyway of telling what’s early and what’s late so there still may be some early ones floating around online and in the dusty corners of LBS.

I do fancy some 4 pots, I don’t need the power, I just think they’re cool.

Premier Icon deviant
    Free Member

My M8000 XTs have been great, I’ll be first in line for these too.

Premier Icon P-Jay

So… the new XT 4 pot then… is it a rebranded Saint, a rebranded Zee or are they all the same bar the sticker? (And gold hose).

Premier Icon braddersrm
    Free Member

I asked Shimano on Twitter earlier today what the difference is between this and zee/saint. Didn’t really get anywhere with it. Had one guy who offered his ten pence with ”zee/saint is DH specific”. Think most people know this. Shimano came back said ”function is comparable, but it has some different XT technologies.” I get the feeling this means not a lot of difference then. The pads are zee/saint compatible however. Looking at the caliper I physically can’t see any difference. Only think I thought it might be is smaller pots than zee/saint but that seems the same too in the image.

Premier Icon P-Jay

I seem to recall some talk of ceramic pistons when discussing the differences between Deore / SLX / XT calipers, but nothing concrete.

So despite the fanfare it seems Shimano are offering what riders have been using for years XT levers with Saint or Zee calipers for a Alps/Enduro/Fat lad specific brake.

Still cool though and I prefer ‘matching’ levers and calipers.

Premier Icon Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The reservoirs on the XT brakes are smaller aren’t they and the leverage ratio is different? So less weight and less power, possibly meaning more modulation at the expense of heat resistance.

These are only 20 percent more powerful than XT’s where as Saints are something ridiculous like 40 percent more.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New 4 piston XTs?….. Yes please, want!’ is closed to new replies.