Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • New 2.5 WT DD Maxxis Tyres – Initial thoughts
  • benpinnick

I know some of you have been hankering after these, so I thought I would share my initial views on them… No riding yet but I will update once I have some miles on them.

So, I have some 2.5 DHF Maxx Grips and some 2.5 Shorty Maxx Grips here. Weights:

DHF: 1260, Shorty: 1220

OK so the elephant in the room is the weight, but Ive been running aggressors for a while now, and while their suitability for the conditions is limited (its a narrow range) the DD casing has proven to be a winner. I’m firmly a believer in tough tyres now (Hence why there are no Plus Birds). Fit is good as you would expect from Maxxis, and the tyres go up easily on my test rims (35mm internal).

These tyres are monsters. You know from the moment you fit them they are tough. They fit easier than the DH tyres of similar size, being folders, but there’s the same impressive stiffness about them, not Schwalbe Super Grav hard, but just a nice solid feel that gives me confidence in these tyres. They are a little more solid than the Aggressors for sure.

Size wise its a full 2.5 no messing, almost exactly. They come up just over 28″ too, so a little taller than the regular maxxis, but not so much that you’d be struggling to get them into a 27.5 fork, but its going to get tight on some forks with a guard in there too I guess.

The lugs are definitely bigger and more aggressive than the regular versions, the DHF particularly looking beasty, while the Shorty has a bigger spread between the lugs, which I expect is no bad thing.

I like the shape too, they are round but the side lugs have been rejigged to bring them back squarer, kind of like how a 2.3 looks on the same rim but without the flat top. Compound on the Maxx Grip feels like it could climb a wall, but I am guessing that means a shorter life span. I guess I work on the basis its the only thing actually touching the ground so I am ok with that. Give me grip over anything else any time.

Comparison of DHF to a 2.3 HR2 o a 25mm internal rim:

Random side shot:

[/url]

honourablegeorge

Hmm. Weight is huge. On a par with full on dual ply

Are there standard casing versions? Or will they just release odd and ends but making it impossible to get front and rear in the same size like they do now?

benpinnick

The Dual plys are a bit more (Maxxis always under report the weight). Im finding the DD casing as good as full duals for racing enduro and the like, but a bit more supple. In terms of what you can get right now it looks like this in the UK:

Minion DHF 27.5×2.50WT 60 TPI Folding 3C Maxx Grip (EXO/TR)
    Minion DHF 27.5×2.50WT 60 TPI Folding 3C Maxx Grip (TR/DD)
    Minion DHF 27.5×2.50WT 60 TPI Folding 3C Maxx Terra (EXO/TR)
    Minion DHF 27.5×2.50WT 60 TPI Folding Dual Compound (EXO/TR)
    Minion DHR II 27.5×2.40WT 60 TPI Folding 3C Maxx Terra (EXO/TR)
    Minion DHR II 27.5×2.40WT 60 TPI Folding Dual Compound (EXO/TR)
    Shorty 27.5×2.50WT 60 TPI Folding 3C Maxx Grip (DD)
    Shorty 27.5×2.50WT 60 TPI Folding 3C Maxx Terra (EXO)

(Ignore the TPIs – they are all 120s)

I’d expect the non-DD versions to be in the range of 1000-1050g.

thedude
    Free Member

Those are nice, you don’t have a list showing some 29″ tires maybe. 🙂

benpinnick

Unfortunately the random-sizer kicks in a bit more for 29ers:

Minion DHF 29×2.50 60 TPI Folding 3C Maxx Terra (TR)
    Minion DHF 29×2.50 60 TPI Folding Dual Compound (EXO/TR)
    Minion DHR II 29×2.40WT 60 TPI Folding 3C Maxx Terra (EXO/TR)
    Minion DHR II 29×2.40WT 60 TPI Folding Dual Compound (EXO/TR)
    Shorty 29×2.50WT 60 TPI Folding 3C Maxx Terra (EXO)

honourablegeorge

Am finding 2.5 versions of the DHF and Shorty now – non DD. Was getting frustrated trying to find front and rear 2.4s.

Not sure if they’re WT or not, suspect not. Quoting about 960g

2.5 DHF with a 2.4 DHR2 is what I’l go for, I reckon.

SirHC

Be interesting to see if there is a performance gain despite the significant weight increase (and having to run a wider rim which will add additional weight if you want to maintain the durability).

Minion DHF Dual Ply 27.5×2.5 is 1400g.

thedude
    Free Member

Ooh that dhr 2 29 X 2.4 wt is the one I want. It’s going on a xl scout 290, but I would rather have it on a 29″ bird.

benpinnick

Honourablegeorge AFAIK all 2.5 27.5s are WT. Quoted weights are usually about 5-10% light for Maxxis I find.

benpinnick

EDIT from above – where I said, ‘(Ignore the TPIs – they are all 120s)’ what I meant was ignore the DD TPIs, they are all 120s

honourablegeorge

Tks Ben – is there a minimum recommended internal width for them?

benpinnick

Tks Ben – is there a minimum recommended internal width for them?

35mm, but I am certain you could run 30 ok. I’m sure we’ll be offering that soon enough (after Ive tested it out).

sweaman2
    Free Member

I have a pair of these [ Minion DHF 27.5×2.50WT 60 TPI Folding 3C Maxx Terra (EXO/TR)] on Ibis 741 rims on a HD3. I like them and they grip really well but as you’d expect a little draggy on the ups. Durability is much better than the Hans Dampf they replaced.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just beware on some of the 29’s mate just fitted a new Minion 2.5 on a Flow (25mm) and there is no room for the mud guard on the pike…

BillOddie

Just beware on some of the 29’s mate just fitted a new Minion 2.5 on a Flow (25mm) and there is no room for the mud guard on the pike…

I have 29*2.5 Minion DHF (not WT) on Flow (mk2) in a pike with RRP Enduroguard.

No issues with clearance.

makkag
    Free Member

Its going to be tight as **** on my devilles on the capra ! barely fit a guard under the 2.4 Crosmax im running on the front !

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s heavy. Are the WT ones notably heavier than the normal ones, do you reckon Ben? Wonder how they get so heavy when Schwalbe SG carcasses are closer to 1kg?

I’m still a big fan of Maxxis tyres but they make it so hard to find and buy them – and there are so many versions to wade through now.

As I’m heading to Italy soon I was looking for a sturdy intermediate tyre like a HR2 or Minion DHF in DD casing, for a normal 650b rim. Probably the most-common set-up going now.

Basically couldn’t find one so I’ll be sticking with the Magic Mary SG.

benpinnick

SG carcasses in terms of their construction are close to a regular EXO tyre than a DD I think, as the dual ply only runs up the sidewall, a bit like EXO which is single ply + the EXO bit. Then adding the plastic insert as well, which I guess adds the extra weight but not a huge amount. I think the density of the grav insert is probably alot lower than the butyl off the DD.

The DD is on the other hand basically the DH tyre construction, just with 120TPI rather than 60 and Kevlar rather than wire, otherwise it runs the same Butyl inserts etc. Im not certain but it may well be effectively triple ply over the cap. Depends how they’ve laid it up.

chakaping
    Free Member

Interesting info cheers, I thought from your initial write-up that they might just be DH tyres with folding beads.

Shame Maxxis don’t have a Supergravity equivalent carcass then, as that’s the sweet spot for my riding – but Schwalbe lack a HR2/DHF rival.

dingleberry
    Free Member

How does the size compare to 2.35″ Schwalbes?

honourablegeorge

chakaping – Member

Schwalbe lack a HR2/DHF rival.

Yeah – MAgic Mary and somethinf with big side knobs but just a bt more braking grip and climbing than a Rock Razor would be nice for the wet and slimy conditions (you know, summer)

chakaping
    Free Member

I was thinking for the front with a rock razor on the rear, for dry conditions – but yeah something like a dhr2 for rear use in wetter conditions would be nice too.

I’m actually ok with a snakeskin/exo front tyre for the front in the UK, tbh. Chunky monkey working well at the moment.

benpinnick

How does the size compare to 2.35″ Schwalbes?

Bigger, not sure how much though. I had some in the workshop today but I try not to keep Schwalbes around too long as I find myself having to sweep up the nobbles after them 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘New 2.5 WT DD Maxxis Tyres – Initial thoughts’ is closed to new replies.