Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • new 2019 stumpjumper
  • andybrad

Anyone got one?

So im testing a stumpy 2019 (29er) next week and ill be taking it round some family take stuff at ard rock. Looking at the geo its for a 66.5 head angle. But my current bike (mk10 301) is 66 book number with 150 forks,27.5 front and offset bushed so id expect it to be more like 64 ish?

I didn’t see much difference between the offset bushes tbh apart from the uphill. Because I wont be able to take it down some stupid stuff on the test do you think this will turn into an otb nightmare or itsll be just fine?

Im also interested in any others that have tried one. The last one was ok but a little twitchy.

angeldust
    Free Member

do you think this will turn into an otb nightmare

I’m willing to bet it won’t.  You can’t judge on numbers alone for a start.

andybrad

yea the old one and the car park play on this seemed ok,

thepurist

Check out the ‘old skool geomtery’ thread – there’s probably plent of people riding stupid stuff on steeper numbers than those with no problem.  See what you think after riding it.

andybrad

possibly…..

LMT
    Free Member

Yep I’ve got one, first ride out yesterday, I’ve got the carbon comp st 29er, felt a bit odd at first, distant to the trail, but once I settled and I tweaked the suspension was a great ride, good downhill and quick! But only early days, I’m hoping it will be as good as the camber 26er expert I had…

LMT
    Free Member

Tried to show an pic, doesn’t want to work…

andybrad

what do you mean distant to the trail?

LMT
    Free Member

Felt disconnected, didn’t feel quite right, but that could be the chunky tyres, or just dry trails, after the first hour it settled down and felt great to ride.

I guess to bear in mind it’s my first carbon bike, and first time on Fox forks, the whole bike is a massive upgrade to what I’m used to.

andybrad

Ridden but never owned a carbon bike before..

Im concerned coming from pikes to 34 grips it’s going to be rubbish

LMT
    Free Member

I’ve only had revs or reba’s 110-125mm over the years and tbh the fox forks where great! It’s the clearance for 27.5 plus that’s why I got it.

adsh
    Free Member

How much rain overnight? Biblical in Launceston

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Im currently riding the ’19 comp alloy 29er.. i know what you mean about the back end feeling a bit numb. A mate of mine refuses to ride spesh for that very reason… he said its just the way they feel with the linkage design. Coming from a mojo hd its very apparent.

Ive been getting ontop of the shock settings and that has been having results.

And like you say the big tires wont help either.

All told though its a weapon. Eats up the rough and fast.

LMT
    Free Member

I’m onto the 3rd ride out on the new stumpy and it’s grown on me, gone from not sure to loving it! For me it inspires confidence there’s some features at Cannock I haven’t ridden in years, today nailed them all! The swat feature is great means less on my back, tempted to use a roadie jersey next trip and ditch the backpack.

Im not hitting strava highs but not expecting to, the bike does attract attention on the trails I get asked what’s that? As the logo ‘s are discrete, at the cafe had a couple of bikers having a look, yep had it locked up!

Possibly second best bike I’ve ever had, Orange P7 tops the list.

andybrad

took a test ride on it at ard rock. Along with a cotic rocket and a spectral.

i think ill be spending my money on the stumpy but ive been told there are some spec changes any time now but no one will tell me what!!!!

anyone want to buy a liteville301?

ridersbone
    Free Member

Did anyone have the opportunity to test the new Stumpjumper EVO? I’m quite curious about this one but can’t find a place with this one in stock

LMT
    Free Member

Before I got the stumpy I had another bike on my radar which was the Trek Fuel ex8 plus, there’s about £850 difference in cost, stumpy has the upper hand ever at that price difference, carbon fibre, better brakes, 29er wheels while the trek has 27plus.

The other factor is it was in stock, the trek still isn’t, I doubt there will be a spec change as the bikes are less than 3 months old, but specialized have done a mid launch change before..

I did my usual round the car park at the fort Dunlop store, which was it, I’ve got the ST version, the evo was out of my price range so didn’t try, they did have one in stock.

andybrad

Did anyone have the opportunity to test the new Stumpjumper EVO? I’m quite curious about this one but can’t find a place with this one in stock

i sat one one. felt good but was so low it would be unusable for me.

andybrad

The other factor is it was in stock, the trek still isn’t, I doubt there will be a spec change as the bikes are less than 3 months old, but specialized have done a mid launch change before..

i thought it strange 2 but ive had 2 guys from specialized and a guy from leasure lakes suggest they are moving to sram groupset and another colour on the carbon comp.

if i could find out what the colour is id probably buy one……

LMT
    Free Member

I think the battleship blue is awesome! Can’t figure out how to post a picture but hopefully a link…

Speshi stumpjumper

My last bike was SRAM, and to be honest, very little between it. Shimano have upped there game, the XT feels better than the Sram GX I have on my fuse.

dlr

I tried the large Carbon comp 29er at the Ard Rock, comparing it to my Vitus Escarpe 29er 150/140. Stumpy tons lighter as you would expect with the carbon frame but also less beefy components. Fork’s not great but only had a quick fettle. One of the women running the demos also said there was to be a spec change to Sram gearing but was unsure on the brakes. I queried this as it seemed odd. She explained that the bike was first released at a spec that was available ie what they could get from Shimano but now will be supplied from elsewhere (Sram), which to me is good as much prefer Sram and I hope they swap the brakes as well. All 3 bikes I rode with Shimano brakes had the same random bite point issues as ones I used to use a year ago!

Wish you could buy the frame only for a sensible amount as I would probably do that and swap all my bits over. The Stumpy rode great and was really fast. Pinged around a bit more than my Escarpe but some of that will be the weight. Stock gearing was a nightmare for me and nearly led to vomiting on the demo climb as I am used to spinning fast with 28×50 lowest whereas it had 34×46 or something which was murder despite being lighter (cue people replying saying meh I run 34×42 FINE uphill)

andybrad

i found the brakes fine.

the front forks were ok. not as nice as my pike but there you go, not that far away.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Had a customer asking about a Stumpy Evo about a month ago . Phoned Spesh as there were no details on the B2B and was told that it would be well into October before they were available .

andybrad
    mickmcd
    Free Member

Black and red is the US market colour ( I so wanted to say colourway )?

andybrad

there was talk of a more grey white…

who knows..

Tracey

Wish I could ride like he does

BigM
    Free Member

I own one, XL 29, in alloy. Not long back from a week in Chatel, way faster than my enduro even with less travel.

More composed and actually more fun to ride, can’t fault it, felt far more confident when in the air.

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

Dealers that have pre ordered the Evo will have them early September, the next lot drop in October I think. If you want a reasonably priced frame then buy the carbon comp full bike for £3500 ( same price as the SWorks frame) and then sell all the bits. The comp frame and the SWorks are the same except the decals and the shock.

LMT
    Free Member

Well I’ve been riding the new stumpy all summer and it’s awesome, how did I come to this…well today went back to my fuse and spent the 17 miles wishing I was riding the stumpy!

It was last weeks outing that made me swap, I take the train and the stumpy was getting unwanted attention, and as I only drive when I go to wales or Scotland I didn’t want to risk it so took the less attention seeking fuse, guess I will be driving to Cannock in future.

The new stumpjumper has grown on me, it climbs better it descends well, the suspension just works, I’m not sold on the cassette I prefer the sunrace on the fuse as there’s no massive gap between gears, but other than that I’m happy with the bike, Scotland soon should be a blast!!

mickmcd
    Free Member

the new colours 

they are indeed black and red and the kiwi market blue

Oddly Im enjoying riding a scalpel more than the stumpy, not sure if shorter travel is more enjoyable yet

andybrad

I ended up with the Stumpy expert instead of the comp (bit of an impulse purchase)

Its lovely to ride. really enjoying it.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘new 2019 stumpjumper’ is closed to new replies.