Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New 160mm fork, what to do
  • zezaskar
    Free Member

Hi all,

Currently have a 2018 RS Yari RC, 29″ 150mm.
    Looking to upgrade to a 160mm fork with a better damper, the Motion Control spikes quite hard, it seems.
    So, don’t want to spend much money and would like to keep the axle to crown length as short as possible.

I’ve considered the following options:
    A) Buying a 160mm air shaft and a Charger 2 damper for my Yari. Should set me back about €280 and end up with a 571mm AC

B) Buying a Marzocchi Bomber Z1. Has the Grip damper, which I loved on my old Fox 34 Performance and short 567mm AC. Can find them at €790, then sell the Yari

C) Buying a RS Lyrik RC2. It’s red but quite a long AC at 572mm. Should need €810 or so, minus the Yari sale

D) Buying a Fox 36 Performance Elite FIT4. Can find them for €830, same short 567mm AC as the Z1. But are they €40 better than the Marzocchis?

Mind that I’m not a big fan of too much suspension dials, I just want to mess with sag, rebound and have a good damper performance

Thanks in advance

bikecurious
    Free Member

I’d go for the first option. You basically end up with a lyrik and it’s by far the cheapest. How much does 4mm of a2c really matter?

zezaskar
    Free Member

I can knock option A) to about €220 if I go for the RCT3 damper instead of the RC2. Much of a difference?
    In my case I really wanted to keep the AC as low as possible, but not a completely blocking point

samuelr
    Free Member

Marzocchi bomber for nostalgia. Plus you can fit the grip2 damper in it (im pretty sure you can).

zezaskar
    Free Member

I always loved the old Marzocchi brand, was by far my favorite at the time.
    If the standard Grip damper they come with is as good as the Grip I had in my 34 then I see no reason to upgrade to the Grip2

longmover
    Free Member

Marzocchi bomber for nostalgia. Plus you can fit the grip2 damper in it (im pretty sure you can).

Then stick a coil spring in the other side and you’ll have the fork the new Z1 should have been.

samuelr
    Free Member

Agreed. Marzocchi should be the coil brand and fox for the air.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

You could also fit the FAST Yari UP damper, which gives independent control of low and medium speed compression damping. £230 at TF.

JP

joebristol

I’d go rct3 charger 2 and a change of the airshaft. You say you don’t like fiddling so you don’t need separate high and low speed compression damper dials as well as a rebound dial, air pressure and tokens to think about.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Regarding Fox:
    I know – it sounds strange – but for me “Grip” works better than “Fit4”.

For the high end forks “Grip 2” is now state of the “Fox art”. But even the cheaper “Grip” is better than “Fit 4” in my opinion…

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Buying a RS Lyrik RC2. It’s red but quite a long AC at 572mm. Should need €810 or so, minus the Yari sale

That’s the Axle to Crown for the 180mm Lyrik! The Yari is the same chassis! If you put an RC2 damper in it, you have yourself a Lyrik!

The RC2 damper is 278 from Tredz!

zezaskar
    Free Member

That’s the Axle to Crown for the 180mm Lyrik! The Yari is the same chassis! If you put an RC2 damper in it, you have yourself a Lyrik!

I’m talking about 29er forks. The 160mm 29 Lyric A2C is indeed 572mm, you can check it

zezaskar
    Free Member

One more option just showed up. A local guy is selling a 2019 MY Fox 36 Factory, Grip2, supposedly 1 week of use, for 650€. Might worth a look?

travo
    Free Member

Evans are doing 2019 RC2 lyriks for £549 here

dumbbot
    Free Member

Evans are doing 2019 RC2 lyriks for £549 here

That seems like a crazy price almost too good to be true, ..whats the catch.

marksnook
    Free Member

Don’t know but thanks just ordered a set! 495 after the British cyclinh 10% off! So so cheap

superstu
    Free Member

Don’t know but thanks just ordered a set! 495 after the British cyclinh 10% off! So so cheap

marksnook – I thought the CRC discount was now £10 off > £150 rather than 10%?

RichBowman

It’s 10% off with Evans – no minimum spend either (I think), but not on complete bikes though.

Rich

marksnook
    Free Member

Yeah 10% at Evans, it’s not shown on the home page, think it’s listed under memeber benefits. You have to fill in some details and they email you a code

zezaskar
    Free Member

Anyone knows if there are any differences between the Yari and Lyrik besides damper? Seals?

joebristol

I think I read the Lyrik May have marginally better seals but it costs peanuts really to change them. When I upgraded my Yari I put in an rct3 charger 2 damper, a debonair 2019 airshaft and I bought a TF tuned service kit which had new skf seals in it. It’s so much plusher now than it was as a Yari with moco.

zezaskar
    Free Member

After much contemplation I’ve decided I want to stay with Rockshox products. I really prefer the ease of disassemble, the sag markings, the service intervals and parts availability.

So, down to options
    A) Upgrade the Yari with Charger 2 RCT3 damper and Debonair spring

B) get a new Lyrik RC2 with 42mm offset

Option A) means a smaller initial investment. Also, since I’m no setup tinkerer the RCT3 might make sense, as long as t has the same quality damper.

Option B) means I can try the reduced offset. Also, after the sale of the Yari and discounting the damper/spring investment it might even come cheaper in the end

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New 160mm fork, what to do’ is closed to new replies.