Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Neverlasting Bottom Brackets
  • gunthunter
    Free Member

Hope External Stainless Steel External BB- Lasted Only 6 Months

Never JetWashed, less than 20 rides + Hit The North Solo

Now has Drive side play.

Am I Just unlucky?

Whats your experience of these?

solamanda
    Free Member

The shimano BB will last atleast a year if regreased every so often and installed properly.

richc
    Free Member

mine never has, I am trying acros ones at the moment.

brant
    Free Member

>Hit The North Solo

Warranty is null and void after 12hrs in that much muck.

gunthunter
    Free Member

I used to re-grease Shimano’s BB’s and did get 10-12 months out of them. However, I was hoping that the Hope’s would be the silver bullet to the External BB sealing problem.

Its not just the re-placement cost of the BB that’s the issue, don’t think that regular removal and re-fitting of the cups is ‘kind’ to the shell threads.

Bought a Ti456 before XMAS , and of course I want to give it the best TLC possible 🙂

Anyone tried re-conditioning the BB as per instruction on following website?

http://www.smbbearings.com/BB_BRGS.htm

Or what are the best external BB’s on the market?

phiiiiil

Hit The North solo pretty much destroyed every bit of my bike, too, so I wouldn’t just blame the BB… 🙂

ibis
    Free Member

Take the bb bracket apart wash out the s**t grease that comes in the bearings and re grease with decent water proof stuff.
    Its not in the manufacturers interest to make stuff that lasts me thinks.

Del

Its not in the manufacturers interest to make stuff that lasts me thinks.

this attitude amazes. what on earth make you think that a rep for longevity is somehow harmful for a brand?

solamanda
    Free Member

this attitude amazes. what on earth make you think that a rep for longevity is somehow harmful for a brand?

Longevity means people buy less often. The only way I can see to fix the problem is a bigger BB shell where the bearings are pressed inboard and substantial labyrinth seals – much like hope rear hubs.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Longevity means people buy less often.

No longevity to a product means people won’t buy again

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Have you been traversing streams, large puddles etc where you’re BB is submerged?

Stoner
    Free Member

rockthreegozy, no……

longevity means people wont buy the same product again for a long time but because it lasted so long, they will buy that product…

gunthunter
    Free Member

Have you been traversing streams, large puddles etc where you’re BB is submerged?

No streams, just large muddy puddles, or just the largest muddy puddle ever aka ‘Hit the North’

Suppose can’t really blame Hope , the external BB concept wasn’t their invention, more the big whip hand of Shimano pushing the industry towards their own standards even if they are flawed. ( Just like Micro$oft with Vista!)

However, I do remember the good old UNC72 Square taper BB lasting for a couple of years even with riding through streams & puddles.

Older designs are often superior, maybe Shimano will bring back an internal BB design in next years XTR groupset. Whatever happened to OctaLink? 🙂

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

On my Epic I use the RaceFace X-Type DH external bottom bracket (mainly because the numpty I bought the frame from had stripped some of the shell thread!). It has a longer thread and I am convinced it is alot stronger. I can get away with about 6 months mixed riding with it (say 2-3000 miles).

Dibbs
    Free Member

The only way I can see to fix the problem is a bigger BB shell

A bit like BB30 then http://www.bb30standard.com/

njee20
    Free Member

‘Older designs are often superior, maybe Shimano will bring back an internal BB design in next years XTR groupset. Whatever happened to OctaLink?’

I used to kill XTR Octalink B/Bs far quicker than HT2, I don’t know what you people do to them! They won’t revert though, XT HT2 weighs less than XTR M952 and an Octalink B/B, without a doubt it’s backwards progression! The XTR B/Bs were also £50, with no other choices. Methinks there’s a degree of viewing things through rose tinted spectacles, give me HT2 anyday…

Although I’ve now got BB30, which based on a few friends bikes, is no better than ISIS!

jim
    Free Member

Water sitting in the BB shell?

Its not just the re-placement cost of the BB that’s the issue, don’t think that regular removal and re-fitting of the cups is ‘kind’ to the shell threads.

While not ideal it’s quite possible just to push more grease in without removing the cups.

BoardinBob

Truvativ Isoflow BB on my bike for the last 2.5 years and it’s still super smooth. 😉

glenh
    Free Member

I also have no idea what people do to HTII BBs to kill them so quickly. Maybe they aren’t installed correctly?

All my HTII BBs (including a SS one) have lasted fine. Only had to replace one so far, after 2.5 (damn wet) years.

The only BB I’ve ever had problems with was an isis one, which lasted 10 dry rides.

z1ppy

Phil Woods bearing replacements from Sideways cycles, as there no need for ceramic marketing hype.

18months +

solamanda
    Free Member

A bit like BB30 then http://www.bb30standard.com/

As far as I can tell that doesn’t provide any extra sealing over the current system. The bearings need to be mounted well inboard with a substantial seal covering them. The bearings themselves don’t need to be any bigger than current HTII.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

UN52 square taper in my hardtail

done 7 years so far

that’s progress for you

glenh
    Free Member

…. except the crank rounded off on the last square taper I had (and I’m not fat).

Upandrunning
    Free Member

I thought you could replace the bearings separately on the Hope BB at a much cheaper cost than the whole unit itself.

brownpants
    Free Member

Nobody tried the Chris King yet?

I’ll let you know if it lasts longer than 6 months

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

What I like about Shimano BB’s is that they die consistently. I could set my clock by the old UN72’s starting to seize up at the 12 month old point. Sure you could carry on riding them and grind them to death for a good deal longer, but I chose not to.

I reckon non-drive side HT2 bearings last about the same length of time, but fail pretty terminally at that point and seize solid. Needless to say I have plenty of drive side cups that are still fine!

I’ve tried an Acros ceramic BB and they’re good and last well. I’ve got a SS Hope BB on my Five now and bought it specifically because the bearings are serviceable. I hate the idea of disposable components so I’m hoping the Hope unit will be good long term solution.

As well as sealing and the weather conditions, the pedalling style and power of the rider also has an impact on bearing life don’t forget.

fivespot
    Free Member

My Zerk grease ported HT II BB has been been used twice a week on average all through the winter, and still smooooooth. It was already a well used (9 months old) one before the Zerk conversion.

jim
    Free Member

the pedalling style and power of the rider also has an impact on bearing life don’t forget.

I think they fail well before that becomes a factor at all. Water ingress is what kills them, not bearing wear.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My Zerk grease ported HT II BB has been been used twice a week on average all through the winter, and still smooooooth.

My standard XTR has been used much more than that without the slightest problem or faffing.

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

jimmer himself – Member
    What I like about Shimano BB’s is that they die consistently. I could set my clock by the old UN72’s starting to seize up at the 12 month old point. Sure you could carry on riding them and grind them to death for a good deal longer, but I chose not to.

I reckon non-drive side HT2 bearings last about the same length of time, but fail pretty terminally at that point and seize solid. Needless to say I have plenty of drive side cups that are still fine!

I’ve tried an Acros ceramic BB and they’re good and last well. I’ve got a SS Hope BB on my Five now and bought it specifically because the bearings are serviceable. I hate the idea of disposable components so I’m hoping the Hope unit will be good long term solution.

As well as sealing and the weather conditions, the pedalling style and power of the rider also has an impact on bearing life don’t forget.

Why don’t you put the bearings from the left-over drive side cups into a couple of the non-drive side cups and have fully functional BBs again!

Eggbox
    Free Member

I have one side superstar and one side shimano rescued from knackered HTIIs. The inner sleeve doesn’t fit too well but i just packed it with grease…can’t be any worse than before.

I got two months (summer) from a factory fitted shimano and almost a year from a superstar (including Hit the north). It’s never both bearings that go just one side…different each time.

gnarlynath
    Free Member

strange, I was thinking yesterday how well my Hope SS BB was lasting and how pleased I was with it. Shiman0 and RF BBs failed after 2-3 months but my Hope has been on for over a year now and riden heaps in all conditions, its on my winter hak. I cleaned it out the other day. Not that there was much to clean out they were very shiney. I squidged more grease into the bearings so I’m happy they’ll be there another year.

singletrackmind

Anyone got any idea where all the crapo actually gets in from. IS it ‘creeping’ up the axel, or being forced by some crazy reverse centrifugal force in through the seals . My most recent RF x type BB lasted maybe 5 months and about 20 rides. Its now pinging and clacking away on power the pedals, although it runs smoothly.
    Might try some neoprene glue ( blackwitch ) on the exposed surfaces on the next one. Was going to bite the bullet and go with a Hope SS one, but if they fail they are rebuildable apparently, then try to get some high end bearings fitted.

gunthunter
    Free Member

“I thought you could replace the bearings separately on the Hope BB at a much cheaper cost than the whole unit itself.”

Cheapest single offical ‘Hope Bearing’ I saw for sale was £19!

Plus, you I reckon you have to remove the cup from the frame and drift them out. Not really that serviceable compared with swapping FSA XL Headset bearings.

Really do like the look of that ‘Zerk grease ported HT II BB’ ! Reminds me of the WTB grease guard headset.

Fivespot; Where did you get it done and how much?

knott4me
    Free Member

used various ones with ltd success untill i tried an across,still super smooth & yes shelling out £90.00 for a bb is steep it is still buttery smooth 6 mths in & looking good to triple that time.

gunthunter
    Free Member
    fivespot
    Free Member

singletrackmind:- after stripping 5 HT2 BB’s over the last 6 months (not mine), all had failed on the none drive side bearing. All due to the ingres of water, which quickly rusts the bearing track and balls overnight. Then when next used, if it does turn, it will be grinding its way round with rusty pitted balls and bearing surface.

My guess is that the radius on the back of the crank arm helps to channel the water directly into the seal area of the bearing. The drive side however, gets a lot more protection from the spinning sprockets, which will help deflect any muck and water away from said bearing.

gunthunter:- I did it myself. Got the idea from when I had my 5spot, and just happen to have kept the grease gun after selling it. The grease ports are from some old spherical bearings. To get the grease ports where I wanted them, I had to mark the BB cups when they were in the frame, so as they would return to the same spot when refitted. Not expensive, but a bit fiddly.

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

Jimmer,

The Acros BB’s are fully user serviceable. The manual that comes with the BB explains how to strip, clean & re-grease their BB’s & Headsets.

J

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Is being serviceable not a step backwards from the sealed fit and forget cartridge units?

People seem to be accepting they’re ‘serviceable’ as a mitigating excuse for the inherently poor design. Just another thing to have to service on your bike. Some people must spend more time ‘servicing’ than riding 😉

jonesyboy

Makes you wonder wtf they don’t design the non drive side crank arm to shield the cup a bit more! You’d think these shimano guys would have heard of labyrinth seals etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Neverlasting Bottom Brackets’ is closed to new replies.