Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Never read the bottom half of the Internet
  • Cougar

Tesco have started selling plasters in skin tones other than Caucasian. They posted about it on Twitter. But the comments… my god, the comments…

If you ever need an example of “white privilege,” here we are. Enlightened times. (Pardon the pun.)

hols2
    Free Member

bottom half of the Internet

This expression deserves unpacking.

hols2
    Free Member

Or pics, at least.

sobriety
    Free Member

It does, my GF is torn between happy that they’ve finally done it and annoyed that they don’t have one that matches chinese skin.

hols2
    Free Member

Actually, I did an image search. Lots of pics. I’ll be back shortly. Need to clutch the pearls for a bit.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Tbf the comment linking to bacon shaped bandages suggesting gammons use those is the funniest thing I’ve read all day, granted I just woke up.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It does, my GF is torn between happy that they’ve finally done it and annoyed that they don’t have one that matches chinese skin.

It does lack granularity somewhat.

Where’s “Celtic in winter” and “Celtic in Summer”?

Stoner
    Free Member

has anyone made the joke about blue skin ones? Im sure they have. And I bet its not racist at all. No sireee.

Stoner
    Free Member

I said you can get blue plasters….

kelvin

Poopscoop

Twitter is utterly toxic.

Only run it in a webpage on occasions such as this thread and thank God I’m not active on it at all.

DezB
    Free Member

has anyone made the joke about blue skin ones? Im sure they have. And I bet its not racist at all. No sireee.

Is Smurf an actual race? If so, it is. Horribly so.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Isn’t this the bottom half?

Shackleton

I think, just like in everything, STW is very much the middle.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Do people actually worry if a plaster matches their skin or not? Never even thought about this before and always assumed that’s just the colour plasters were! Having a young child now I regularly end up with multi coloured plasters or Peppa pig etc 😂

If it is a genuine issue for people with darker skin then I don’t see the need for all the hate about it, selling a product catering for people with different needs to your own is pretty harmless.

funkmasterp

Just use clear plasters or the ones with dinosaurs on them. Also what about bandages Tesco and dressings?

Cougar

Twitter is utterly toxic.

No it’s not. People are toxic, Twitter just gives them a voice.

If it is a genuine issue for people with darker skin

I doubt it’s a “genuine issue” in the grand scheme of things, like, it’s not life-threatening or anything. Just a gentle passive reminder that society considers them second-rate citizens I suppose.

I don’t see the need for all the hate about it, selling a product catering for people with different needs to your own is pretty harmless.

Exactly, why should anyone white care? Choice good. One may argue that brown people don’t ‘need’ brown plasters, but can you imagine what would happen if that situation were reversed and Tesco were discontinuing the paler skin-coloured ones at the same time? We’d rapidly find out how much of a genuine issue it was for people then.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Tw*tter, F*cebook, Y*utube comments regularly offer me 1000+ reasons to give up hope for humanity. Then I remember that ‘empty vessels… etc…’

selling a product catering for people with different needs to your own is pretty harmless.

I suppose some people just feel so ‘secure’ in sticking plasters being ‘Caucasian’ that they seem to default extend that ‘security’ into social media 🤣

matt_outandabout

null

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t see the need for all the hate about it, selling a product catering for people with different needs to your own is pretty harmless.

Exactly, why should anyone white care? Choice good. One may argue that brown people don’t ‘need’ brown plasters, but can you imagine what would happen if that situation were reversed and Tesco were discontinuing the paler skin-coloured ones at the same time? We’d rapidly find out how much of a genuine issue it was for people then.

Oh, look, exactly the Twitter discussion you were ripping the piss out of.

devash
    Free Member

I think with big dents to their profits and looming supply chain issues caused by Brexit, Tesco have chosen to release these now as some kind of gammon-baiting exercise.

escrs
    Free Member

The bottom half of the internet should only ever be read by Dave Gorman in his Found Poem format

PJM1974
    Free Member

I think with big dents to their profits and looming supply chain issues caused by Brexit, Tesco have chosen to release these now as some kind of gammon-baiting exercise.

There’s a definite open season on the gammony sorts from normally tolerant folk. My mother (who voted to leave) phoned the other evening to tell me that my father (who voted leave) is struggling to find carers because apparently “they’ve all had enough and gone back to Europe”. Chickens have a way of coming home to roost. Trouble is, no-one wins.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

PR and marketing at Tesco must be p*ssing themselves and basking in the glory of their social media reach. They have harnessed the power of the super-woke and mega-gammon to spread the word about their new product range. Well done.

With regards to the products, it seems like a nice idea. If you don’t like it don’t buy it.

tomhoward

The bottom half of the internet should only ever be read by Dave Gorman in his Found Poem format

I’ve often thought of tweeting him a link to this place, after some threads…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Never read the bottom half of the Internet’ is closed to new replies.