Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Network Help
  • Flash
    Free Member

Afternoon,

Where I work if I scan for open networks an incredibly racist network name comes up. I’ve reported it to the police but they said basically we’ve had this reported before but can’t find it.

I went on to explain if they find the IP Address they could then contact the ISP and get the account details. They asked if I could do it.

I can connect to the network but the Gateway address is hidden, could anyone recommend any software or point me in the correct direction?

– Thanks

wwaswas

tell them you think it’s a cover for muslim extremists.

They’ll have it tracked down in 3 minutes.

woody2000

Get connected (poss shaky ground there tho), then go to whatsmyip.org to get the external IP address

Milkie
    Free Member

You could take down the Wi-Fi using a JB’d iPhone. I’m pretty sure we’re not allowed to discuss illegal activities on here tho.

Or use a laptop and pringles wifi antenna to track down the property where the signal is coming from.

Flash
    Free Member

I can connect to the network but not the Internet

woody2000

You could always chance your arm at the router admin page, see if they’ve left it at the default username/password. You are very definitely into hacking territory then and I suspect legally you’d probably be classified as “very naughty” 🙂

greeble
    Free Member

You could always chance your arm at the router admin page, see if they’ve left it at the default username/password. You are very definitely into hacking territory then and I suspect legally you’d probably be classified as “very naughty”

how would they ever trace it was you?

wwaswas

how would they ever trace it was you?

via the fact he politely gave the police the IP address he could only have gained via accessing the router illegally?

Markie
    Free Member

What does it tell you when you try to connect to internet? it may be that you just cant access a DNS server, in which case try to visit

http://208.79.211.112

which is whatsmyip.org’s address. Google’s is below, which may help too.

http://74.125.53.100/

Or, of course, this may not help at all. :/

greeble
    Free Member

thats not illegal.
    If the router is left open with no security and someone connects its up to the admin of the network to assure the wifi is secure.
    using 3rd party programs again access to a secure router is illegal.

There was an issue of people downloading torrent files and a few isp’s sent out letters telling them court action would be taken. People replied with it wasn’t them someone must have been accessing their wifi.
    the ISP replied with its up to the person who has the router to administer the wifi.
    tbh i have 8 or 9+ wifi spots in my street 3 I can sccess without any security

greeble
    Free Member

try connecting to the wifi and putting http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar

woody2000

greeble – it’s totally illegal, secure or otherwise. Misuse of telecoms act or somesuch. Bit like saying it’s ok to nick your bike if you didn’t lock it up!

randomjeremy
    Free Member

@ Flash You are illegally trying to access someone’s network. Any “evidence” you collect will not be admissible in court, in fact you will probably be sued.

@greeble no, you’re incorrect.

VVV What he said. This isn’t 24, you aren’t a policeman.

jota180
    Free Member

You’ve reported it, just leave it at that

Cougar

Use something like “WiFi Analyzer” on a phone, go walkabout watching the signal strength and see if you can work out where it is. Then report it.

greeble
    Free Member

ok illegal it is.

now what happens if..

there is an unsecure wifi network.
    someone connects to it.
    accesses no nasty websites
    performs some illegal activity.
    disconnects and is never to be seen?

the police trace the isp and IP of this act. knock on the door of that persons house.
    what happens? how would the person prove it wasn’t them?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

They don’t have to, the prosecutor has to prove guilt, not the other way around.

Milkie
    Free Member

Do what Cougar and I said.. Which isn’t illegal. 😉

Flash
    Free Member

I do not want to touch the data all I’m looking for is the external IP Address.

The router is not secure they just have the Gateway hidden

Funnily enough it was the Copper that asked if I could get the information, to be honest I’m surprised the Police haven’t done more as it’s been previously reported.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Stop now and walk away

Milkie
    Free Member

You will not be able to get the IP address without doing something illegal. Then you will need to get in touch with the Police, who will then need a court order (or something) to get the ISP to release the IP details..

Much easier to walk around with your phone and see when the signal does up and down, to locate the physical address.

wwaswas

Using their bandwidth is theft. If the police wanted to chase it up they could.

Contact mp/local press to get something done if it bothers you enough

Gary_M
    Free Member

Flash there are lots of other racist actions you could take action against, tracking down someone’s ip address isn’t going to change the world. Just leave it.

xiphon
    Free Member

http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

Used this + laptop + GPS dongle to find unsecure networks for email, light browsing. The GPS allows you to find them again.

Also shows signal strength, so it can be useful for ‘locating’ the source walking around.

There’s some alternatives for mobiles too.

Disclaimer: Not that I support doing things illegally…

There are other ways you can change the world – watch a Kony2012 video for example…

Flash
    Free Member

Interesting attitude there Gary M, lots of bad stuff happens in the world, changing one part will not alter that.

I also think possible breaking of the law to contribute towards the removal of the network is well worth it

Having said that I cannot obtain this information, if the police do not do anything about it I will contact the local MP.

xiphon
    Free Member

Some light reading, before you attempt network penetration..

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/18/contents

😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Network Help’ is closed to new replies.