Viewing 40 posts - 2,761 through 2,800 (of 3,891 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • sadexpunk

another fan of The White Lotus here. altho just to go slightly against the grain, we preferred the 1st series (only slightly)

Spoiler:
    was shocked that the hotel manager was the one to pop it, i thought he’d probably be the constant in any following series. shades of basil fawlty on acid (literally)

and on the back of that recommendation earlier for nine perfect strangers ^^^, didnt get past the first episode.

richardkennerley

we’ve just watched Mayflies

Just watched the second half. Can’t say anything more about it right now other than watch it.

BoardinBob

Just watched The Stranger on netflix. Australian crime movie. Indie feel, quite surreal at points, brilliant use of sound. About an undercover cop and a suspected child murderer. Very enjoyable but it’s not an easy watch. It’s tense, dark and unsettling

chakaping
    Free Member

Mrs FH was recommended Traitors,after a couple of episodes she said “You have to watch this” ,so I did catch up and we were hooked

I gave it a try after several recommendations.

It’s clunky, flabby, Claudia is wooden AF and some of the contestants are annoying enough to appear on The Apprentice… but it’s fiendishly addictive.

Watched four of them last night.

fasthaggis

It’s clunky, flabby, Claudia is wooden AF and some of the contestants are annoying enough to appear on The Apprentice… but it’s fiendishly addictive

That’s the thing,every episode I keep thinking “WhyTF am I watching this nonsense” then I click next. 😆 🤣 😂

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s the thing,every episode I keep thinking “WhyTF am I watching this nonsense” then I click next.

I know, I didn’t go to bed til almost 2am last night 😀

It’s such a good format. I think it will run and run and they’ll iron out some of the creases and tighten it up. Would work better as 40-45 min episodes rather than an hour IMO, and with a more engaging host.

beej

It’s such a good format. I think it will run and run and they’ll iron out some of the creases and tighten it up. Would work better as 40-45 min episodes rather than an hour IMO, and with a more engaging host

You can get it down to 30-35 mins if you fast forward through the challenges.

Cougar

Dichen Lachman was unrecognizable from Altered Carbon – I knew I’d seen her before, but couldn’t think where

She was in Animal kingdom if I remember correctly.

Dollhouse.

chakaping
    Free Member

You can get it down to 30-35 mins if you fast forward through the challenges.

Yep, the forward button was used during the sheep one for sure.

😀

shinton
    Free Member

We watched Pulp Fiction last night on Netflix and it has aged remarkably well. It was also amusing seeing the car cleaning scene with The Wolf who went on to do the Direct Line adverts.

33tango

I started watching Top Boy on Netflix which was mentioned previously. I’m 4 episodes in and I’m really enjoying it.

BoardinBob

The Wolf who went on to do the Direct Line adverts.

I’m sure Harvey Keitel will be happy to know that’s his legacy

teenrat

I’m now watching the second series of Alice in Borderland.

It’s very good

Houns

Binged Kaleidoscope over the last couple of days, enjoyable and hard to get head around Fring being someone else. No spolier, but I’m puzzled by the FBI agent in final/white episode.

Slow horses season 2 was ok, better than nothing, good to see a 3rd series coming.

A spy among friends on ITVX was great, old school spy series.

Then finally a spy thing on, we’ll I can’t remember what format it was on, about MI6. Main character was poor, spoilt what could’ve been a great series. Could tell it’d be rubbish as it was one of those shows where there’s irritating music at a too loud level all the way through.

Right, best get on with my Uni work now

fossy

Enjoyed Alice in Borderland – re-watched S1 too

winston
    Free Member

Not Netflix but Disney – finally got round to watching 3 billboards outside Ebbing Missouri. Was expecting a sort of Erin Brockovic type film…..erm very much not that. Didn’t realise it was the same guy as In Bruges. Epic swearing, ultra violence and very black humour. Very watchable load of nonsense that doesn’t really tell you much. Banshees of Inisherin next I guess…..

chakaping
    Free Member

Banshees of Inisherin next

Watched this on Disney the other night. Excellent film, very much back to the level of In Bruges (rather than Three Billboards).

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Can I apologise for recommending Witcher Blood Origins.
    I liked first episode but the rest went very downhill.

desperatebicycle

Anyone tried Kaleidoscope or White Noise on Netflix? Been recommended and casts look decent, so wondered

llama

Enjoyed the last Dark Materials (iPlayer). Considering the last book reads like he wrote it pissed and the theme and setting gets pretty far out, it was a pretty good job all in all.

Thought that Witcher lite was Ok. Lenny Henry was awful mind. (Edit) As were the stick on ears.

chakaping
    Free Member

Enjoyed the last Dark Materials (iPlayer). Considering the last book reads like he wrote it pissed

I’ve always said this. Well, I thought he might have been on the wacky baccy, but the result is the same – it just sort of unraveled and didn’t seem to have any real conclusion.

llama

Yes they cut a load out and changed some bits and the result was something that converged a lot better, at least for TV anyway (imo)

oomidamon

Watched The Volcano: Rescue From Whakaari on Netflix last night, pretty grim but worth watching.

johnx2
    Free Member

watched episode 1 last night of the netflix adaptation of Elena Ferrante’s book ‘The Lying Life of Adults’. We really really liked “My brilliant friend” which was Now I think, which also credited the enigmatic Ferrante (c) as one of the writers. Anyway, it looks great and I’m hooked, which is good as we’d about run out of compelling tv.

johnx2
    Free Member

Can I apologise for recommending Witcher Blood Origins.
    I liked first episode but the rest went very downhill.

How? How could it?? This makes me want to give it anther chance.

We made it nearly to the end of episode 1 – the wobbly walled studio scenes had a certain early doctor who papier mache charm and the acting was certainly, let’s say committed. But blimey it was unwatchable garbage.

ta11pau1

Slow horses season 2 was ok, better than nothing, good to see a 3rd series coming.

Binged S1 of this the other day, just started S2. It’s fantastic, but I’ll admit if it wasn’t for Gary Oldman it’d go from a 9/10 to a 6/10, his character makes the show.

dogbone

I got Apple TV free with the credit card. Currently powering through Slow Horses. Whole family enjoying it.

thols2

I got Apple TV free with the credit card.

Severance is utterly brilliant too. Maybe the best TV show of last year.

2tyred

White Noise on Netflix?

Watched it earlier this week, had been looking forward to it as a fan of both DeLillo and Noah Baumbach.

I think it was brilliant – it was certainly immersive, aurally and aesthetically great, but a large chunk of it was puzzling (in the tone Baumbach uses, rather than what’s happening) and left me wishing it had been less than 20+ years or so since I read the book. Definitely needs a second watch and I’ve been trying not to read too many reviews since watching it as there’s a lot to think about. Closing credits sequence is a joy.

Aftersun is up on MUBI today – saw it at the cinema last night, really great. If you like any of Lynne Ramsay’s films, there’s a good chance you’ll really like this.

nickc

White Noise on Netflix?

I’ve read the book, and I remember at the time thinking it was an incoherent mess, watched the first 20 mins of it on Netflix before muttering “This is an incoherent mess” and turning it off. At least it’s faithful to the book?

Netflix as released a few documentaries; Misha and the Wolves is watchable, although you can see the point of the film coming a mile off, The Carlos Ghosn one is predictable, but the Bernie Madoff  series is genuinely a fascinating insight into his scam.

kilo

Mystery Road, series 3 has started on BBC 4, first two were pretty good.

StuE
    Free Member

The Pale blue eye is worth a watch

jonjones262
    Free Member

I hope everyone is enjoying the wonderful Dance Monsters on Netflix? I worked on it 😁

Sadly didn’t get to meet Ashley Roberts in person, just drool from off stage

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I hope everyone is enjoying the wonderful Dance Monsters on Netflix? I worked on it

😂🙌👍

My son loves it! Pretty sure he’s watched it all the way through.

I’ve watched a bit with him. Can you explain what the judges see on the stage when they’re watching the performers?

EDIT: I’ll ask him if he has any questions.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Just finished watching Clark. Surprisingly funny for a Swedish program about a bank robber and drug trafficker 😁 Six parts, and yes, I think it is supposed to be funny.

desperatebicycle

kilo

Mystery Road, series 3 has started on BBC 4

It’s an “origins”, prequal type thing. Thought the start was really good.

started Kaleidoscope on Netflix – supposed to be able to watch the eps in any order… I just let Netflix decide. Watched a couple. Tries to be gritty, has some silliness, but very watchable.

Definitely going to give White Noise and Aftersun a go when I get a chance.

salad_dodger

In the early days of this thread, Deadlydarcy recommended Mystery Road which turned out to be fantastic. The prequel that started last night on BBC4 is equally excellent.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In the early days of this thread, Deadlydarcy recommended Mystery Road which turned out to be fantastic. The prequel that started last night on BBC4 is equally excellent.

I remember recommending it now, yes. A bit of Aussie Noir. It was a cracking movie. I’d read people recommending Mystery Road on B4 – didn’t realise it was a prequel. So will catch that for sure. Cheers. 👍

kilo

It’s an “origins”, prequal type thing. Thought the start was really good

Yes I was a bit worried about that in case it was just them flogging a cash cow as I am a big fan of the first two series but, only able to see the first episode, it was pretty much up to standard. Mystery Road is definitely not sponsored by the Australian tourist board!

If you like Aussie noire I can highly recommend the books of Gary Disher and Chris Hammer

metalheart
    Free Member

Alchemy of Souls (Part 2) just finished today.

An everyday tale of soul shifters 🙃. In hanboks (obvs). Looks stunning pretty much all the time.

Enjoy it a lot, k-dramas quite often get ‘lost’ in the last couple of episodes (overly moralising, sometimes propaganda-ist) but this managed to tread the line pretty well (even though you know its going to have a happy ending despite it all).

Also; re-watched Thirty, nine about three (female) friends (aged, <spoiler alert>39</spoiler alert>) and what happens when one of them gets diagnosed with stage 4 cancer… very powerful, many tears.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,761 through 2,800 (of 3,891 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.