Viewing 40 posts - 2,721 through 2,760 (of 3,913 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • chakaping
    Free Member

@chakaping Did you watch the short film showing the behind the scenes/making of Pinocchio?
    Very good and the detail/mechanics of some of the models are incredible.

I showed my lad a clip from it that popped up on social media, but I’ll watch the short over Xmas.

Stunning seeing the time lapse footage of it being shot.

nicko74

Didn’t know Another Round was on Netflix, have added it to my list as it’s one that sounded interesting when the reviews first came out

bensales
    Free Member

I binged The Recruit over the weekend

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81396545?s=i&trkid=13747225&vlang=en&clip=81645256

Good fun, first episode a touch weak but gets better. “Gen Z in the CIA”.

Have we had ‘Three Pines’ on Amazon yet?

I’ve really enjoyed it thus far, asked for the books for crimbo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Pines

metalheart
    Free Member

Did no-one else watch/enjoy Wednesday? And not just the Cramps Goo Goo Muck dance scene.

Alchemy of Souls Part 2 is now 4 episodes in… I miss Mu-Deok but I’m definitely back in the zone for AoS… definitely hating the new episodes released Saturday/Sunday’s only…

Picked up on Stranger (I’m a Bae DooNa fan). Really enjoyed season 1, not sure I can get into season 2 though. Fighting corruption in the Prosecution Service (S. Korea).

zilog6128

Did no-one else watch/enjoy Wednesday?

watched the first episode & enjoyed it, will probably go back for more but tbh there’s so much good telly now or other stuff I want to give a watch it’s a fair way down the list! Currently ploughing my way through Deadwood actually which I missed first time round.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bit of a left-field one, but while searching for an Irish thing that a friend had recommended, I happened upon a documentary made by RTÉ (Irish state broadcaster) called The Funeral Director. Pretty sure it’s only about 45 or 50 minutes but it follows a funeral director from rural-ish Ireland and is a warts-and-all (but in a gentle way) insight into what he does and some of the people he does it for. There are a few beautiful moments and insights into death and bereavement. I found it utterly charming and for any Irish forumites, or those with Irish connections, I can thoroughly recommend it.

myti
    Free Member

Has anyone watched Severance? Really something different and really out there. Very stylish. Leaves you guessing and thinking all the way through. Final 2 episodes were amazing and tense. Total cliff hanger ending so Season 2 hopefully. Didn’t recognise any of the actors apart from Christopher Walken.

Tried an episode of Wednesday. Very pretty but felt formulaic, like Harry Potter with an Adam’s Family skin on.

scuttler

Best TV of the year for me was definitely “The White Lotus” 2nd series. Never seen anything like it before. Was brill.

Series One pretty similar 🤪. Both excellent.

Someone mentioned an opioid crisis doc in which case Dope Sick on Disney totally worth a mention. A brilliant docu-drama.

thols2

Has anyone watched Severance? Really something different and really out there.

I rate it as one of the very best shows of the last few years.

Didn’t recognise any of the actors apart from Christopher Walken.

As in, you didn’t know who they were or their acting was so good, you didn’t recognize them? Adam Scott in particular was a standout for me, I’ve only seen him in comedies so this was impressive. John Turturro did his usual excellent work and Dichen Lachman was unrecognizable from Altered Carbon – I knew I’d seen her before, but couldn’t think where. Patricia Arquette also did a really great job.

tintim

Probably already mentioned….

“Against the Ice” is a great film, highly recommend.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13873302/

lucasshmucas

Severance is utterly, utterly brilliant.

dyna-ti

Watched ‘The Recruit’ Finale was an interesting twist. Recommended.

zilog6128

Been watching White Lotus, that is how you make a compelling tv show! Really hard not to just immediately start the next episode each time 😃 Arguably even better than S1.

hels
    Free Member

I watched a riveting documentary on Netflix at the weekend – The Volcano: Rescue from Whakaari. It is about the tourists caught in the eruption on a volcanic island (White Island is the colonial name) off the east coast of the north island of New Zealand. Lots of compelling footage and really quite sad outcomes for some of the people.

w00dster

Yeah watched the Volcano programme last night. Really interesting programme. Hard to imagine how horrific that must have been, the boat ride back across from the island must have been appalling.

chakaping
    Free Member

Will check that out cheers Hels.

Kuco

metalheart
    Free Member
    Did no-one else watch/enjoy Wednesday?

Yep thoroughly enjoyed it and hope they do a second series.

binners

I saw the trailer for that the other day. It looks really good.

Have you watched ‘The Rescue’ about rescuing the Thai lads from the flooded caves? It’s absolutely incredible! It’s on Disney+ and on National Geographic (via Sky)

sirromj

Also a fan of Severance. Had forgotten about it though.

Anyone who’s watched White Lotus, have any of you also watched Nine Perfect Strangers with Nicole Kidman? I really enjoyed it… Are they sufficiently different from each other?

Also really enjoyed the Peripheral (there’s a STW thread).

binners

If you enjoyed Nine Perfect Strangers then White Lotus will be right up your strasse

Both series are excellent, though quite different.

myti
    Free Member

As in, you didn’t know who they were or their acting was so good, you didn’t recognize them?

Ah apologies I actually thought it was a recent show as it wasn’t on my radar at all and a friend shared it with me.

I didn’t think I knew any of the other actors but now you say Patricia Arquette…of course!!! She was brilliant. I did watch altered carbon but don’t remember it well at all apart from the main dude.

Glad to hear others thought it was great as the other half was so so about it but I absolutely loved it. So nice to watch something utterly different and the title sequence is just gorgeous.

johnners
    Free Member

Have you watched ‘The Rescue’ about rescuing the Thai lads from the flooded caves? It’s absolutely incredible!

Yeah. I recommended it a few pages back, it’s absolutely gripping. 13 Lives, the Ron Howard semi-fictional account of the same thing is also good, though tbh it doesn’t add much except allowing for dialogue and some dramatised diving sequences.

desperatebicycle

zilog6128

Been watching White Lotus, that is how you make a compelling tv show! Really hard not to just immediately start the next episode each time 😃 Arguably even better than S1.

No argument – S2 was better 🙂

zilog6128

Finally got around to watching The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (Prime). Really fun movie. Nic Cage is back! Not that he ever went anywhere 😀 Pedro Pascal is great, too.

Also watched the first ep of S3 of Jack Ryan, which I had hopes for despite being underwhelmed by S2 (S1 was great IMO). Really poor, just one cliche after another (the bad guys have a nuke, what an original plot 😂) and the fish-out-of-water JR character from the first season has now fully morphed into a Jason Bourne-esque supersoldier so it could just be any generic, badly plotted action thriller really.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Dichen Lachman was unrecognizable from Altered Carbon – I knew I’d seen her before, but couldn’t think where.

I really remember her from Dollhouse and Last Resort.

desperatebicycle

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

Tried to watch that. Just found it really stupid and annoying. Abandoned after about 40 mins

nickc

The Glass Onion: A knives Out Mystery is on Netflix if you missed it in the cinema. 2 hours of fabulousness in total homage to the Peter Ustinov “Hercule Poirot” movies  of the 70’s.

tenfoot

We watched The Banshees of Inisherin, on Disney + this week. Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson acting together a la In Bruges. Great little film.

Just watched episodes 1 & 2 of The White Lotus. Currently living up to the hype.

We also watched The Swimmers during the week, on Netflix. A lovely real story.

I liked Knives Out: Glass Onion too.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The Witcher: Blood origin
    A sweary, violent and funny precursor to the Witcher in just 4 episodes.
    Really good first episode and I reckon I’ll binge the rest today.

dudeofdoom

I’ve been watching Elite in Spanish (I think they dub it for English)as it’s absolutely bonkers and I like the accents.

It’s about some poor kids in a rich kid school but I’d say everything’s dialled up to 11 as opposed to the U.K./US fare, they do seem to like their drams.

Probably not you usual STW fare but although it’s well bonkers there’s some good little twists in it and you pick up some good Spanish stuff that isn’t in duolingo 🙂

Although I’m not sure I’ll ever be in the position to use such quality Spanish phrases of j offing in your mates bed !!!

CheesybeanZ

Dichen Lachman was unrecognizable from Altered Carbon – I knew I’d seen her before, but couldn’t think where

She was in Animal kingdom if I remember correctly.

mrsheen
    Free Member

chakaping
    Free Member

Really enjoyed Glass Onion.

Even better than the first movie IMO.

Loved his wardrobe, particularly this deckchair-inspired ensemble…

binners

We watched Glass Onion last night and absolutely loved it. Very clever and funny. Trying to keep tabs on what’s a parody of what and who is a parody of who is all good fun

sirromj

That’s ^^^ probably why I didn’t enjoy it that much, it felt like that kind of film, but if you don’t know most of the references it’s not so good. Interesting to see Philip Guston paintings on the wall, and another i’d forgotten, reminded me of my student days. Unbearable weight gave us a few more laughs. White Lotus – nobody mentioned the music! Starting to grate despite liking it 1st time I heard it.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Just finished The Traitors on iPlayer. I’m not particularly a reality show fan but thought this was really good. Always guessing as to how it’s going to pan out.

fasthaggis

Mrs FH was recommended Traitors,after a couple of episodes she said “You have to watch this” ,so I did catch up and we were hooked 😆 🤣
    It’s like a cross between The Aprentice and early Big Brothers.
    I have been great at reading the room, I am a part time magician 😂

mahalo

not got the superlatives to do White Lotus justice!! easily my favourite show ever

Traitors, not so keen. The bit at the round table was alright, and the little breakout gossip sessions – but too much filler on the whole. had zero interest in the tasks and all that nonsense. and didnt really enjoy the breakfast room ‘reveal’ format.

i will watch the knives out films and Pinocchio next…

binners

Not Netflix but we’ve just watched Mayflies on iplayer

It is one of the most powerful pieces of television I’ve ever watched. It’s challenging stuff and if you make it through without it getting dusty in the room then you’ll be doing better than me.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,721 through 2,760 (of 3,913 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.