Search the forum using the power of Google

• This topic has 2,834 replies, 428 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 2,835 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • binners

I’m just watching TraumaZone. Absolutely mesmeric because of the absence of narration and all the usual Adam Curtis bells and whistles.

It’s just brilliantly put together. An absolute must watch

thols2
    Free Member

New series of the White Lotus (sky atlantic) off to a very promising start. Some brilliant characters.

Just watched Ep 1. Season 1 is a tough act to follow, but another great cast, looks promising.

dyna-ti

I’m just watching TraumaZone.

Added.

After watching SAS thing on BBC i player im watching some comedy called Ghosts. Turning into a 3 episode binge per night.

I’m not normally one for sitcoms, but this is ok.

chakaping
    Free Member

Finished Industry S2 on iPlayer.

Good overall, impressive levels of sex & drugs still, some interesting plotlines and great performances.

Just don’t think the central plotline was too convincing in the final episodes. Possibly as the main character isn’t very interesting, compared to the supporting cast.

DrJ

Binged “Deadwind on Netflix – Finnish police drama, more or less implausible but I like the stark beautiful landscapes. And the beautiful cop of course. Finland seems to have even fewer actors than, say, Denmark, so it’s a constant battle to remember what role the person is playing in this one.

As above – TraumaZone. A useful guide to what we’re sleepwalking into in the UK.

fasthaggis

Disney –>> Andor and The Old Man still holding my attention.
    Netflix –>> Tried one of del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities (The Autopsy) ,very good 👍

Yak

Just done seasons 1 and 2 of Deadwind. Luckily just in time for season 3 to drop.
    Yeah, lots of really implausible bits, but hey stark landscape and reckless cops….

binners

We went to the preview screening of the new BBC Hacienda documentary last night. Bumped into a few old mates and we all felt very old.

It’s very good. Someone at the BBC found a load of archive footage. The stuff from the Flesh nights is particularly good, though I’m amazed it was broadcastable. It was utter debauchery! Nice to see a lot of the less usual talking heads

It’s on BBC2 on Saturday night and then on iplayer. We’ll worth a viewing

vazaha

For those that experienced TraumaZone, Putin, Russia, and the West picks up the story pretty much exactly where it ended.

More conventional as a story-telling exercise, pretty heavyweight contributors, also worth a watch.

sirromj

I kept seeing Archive 81 pop up so watched it. There’s a slow build over the first couple of episodes but picks up. Overall it’s not gorey, has a couple of jumpy bits. Enjoyed the art/occult connections. Maybe a bit x-files influenced. The 2nd series has been cancelled but for me the ending works as the end of a self contained series. 4*

And Everything Everwhere All at Once. Excellent! 4.5* Need more of this in the world.

dyna-ti

If not previously mentioned. The Trial of the Chicago 7.

I just thought I’d take a brief look see how it was going to pan out… and now it’s looking like I’m not going to get to bed before 4am.

Bloody excellent. Quite the ensemble cast.

vazaha

Season 13 Archer now on Netflix.

Babou cameo appearance.

dyna-ti

For those that experienced TraumaZone, Putin, Russia, and the West picks up the story pretty much exactly where it ended.

More conventional as a story-telling exercise, pretty heavyweight contributors, also worth a watch.

It’s certainly very eyeopening and upsetting to watch.

I witnessed the system of orphanages and medical gulags as they were called in Romania, that came about from the communist system and ended up on a psychiatric ward myself due to the traumatic pressure of it all. But life was just as bad for the every day Russian,Ukrainian or Romanian public forced to live in such a corrupt and heartless system of government.

The more Russian super rich oligarchs i hear falling out of high buildings the better I feel.

But to stay on track. Been watching the German thriller 1899. Typical German mystery combining period drama and modern sifi. Worth a watch.

Now, about our own super rich oligarchs….

StuF

I’d recommend The Swimmers, think it was on prime. Quite a difficult watch for the first 3/4 of the film.

qwerty
    Free Member

BBC Hacienda documentary

I find this quite ironic as back in the day the BBC had a ban on some dance music on their playlists. And now they promote it.

binners

But to stay on track. Been watching the German thriller 1899. Typical German mystery combining period drama and modern sifi. Worth a watch

It’s absolutely bonkers, but very enjoyable nonsense

Kryton57

I enjoyed 1899. I found the first 5 episodes quite gripping.

BikePawl
    Free Member

For those that enjoyed Dark, 1899 as recommended above is a good watch as it’s by the same team.
    Watched the film Troll last night a thoroughly enjoyable morning monster romp as good as Troll hunter

richardkennerley

I’d recommend The Swimmers, think it was on prime. Quite a difficult watch for the first 3/4 of the film.

+1 for that. Watched it last night. The little clip on Netflix doesn’t really give you a true idea of what the film actually covers.

timba
    Free Member

I’d recommend The Swimmers…

Watched that on Netflix this week. Excellent

The Two Popes is good family viewing as well, although I kept expecting Anthony Hopkins to offer Jonathan Pryce some fava beans and a nice Chianti

DrJ

Scandi-noir lovers – a new Icelandic series, Entrapped, sequel to Trapped – usual elements of misery, bad weather, stunning scenery.

fasthaggis

If you haven’t seen it yet…Pinocchio (Guillermo del toro) a fantastic piece of work.
    If you have seen it,check out the short film (also on Netflix)of how they put it all together,with some great detail on the workings of those amazing models.
    I may have to watch it again tonight.

misteralz
    Free Member

The Adam Project on Netflix. Fair warning, if you’ve a troubled relationship with or a just plain absent father, it’ll destroy you. Segueing into the start of Archer series 13 was needed and appreciated!

winston

Watched the first 3 episodes of 1899 and not very impressed – I love ships, sci fi, languages and mystery so I thought it would be right up my street but it just seems lacking in believable characters though the main woman is quite good and its sooooo sloooooow Does it get any better?

On the opposite side of the spectrum, just rewatched both series of Russian Doll  as my wife hadn’t seen them – I was blown away the first time and even on a second watch it was great as I caught all the little details I missed the first time round. Script is superb and the visuals/cinematography blow 1899 out of the water so to speak

chakaping
    Free Member

Enjoyed Hustle on Netflix, drama with Adam Sandler playing a basketball scout.

zilog6128

Don’t know if it’s been discussed yet but I took out the free trial of Paramount+ to watch Halo & King of Tulsa.

Used to play a lot of Halo 1 /2 BITD so there’s a fair amount of nostalgia there, it looks good & the battles are great (although I don’t know if they’d really of any interest to someone who’d never played the games!) but the whole thing is like it’s been executive-produced by a 15-year old boy – it’s just terrible 😂 Didn’t even make it through the first episode in one sitting.

King of Tulsa on the other hand I thought was excellent, ended up binge-watching 4 episodes (there are only 5 at the moment!) Stallone is great although it kind of pinballs between being fairly serious, and faintly ridiculous! He looks incredible for a 75-year-old, and he’s striding around punching people out left and right like a man 20 years younger or more. Maybe he’s still that tough IRL? Dunno, it kind of seems like it requires some suspension of disbelief though 🤷‍♂️ Either way, really enjoying it!

Looks like there’s a few other interesting shows on P+ so will probably keep it for a few months, at least until the end of S1 of KoT!

Cougar

This looks like it could be interesting.

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80992058

The USP is that it’s a story arc where you can watch the episodes in any order for a “unique immersive experience” (but I think the first and last may be fixed?)

zilog6128

@Cougar yeah that sounds pretty cool.

(of course, it’s been done. You can watch the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon in any order as long as you watch the first one first & the last one last, and it won’t affect the story arc 😃)

They should tweak their software so it automatically plays the episodes in a random order, and doesn’t tell you what numbers they are!

nicko74

Scandi-noir lovers – a new Icelandic series, Entrapped, sequel to Trapped – usual elements of misery, bad weather, stunning scenery.

Oooh, interesting! I’m just reading a review saying it’s a bit baws compared to Trapped though – what did you think of it?

Apparently Wisting S2 is available on iplayer, so will be checking that out too

DrJ

Entrapped – I thought it was good. Not classic, but worth watching!!

Cougar

(of course, it’s been done. You can watch the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon in any order as long as you watch the first one first & the last one last, and it won’t affect the story arc 😃)

Well, kinda. D&D wasn’t really an arc, they were all standalone episodes. There wasn’t a last episode, it was written but never filmed (the script is called “Requiem” and you can find it online).

They should tweak their software so it automatically plays the episodes in a random order, and doesn’t tell you what numbers they are!

As far as I’m aware, that’s exactly what it does. There aren’t episode numbers, just names.

Netflix has previous here, Love Death + Robots does the same (as I found when it lost my viewing history and I was trying to work out where I was up to…)

winston

That reminded me – nothing to do with the above except that there is a BBC mini series called Requiem that was on a few years ago which is on Netflix. Its not bad and its a pity they didn’t do a second season

chakaping
    Free Member

Another Round and Guillermo’s Pinnochio, both on Netflix now and both excellent.

Warning: it gets very dusty at the end of Pinnochio.

frankconway

Surely the only answer is to binge watch harry and meghan…

binners

I watched a fascinating and terrifying documentary the other day on Netflix about the opioid epidemic in North America. Well worth a viewing as it was pointed out in the doc that whats happening there now will soon be getting a grip in the UK next. Fentanyl overdoses are now the biggest cause of death in people under the age of 50 in the states

Ten Dollar Death Trip

Ignore the somewhat overdramatic title (why do TV companies do that?). Its actually a very well made and sensitively handled programme

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

frankconway
    Surely the only answer is to binge watch harry and meghan…

I saw on Russell Howard (I had to turn it off) that this was all over the news??? I mean, who watches that shit (apart from people who want to make hilarious satirical comedy shows with easy targets)

I watched “Good Night Oppy” on Prime, which would have been a fascinating documentary about the Mars rovers… if not for the Americans… they really ruined it by just being so American. Some of the science was still fascinating though.

Best TV of the year for me was definitely “The White Lotus” 2nd series. Never seen anything like it before. Was brill.

fasthaggis

@chakaping Did you watch the short film showing the behind the scenes/making of Pinocchio?
    Very good and the detail/mechanics of some of the models are incredible.

binners

Best TV of the year for me was definitely “The White Lotus” 2nd series. Never seen anything like it before. Was brill.

Both series of White Lotus have been absolutely superb!

Another one of the years TV highlights was Big Boys on Channel 4. Absolutely beautifully written and acted while being very, very funny

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Oh yeah – Big Boys was great! The guy who played Danny does stand up comedy too. He’s bloody funny. “Am I right?!!”

johnx2
    Free Member

Best TV of the year for me was definitely “The White Lotus” 2nd series.

totally. And would have been even if the last series of Succession had been this year not last (they blur).

Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 2,835 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.