Search the forum using the power of Google

• This topic has 2,834 replies, 428 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,641 through 2,680 (of 2,835 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • metcalt

Watched Onboard the Transcontinental Race last night and enjoyed it, some stunning scenery and good interviews with the riders, you can definitely see the toll riding for that long with not enough sleep takes on them!

TiRed

We too watched The Stranger the other night. Australian film presented at Cannes FF 2022. Was very good but you might need subtitles (it’s quiet). Much prefer a film to a series, no binge watching and ideally, crisp editing to tell a story.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-reviews/the-stranger-cannes-2022-1235152013/

scud

Has anyone watched Dark on Netflix? I’ve only just started, but IMDB reviews are nearly all 10/10 and it runs for 3 seasons, so hoping it will be another great watch (mourning end of Better Call Soul!)? Described as a cross between Stranger Things and Twin Peaks…

woody2000

Dark is a tough watch IMO.  Worth it, but you may find yourself going back or rewatching bits – it’s a tricky, interwoven & pretty abstruse storyline.  Best watched with subtitles, not dubbed.

scud

Thanks Woody, i started watching with the dub and it was awful, so switched to the subtitles pretty quickly, it seems pretty good so far, so will persevere

monkeyboyjc

Currently watching the second series of Barbarian – German historical drama on the Roman invasion of Germany. No idea how accurate it is, but it’s cirtainly good entertainment.

wordnumb
    Free Member

One Cut of the Dead is up on C4. Stupidly good film.

Merak
    Free Member

Anyone watched All quiet on the Western front yet?

kimbers

Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Is on Prime

And its glorious, possibly my favourite film I’ve seen all year

Kung Fu Wtf GIF by A24 - Find & Share on GIPHY

Just finished Rings of Power, as a big Tolkien geek I was sceptical, but found myself really enjoying it, certainly way better that the Hobbit films!!

thols2
    Free Member

Is on Prime

I have no idea what it was about, but it was brilliant.

w00dster

Yeah Everything Everywhere is very good. Surreal and Bizarre, almost like a 2 hour Vic and Bob sketch.

I had absolutely no idea what was happening, but it was good fun.

Completely different mood, The Vow on Sky. About the Nxivm people, worth watching, but the people involved all happened to be film makers / actors / documentarians, so it’s 4 hours of TV “crammed”into 12 hours.

roger_mellie

The Peripheral on Amazon prime is really good

Yeah, quite enjoying this. Apart from the worst cock-er-nee accent since Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins 🙂

Not sure whether to bother continuing with Homecoming S1 (Julia Roberts on Prime).

sadexpunk

The Call-in is very good on ITV hub, we just finished it last night. a stephen graham 5-part true story about a lad in a racist group around the time of the Jo Cox murder. and obviously being SG its quite tense, and far from being a barrel of laughs.

trailmonkey

The Courier with Benedict Cumberbatch is very good on Netflix.
    Also on Netflix, The Secret with James Nesbitt is a great watch.
    As above, The Walk In with Stephen Graham on ITV hub is very well done.
    Trauma on iPlayer but I think that’s an acquired taste if you like Adam Curtis.

StuE

Some good stuff on Paramount+, 1883 is very good and enjoying American gigolo the series

prettygreenparrot

The Peripheral on Amazon prime is really good

so far it’s been good. Hoping it continues that way.

Accents get thrown all over the place. Rings of power for example – rarely the same accent twice😏. That a London accent gets mangled on its way to 2099 might be an excuse? But ties! In 2099! Surely they’d be back to ruffs or wigs or something?

nickc

Has anyone watched Dark

Yep, It’s great, when you start drawing time lines on a A4 pad as you’re watching, you know they’ve got you hooked. They do seem to have a need to spend time tying up it’s loose ends and McGuffins in very neat bows, which is either charming or annoying depending on your tolerance for that sort of stuff, and the third series does have a tendency for the characters to have lengthy conversations made up entirely of philosophical quotations.

BUT, in scope, in ambition, it’s first class, and for a time travelling concept that  has both a compelling story, and totally makes sense within it’s own universe:10/10

toby1

Has anyone watched Dark on Netflix?

Also yes, also would recommend, really enjoyed it, despite getting crossed over with the story at times. It’s incredibly well shot, located and musically it’s great too.

toby1

Anyone been through all of ‘All of us are dead’ Korean high school zombies? Less silly than it sounds with a pretty profound message about bullying and teen suicide, but also wonderfully gory and zombie laden.

dirkpitt74

Watched The Good Nurse last night – true story with Eddy Redmayne & Jessica Chastain, thought it was really good.

Coyote
    Free Member

Dark is a tough watch IMO. Worth it, but you may find yourself going back or rewatching bits – it’s a tricky, interwoven & pretty abstruse storyline. Best watched with subtitles, not dubbed.

This.

dyna-ti

Movie – All Quiet on the Western Front.

Latest version- released 28th Oct with Daniel Brühl

Original was released in 1930, then was the 1979 version with Richard Thomas and Ernest Borgnine. This is the latest and bloody good. Certainly worth a watch.

nickyboy36

I’d recommend All Quiet on the Western Front, new out on Netflix this weekend. Very powerful film. 8/10 IMO.

longdog
    Free Member

Yeh, The Good Nurse is definitely worth a watch. Watched it yesterday. I actually found it quite suspenseful.

Watched Song of The Raggy Boys the other day too. Another true story type film about a Catholic reform and industrial school in Ireland in the 30s. Very depressing and feeds well in to my dislike of such religious institutions.

I do like true story type films, and they’re often depressing, unlike my wife who prefers the likes of Frozen 🤣

sirromj

Not watched any Stewart Lee for a while, Snowflake & Tornado are up on iPlayer. Watched Snowflake last night. Very good. Very Stewart Lee. He’s let himself go a bit.

roger_mellie

That a London accent gets mangled on its way to 2099 might be an excuse? But ties! In 2099! Surely they’d be back to ruffs or wigs or something?

😄

eddiebaby

Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities
    Only watched the first one (of eight) and I loved it.
    Very dark, good suspense and suitably gory.
    It was Guillermo’s own episode and had a definite Hellboy feel at the end. That’s the week’s viewing sorted.

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Came here to say The Peripheral. Saw Everything Everywhere Tryhardto BeFunny mentioned, hated it. Got to the End. The false one. Gave up.

nicko74

Is on Prime

Really enjoyed it, thought it was pretty clever, especially how it just boils down to a woman freaking out about losing her daughter.
    Also, Raccacoonie!!

captain_bastard

I’d recommend All Quiet on the Western Front, new out on Netflix this weekend. Very powerful film. 8/10 IMO.

Really good, no great, film. Best thing I’ve seen on Netflix for ages

nuke

First episode of SAS Rogue Heros showed good promise (Not Netflix but BBC although think the whole series is on iPlayer)

Another vote for The Peripheral…not a huge fan of time travel/multi dimension type of plots but we’ve enjoyed the first 3 episodes (dodgy accents aside)

sc-xc

Just watched the Devil’s Hour (didn’t enjoy, found the acting a bit wooden and couldn’t really follow story).

Really liked the new series of Gangs of London on Atlantic (excellent) and Pistol on Disney (interesting).

Also watched ‘the watcher’ which I enjoyed but was a bit daft towards the end.

muddy@rseguy

Ive been trying to avoid watching the Peripheral because I loved the book (and the sort-of sequel, Agency) and don’t want to get angry/disappointed at a potentially duff translation onto TV but might give it a go this week.

I actual rather enjoyed the Midnight Club on Netflix, nowhere near as good as the Haunting of Hill House but still entertaining. Guillermo Del Torro’s Cabinet of Curiosities looks fun so thats the Halloween viewing (hopefully) sorted.

AD

The Peripheral is definitely worth a look. I thought the book would be impossible to film but the screen writer (s) have tweaked the story a bit but kept the concept brilliantly. At least as far as episode 4 anyway 😃

Kuco

Also watching Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities, enjoying it so far.

Houns

Glad I’m not the only one to be disappointed by Devils Hour. If anyone wants to watch it just watch the final ep.

bfw

Dahmer thing, not sure if it was on Netflix

llama

Having had some recent sick leave:

Cabinet of curiosities: a couple of duds but otherwise ok

Finished HotD (finally): liked. Slow burner. Sets up season 2 well. Better than the the elves/hobbits

Devils hour. On ep 4. I like it. Smells like a BBC drama, not sure why it’s on Prime. It’s a bit turn-the-handle-timey-spooky but I would say the acting is not the worse thing about it.

Also watched the recent Thor one, something something vampires with Snoop Dogg in it, (edit) and the latest bond. Don’t bother with these unless you are 14 or on prescription painkillers.

Think it’s the peripheral next

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

New series of the White Lotus (sky atlantic) off to a very promising start. Some brilliant characters.

vazaha

I think that this has become something of a generic ‘what can you watch’ somewhere, rather that a specific Netflix thing, and it has probably been mentioned before, but TraumaZone Russia 1985-1999 is essential viewing.

Quite unlike previous Adam Curtis stuff – no VoiceOver, no Musac – just video and subtitles.

Also, Series Three of Harley Quinn is on All4.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,641 through 2,680 (of 2,835 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.