• This topic has 3,830 replies, 498 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by ossify.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 3,831 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • fingerbang
    Free Member

The Tourist was cack and may be the last straw in my indulgence of British 6-part mini-series. What’s gone wrong?

for me the true nadir of BBC drama was ‘McMafia’, it was a weird set up where all these renowned actors suddenly and simultaneously forgot how to act. You end up watching these shithouses til the bitter end as they tend to be 6 episodes though

avdave2

I’m actually quite enjoying The Tourist even if it makes me think of Twin Peaks written, acted and directed by people with no talent whatsoever. It was so obviously stupid right from the off that I’ve not had that usual thing of watching one episode and then slowly realising I was wasting my life as episode by episode it got worse.

TiRed

Realising it’s not 100% serious really helps enjoy it.

It wasn’t?

Finished The Tourist – the star of the show is definitely the scenery. Has a wow factor on the projector. I don’t do binge watching, but if I don’t watch it with Mrs TiRed I never get past the second or third episode. The important plot device was very poor.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PrinceJohn

My OH and I really enjoyed “Don’t look up”… interesting to see how the President (female trump enyone!!!) and everyone was a bit ‘anti science’…
    Proper good. Realising it’s not 100% serious realy helps enjoy it.

I thought it was deadly serious. the asteroid being a metaphor for climate change.

franksinatra

What do others think of the Power of the Dog?

We gave up and stopped watching it after about 90mins, both of us thought is was really boring. Scenery was magnificent but it was just dull. It looks like every review in the world loved it, can we be that wrong?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I watched the whole of ‘Stay Close’ over the weekend.

IMHO it’s really ‘watchable’ but the story is a terrible mess of plot holes, implausible scenes and disposable characters who only exist to smash a round peg into a square hole to, sort of, make it work.

You might find yourself, 5 or 6 episodes thinking “there’s no way they’ll be able to tie all this together in the end” and you’d be right.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I watched the big short the other day, really good.

I liked that, I remember the real life versions of the characters being dragged over the coals in 2008 for profiting from it all.

It’s also worth seeing ‘Margin Call’ if you like the subject, it shows it from the other side of the banking coin.

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

I mentioned it somewhere up the thread. Loved it. Read a good review where they loved the film and the story but spent the whole time wondering who would’ve been better in the Benedict Cumberbatch role 🙂 I’m not a fan, but thought he was decent enough.

fingerbang
    Free Member

We gave up and stopped watching it after about 90mins, both of us thought is was really boring. Scenery was magnificent but it was just dull. It looks like every review in the world loved it, can we be that wrong?

I was the same, really bored. but then I felt stupid as all the critics are frothing over it. I didn’t get all the nuances and the deep essay on masculinity , or whatevs

I watched until the end just out of curiosity and also cos my mate was watching at the same time and we were texting each other how boring it was. Very disappointed, but more in my own failings as an appreciator of art

I realise that I should just gone and watch a guy ritchie film. I can’t seem to do high brow. I blame sosh media and/or the internet

binners

All of a sudden….

NOTHING HAPPENED!!

It did confirm my usual film review criteria, which I foolishly ignored on this occasion:

If the Guardian give it 5 stars, under no circumstances watch it. It’ll be hours of your life you’ll never get back.

I won’t repeat the comment Mrs Binners made as the end credits rolled as it’d almost certainly get me a ban. It was a very funny summary though

nickc

I thought it was very good. makes a nice change to watch a film that upends your expectations about who the protagonists are, what they want, what they’re hiding and why, and just goes it’s own sweet way regardless. Very well observed performances.

swavis

Whoever recommended “Wayne” on Amazon prime, thank you, it’s brilliant! 😀

Cougar

The Tourist was cack and may be the last straw in my indulgence of British 6-part mini-series. What’s gone wrong?

It’s iPlayer rather than Netflix, but we enjoyed the recent Around The World In 80 Days with that there David Tennant. If you accept that Jules Verne took to physics like a duck to petrol then it’s a lot of fun.

argee

Getting disappointed by the past season of the expanse, just so much open and so little happening each episode, Amazon should really know to release it all in one drop, they don’t even really promote it, had to use search last week to get the new episode!

franksinatra

Series 2 of The Great is now on Prime*. Brilliant stuff.

*Its actually on a weird sub channel called Starzplay that you subscribe to through Prime. 7 day free trial though so you can binge on The Great then cancel it.

DrP

RE Don’t look up…I thought it was deadly serious. the asteroid being a metaphor for climate change.

I think the message is serious, yeah… but the film is a bit tongue in cheek.. Which then HELPS the serious message..
    Like… the bit about charging for snacks, and always coming back to that – that was funny, right?! It’s like the film is 18% comedy… which was good!

Oh, Jonah Hill…fab! “thanks for dressing up”..”Boy with the dragon tattoo” etc!

DrP

andrewreay

I thank you!

It is. Just doesn’t seem to get the attention it deserves.

I’ll big up WAYNE again.

WAYNE
    WAYNE
    WAYNE

timmys

Series 2 of The Great is now on Prime*. Brilliant stuff.

I can confirm that it is brilliant (though I got impatient and obtained it ‘elsewhere’, which I haven’t had to do for years – but I finally hit a limit on the number of subscriptions I am willing to sign up for).

mattyfez

@FuzzyWuzzy

How the frick did dragging out not taking ‘the event’ seriously become an entire movie?

Because the film is about disfunctional populist governments. The Comet is just the backdrop. It could quite easily be replaced with aliens, an asteroid, climate crisis, a plague or some other thing.

binners

The new series of Afterlife is about to land on Netflix

The first two series were brilliant

wonnyj
    Free Member

Somos on netflix is the most powerful and intense thing I’ve seen in a few years. I’m still processing it a week later. Not cheerful but weirdly beautiful.

Now onto the tourist, which is light hearted spraff in comparison, only made bearable by occasional laughs and lead actors chemistry.

Both of them heavily influenced by Fargo. Somos nailing it in terms of horror and epic scenery, while The Tourist doesn’t measure up.

swavis

andrewreay

I thank you!

It is. Just doesn’t seem to get the attention it deserves.

Absolutely, it’s similar to “End of the **** world” but funnier

avdave2

Last thing I saw Benedict Cumberbatch in was the Hollow Crown playing Richard III. I have to agree with the critics on The Power of the Dog, in his new cowboy suit he looked great and it’s a brilliant film. I feel sorry for those of you who couldn’t see it, must be fools.

hooli

The new series of Afterlife is about to land on Netflix

Really looking forward to it, I enjoyed the first 2 and I cant stand Ricky normally.

I watched the whole of ‘Stay Close’ over the weekend.

IMHO it’s really ‘watchable’ but the story is a terrible mess of plot holes, implausible scenes and disposable characters who only exist to smash a round peg into a square hole to, sort of, make it work.

You might find yourself, 5 or 6 episodes thinking “there’s no way they’ll be able to tie all this together in the end” and you’d be right.

That is also a very good summary, I finished it last night and the only reason I kept watching was because I had no idea how they would tie all those loose ends up in the final episode.

Some of it was really very poor. Even the kids tennis tournament, she was standing on concrete over the back of the grass to play. Surely they could spring for hiring an actual tennis court to film a tennis scene?

chakaping
    Free Member

I watched Wrath of Man on Prime last night.

More than passable as a Statham vehicle, but (without spoiler-ing) it could have done with a bit more explanation of a certain event toward the end.

dirkpitt74

We watched Unforgivable with Sandra Bullock the other night – that was pretty good.

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Funny, all this people having different tastes. I guess because our “forum fwends” aren’t people we’d actually make friends with, we see more of it these days.
    Bloke I work with, I’d never be friends with, keeps recommending me stuff and there’s none of it I’d choose to watch. And with good reason – it’s all awful! Latest is that James Nesbitt thing mentioned somewhere previously. I just know I’ll hate it. And ‘Don’t Look Up’ – seems to divide opinion and I have a good idea which side I’ll be on. 😆

argee

Just watched Eternals on Disney+, dear god that was an awful marvel movie, made pretty much no sense in the marvel universe and even less sense to be happening as part of it.

I had read it was going to be bad, so waited until it hit TV, but i thought it would have been better than it was, i heard similar with Shang Chi, but enjoyed that and it actually worked all round, this one is two and a half hours of pointlessness.

thols2

Just watched Eternals on Disney+, dear god that was an awful marvel movie, made pretty much no sense in the marvel universe and even less sense to be happening as part of it.

You are clearly not an 11-year old child. My research (with an admittedly very small sample size) indicates that it is the greatest movie every made if you are a child.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I’m thoroughly enjoying the live action ‘Cowboy Bebop’ at the moment.

As the above suggests, its a live action version of an Anime series, which I haven’t seen.

Script is basic and a bit cheesy, I guess an attempt to retain the feel of a graphic novel / anime, but characters are great fun cartoon style characters. The soundtrack and photography however are both awesome. Some beautiful shots design to look like graphic novel panels but done equally as good, if not better as Sin City IMO.

Chewing gum for the mind with great aesthetic.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Going to watch Eternals tonight. Expectations are low however.

Poopscoop

I love my SF but I’m upto episode 8 in The Silent Sea and I’m done with it.

I’m just finding it totally unengaging. Can’t really pin it down to any one thing but I keep finding myself picking up my mobile to look on STW or whatever. I just don’t do that during the series I like.

Guess its just not for me. Gutted, as I desperately need a meaty SF series to get into as all the ones I watch are coming to an end.😟

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ve not followed this thread fully but having started Marvelous Mrs Maisel on Amazon a week ago surprised not to have seen it on here. It has so much potential to be cheesy AF but is actually just perfect, constantly funny on several levels and absolutely hilarious at times

kilo

We watched Blackfish on Netflix last night, just browsing for any old guff and pressed play, thought it would just rubbish but a very interesting and exceptionally sad film about something which is really quite horrific and we had no knowledge of.

nickc

Going to watch Eternals tonight. Expectations are low however.

I use films like this as visual entertainment when I’m on the Turbo, something low brow that doesn’t require concentration, has explode-y things, nice to look at and a plot so thin I don’t have to think about it.

I watched about 20 mins of this guff, stopped my session (I never do this) and switched to something else….

mahalo

I’ve not followed this thread fully but having started Marvelous Mrs Maisel on Amazon a week ago surprised not to have seen it on here. It has so much potential to be cheesy AF but is actually just perfect, constantly funny on several levels and absolutely hilarious at time

gets her tits out n the first episode then you sit through three whole seasons waiting to see em again!

chakaping
    Free Member

Marvelous Mrs Maisel on Amazon

I was recommended this by someone IRL recently, you just reminded me to give it a go, ta.

johnx2
    Free Member

I’ve bigged up Flemish trailer park drama (drugs/cops/robbers) Undercover on here before and season 3 is now on netflix. Looks like there won’t be line-dancing in this one, fortunately. Undercover – an unqualified netflix recommendation.

kilo

+1 for Undercover (although the dubbing is a bit meh!)

johnx2
    Free Member

^^^ you’ve got to do subtitles [for Netflix’ very good Undercover]. And Flemish is about as comprehensible as Geordie crossed with deep Brummie anyway (okay so not remotely, hence subtitles) with a fair proportion in English anyway “cut out ze middle man” (literally 🙂 )

Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 3,831 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.