Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 3,891 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • hols2
    Free Member

just started watching The Good place, 4 episodes in liking it a lot

Make sure you avoid spoilers. In the final episode it’s revealed how Eleanor ended up there, you really don’t want to ruin the show by reading spoilers.

chakaping
    Free Member

Watched Arrival instead of the Coen Bros movie last night.

Highly recommended, really thought-provoking and moving film. Catch it before it disappears again.

If you like The Good Place, check out Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Similar vibe and just as funny.

senorj

They’ve only gone and put series 3 of The Last Kingdom on – hurrah!…If it’s as enjoyable as the first two I’ll be happy. (no spoilers please as I’ve decided to binge watch the first two series again before starting it. Ha.)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Can’t read whole thread but in case not mentioned:

– Making a Murderer pt 2 is out.  The first was a jaw-dropping documentary. This is the aftermath/push for acquittal and is no less compelling.  Kathleen Zellner’s mind is as sharp as a knife.

– British Bakeoff.  All of ’em.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Anyone else seen 13 Reasons Why ? I thought the first series was really good, but it was the format that made it for me. One tape per episode to tell the story worked really well. Now Im into season two, and without that format its dragging a little.

rene59
    Free Member

Started The Kominsky Method. Only a few episodes in but it’s got potential. About a couple of elderly guys, one is an acting coach and one just lost his wife. Good cast, well written.

butcher

Making a Murderer pt 2 is out …  Kathleen Zellner’s mind is as sharp as a knife.

Started it really thinking I wasn’t going to like her, at all. But her obsessiveness and persistence is quite something.

Also started watching Mindhunter. Very good so far.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Watch Outlaw King at the weekend, it’s no Braveheart thank goodness.

It was filmed local to us, best bit was when Robert was crowned and they were having a bit of a soiree next to a Loch Linlithgow Loch). Cut to De Valance in his castle (Linlithgow Palace) saying he’ll need to go sort him out, he could have been there in 5 minutes if he had bothered looking over the battlements!

Good movie though.

toby1

The Sinner season 2 is compelling so far, 4 episodes in and going well. The Good place I’ve persisted with as it does improve a bit, but it’s still not great. The Haunting of Hill house, I’m intrigued as to where it’s going, thought it was getting quite metaphorical last episode I watched, looking forward to seeing how it pans out, have had to scrape my wife off the roof a couple of times though, they plan their surprises well.

Amazon have reduced the fire stick and I really want to watch American Gods so I’ve bought a stick, so my Netflix time may slump for a few weeks at least, I suspect Netflix is better overall though.

kcr
    Free Member

Outlaw King was a competently made film, authentic looking battle sequences, beautiful shots of sweeping scenery, even the accents were pretty good (I thought one of the dodgiest accents came from one of the few Scottish actors in the film!).

However, it was just lacking the magic ingredient somehow. The by the numbers historical drama didn’t really grip me, and it fizzles out a bit and ends just as Bruce’s campaign gets going. Maybe they were keeping the door open for Outlaw King II – The Road to Bannockburn, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

funkmasterp

They’ve only gone and put series 3 of The Last Kingdom on – hurrah!…If it’s as enjoyable as the first two I’ll be happy.

Another fan here. It’s like a more jolly version of Vikings.

jimster01

Another Last Kingdom fan here, yep binge watching series 1 & 2 again 🤗🤗

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Watched Calibre the other night. Good dark Scottish film. Worth a watch.

mahalo

Buster Scruggs tonight!! Sensational!

mahalo

Also watched the Operation Finale last night. Nowt to do wi the Italian EWS, it’s Ben Kingsley as Adolf Eichmann and his capture & extraction from Argentina after the war.

Stoner
    Free Member

have given up on Making  a Murderer 2 at ep3. Too much a personal vehicle for Kellner and over dramatised “discoveries”. And “cuddly” interviews with the Dassey and Avery familes. SO I cheated and read the wiki on where things have ended up, and despite legal process the US federal justice system is obviously still crooked and both are still banged-up.

on a similar subject, this ended up in my twitter feed* yesterday and it’s very funny and informative.

*Thanks Ben Kinetics, follow him on @bencooper, @KineticsGlasgow for interesting stuff.

Watched another episode of Ozark. Still enjoying it, especially the Snell storyline, but ****-me Marty’s daughter is way beyond needing taking out back with a shotgun!

FuzzyWuzzy

Ozark is OK, not finding it something I want to binge-watch though. Also agree on the kids, if I were Marty I’d have done a runner with the cash and left the family as payment…

Totally agree with KCR’s review of the Outlaw King to

July 22 was pretty poor to I thought, although not really sure what I was expecting given the events it’s about. It was just dull.

13thfloormonk

Almost want to watch Buster Scruggs again, although I was left curiously disappointed first time round it has also stuck with me, almost feels like an itch I need to scratch again. I was like that with Big Lebowski also, think I’m just a wee bit slow with some movies and sometimes miss the point first time round…

But in the meantime, having borrowed Sister-in-Laws Netflix login, I’ve found series 3 of Rick and Morty, hey-o!

mahalo

been playing loads of Red Dead Redemption 2 lately, took a break to watch Buster Scruggs – could hardly tell the difference!! theres even a fella called Arthur!!

martinhutch

I can understand that Buster Scruggs wouldn’t be for everyone. I don’t think there is an overarching point to the stories. Seemed like a good mix of macabre and light-hearted to me, with some lovely dialogue, and fantastic cinematography. Enjoyed all of them

PAN SHOT!

chamley
    Free Member

Following a recommendation from family in Australia we’ve been getting into Rake. It’s a black comedy drama about a barrister who’s a disaster, lots of swearing and boozing plus some really good guest actors. Hugo Weaving stars in the first episode as a cannibal. Lots of laugh out loud moments and theres plenty of episodes up if you happen to get into it

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

SO I cheated and read the wiki on where things have ended up, and…

decided to post spoiler?   In the future, the urban mythology of similar ‘outrage pron’ documentaries will reference your behaviour as ‘shock-blocking’ ☹️

Stoner
    Free Member

decided to post spoiler?

Gah! Quite right, hadnt thought of it like that. Report my post for swearing or adblocking or something and see if a Mod can redact!

muggomagic

Narcos Mexico is really good. If you enjoyed the original Narcos series then you’ll like this. It’s a spin off but there are some cameo appearances too.

sadexpunk

Following a recommendation from family in Australia we’ve been getting into Rake. It’s a black comedy drama about a barrister who’s a disaster, lots of swearing and boozing plus some really good guest actors. Hugo Weaving stars in the first episode as a cannibal. Lots of laugh out loud moments and theres plenty of episodes up if you happen to get into it

just started this last night after reading this recommendation and really enjoying it.  i can only think of describing it as a ‘californication-lite’.  a lot of similarities, not quite as much sex or laugh out loud moments, but still very good.

DezB
    Free Member

It was only the last section of Buster Scruggs that left me flat, the others were all superb. Especially the Tom Waits one. Wonderful.

Biggest shame was not seeing it on the big screen really, as it was all visually amazing.

honeybadgerx

I’ve just discovered Big Mouth, which I’m very much enjoying as a bung on whilst sat on the turbo or for light relief. Finally finished season 3 of Daredevil, which I enjoyed, but just isn’t quite grabbing me as much as it used too. I think the Punisher has spoiled me.

funkmasterp

Found out that the first series of Ash versus Evil Dead is on Netflix. One more episode to watch. It’s great, over the top b movie fun. A definite watch for fans of Bruce Campbell and the second and third Evil Dead movies.

muggomagic

Just finished “Happy”. Bloody loved that. Funny, violent and weird 😀

Drac

Did someone say Happy?

muggomagic

Yeah can’t wait for that.

Drac

New series of F is for Family is available.

FuzzyWuzzy

I can confirm The Silencer is dire

johnx2
    Free Member

the last section of Buster Scruggs that left me flat

…souls journeying to the afterlife united only by the randomness of their journeys and ignorance of what lies ahead? I thought it tied the preceding chapters together, adding nice dollop of Coen worldview.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Found this last night. The Endless. Its weird, its confusing, its original, its compelling.

footflaps

We’ve been working our way through Line of Duty on Netflix, flippin awesome series. The finale for Season 3 was a real edge of your seats show!

simmoz
    Free Member

Jack Ryan series on prime was great, nothing too deep but very bingeable.
    Tried ozark but found it quite boring. It’s a shame because I like the premise and really wanted it to be good.

Just started ‘the Americans’ which I cannot believe passed me by for six seasons. Couple episodes in and it’s Sooo good.

DezB
    Free Member

souls journeying to the afterlife united only by the randomness of their journeys and ignorance of what lies ahead?

Nope, I saw some people in a carriage, going to a big house.

Started watching the “Masterpiece” that is ROMA. Erm, I’ll have to pick up later, cos the first hour I found extremely boring. Best bit was a car tyre squidging some dog shit. I know there’s more engaging stuff to come, cos I’ve seen the stills, but a family cleaner just going about her business, for some reason I don’t find that riveting.

mahalo

I’ve not really given a shite about the footy for years but had a look at ‘Sunderland Till I Die’ tonight and was quickly locked into a full on binge!!

Incredible that the season unfolded the way it did while it was being documented!!

Fantastic stuff. TV gold!!

epicyclo

chamley
    Following a recommendation from family in Australia we’ve been getting into Rake.

My wife was a barrister in Oz. She loves it and follows every episode closely.

Reckons it’s based on true life, a composite of various characters in the Bar. From what I’ve seen of Australian barristers, I believe her. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 3,891 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.