Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 3,895 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • nickc

I love the Straight Story.

erictwinge
    Free Member

tried, tried and tried again to like WAYNE but just not feeling it.

finished Ozark now so im at loss what to watch next. absolutely wounded they removed The Americans from Prime…

woody2000

Wayne did nowt for me either really.  Liked the characters but somehow the story just fell flat for some reason.

Shazam! was good (Prime), enjoyed that with the kids at the weekend.  I’m really just waiting for the new series’ of  Stranger Things, Lost in Space and a few others now.

StuE
    Free Member

Mare of Easttown on Now tv/Sky is very good also Save me too,other half is enjoying the Leonardo di Vinci thing on Amazon but I can’t get into ir

chakaping
    Free Member

I am two episodes into This Is A Robbery on NF, an art heist documentary.

Pretty good so far, would recommend.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone watched “Them” on Prime? From the thumbnail thing, I thought it was a horror, but it’s far worse: Based on reality. Hard to enjoy really, but it is worth watching, if you can cope with the knots in your stomach.

jimmy

Liking Mare of Eastwood a lot

vazaha

Russian Doll is a worthy contender for ‘high quality brain out silly comedy’ status.

Parks & Recs is brilliant, and just gets better as it goes on.

I see you mention detectorists, which i would like to nominate as an actual masterpiece, and would highly recommend to anyone who is yet to see it (it’s on iPlayer).

DezB
    Free Member

jimmy
    Liking Mare of Eastwood a lot

That’s the Clint version. Kate Winslet’s is “Mare of Easttown” 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

Wu Assassins is chopsocky nonsense but entertaining

Liftman

Bridget and Eamon on prime
    Comedy set in the 80s, silly fun

mahalo

not the NF but we watched all 5 new episodes of Motherland on the iplayer last night. tonight we will probably do the same again!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I may be late to the party, I usually am in terms of telly stuff, but The Terror is fantastic. I usually canny be arsed with the Beebs obsession with period stuff, but this has really got me.

thols2

I’m three episodes into Mare of Easttown. It’s well made, good cast, but it’s a perfect example of an HBO very serious prestige drama about a conflicted anti-hero. It just feels like everyone involved is trying a bit too hard.

nickc

It just feels like everyone involved is trying a bit too hard.

I watched one ep last night, and was coming here to say the same thing. It has all the elements it needs to make it a popular drama, but it just feels like it’s made from a drop down menu.

DezB
    Free Member

Agree about Mare.. Winslet keeps me watching, cos she’s so good. Normally can’t stand Brits cast in American roles.

THEM on Prime, as I mentioned earlier, is absolutely brilliant.

mahalo

also agree about Mare. when you find yourself looking for excuses not to watch episode 2 you know its probably not for you…

toby1

Disney + but Dollface has been quirky fun and very watchable.

DezB
    Free Member

Also on Prime, starting Friday is “The Underground Railroad” – looks good dammit, I wanted to cancel Prime.

jimmy

That’s the Clint version. Kate Winslet’s is “Mare of Easttown”

I like it so much I, err, oh…..

Haven’t seen much Fargo 4 chat. Looking forward to starting that.

DezB
    Free Member

Haven’t seen much Fargo 4 chat. Looking forward to starting that.

There was a thread when it came out on some other streaming platform (I think that’s what the kids call em) I remember replying, but even google doesnt find the thread.
    Watched it on downloads, but gonna watch on C4 again cos there is a hell of a lot going on.

mahalo

Enjoying ‘Them’ if enjoying is the right word. It’s great tele but f me it’s grim at times!!

DezB
    Free Member

Try The Underground Railroad …Bleak ain’t the half of it!

johnners
    Free Member

Try The Underground Railroad …Bleak ain’t the half of it!

Isn’t it though? Just watched the first episode, at least they’ve toned it down a bit from the book.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Fargo 4 chat

Mixed bag series 4. Cinematography and acting absolutely superb, but I’m not so convinced by the writing this time, too many instances of “but nobody in that situation would do that, even accounting for the hyperreal set up”.

andylc
    Free Member

Enjoying Timeless on Netflix at the moment. Enjoyable mix of crazy and interesting historical stuff. Also Toon – Dutch comedy about geeky guy unwittingly thrown into the limelight.

DezB
    Free Member

Now, I’ve watched 3 episodes of Underground Railroad – not sure if I’m gonna go on with it. I mean it’s obviously high quality, but there’s just no respite from the grim suffering. I just can’t derive any pleasure from watching such constant bleakness.
    Anyone else finding this?

twistedpencil

The book was a tough read, but well worth reading and one of the few books I intend to read again.

I’m going to start watching this week, but will probably space them out.

thols2

Enjoying Timeless on Netflix at the moment.

Yes, that was a fun show.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m going to start watching this week, but will probably space them out.

Yeah, maybe I need to do one a week. Get the lightness from other stuff in between 🙂

sirromj

First episode of Them didn’t grab me much, but yes is good, just watched ep4 tonight.

The movie His House bears a passing resemblance, but here it’s illegal immigrants from Sudan settled in grotty English town.

scuttler

Any love for Snowfall on BBC iPlayer? Midway through S3 having watched 1 & 2 a while back and I think its brilliant; parallel stories, great characters, 80s nostalgia and on council telly!

batfink
    Free Member

Just finished Mare of Easttown….. excellent. Really, really good. The last few episodes were particularly good.

But mostly I’m here to say DON’T WATCH “ARMY OF THE DEAD”

What a festering pile of dung that was – absolutely terrible. The trailer made it look promising – but holy cow, you could write a thesis about what was wrong with that film. There were so many plot holes, dead ends and pointless ambiguities – that (if the film wasn’t 2.5 hours long) you would assume that there was a massive amount that had been cut out.

I know its a zombie film, and I know it’s a Zach Snyder film, but there was so much that just made absolutely no sense that it left me feeling really annoyed at the end of the film. I’ve read a couple of reviews since I’ve watched it, and the consensus seems to be that he/they are going to use this as kind of a primer for a bunch of films/animated series. But as a result, the actual film you are watching doesn’t hang together at all. Where did that character come from? No idea. Where did that character go? No idea. Why is that person doing that completely illogical thing? No idea. Were some of the zombies actually robots? (yes, seriously) No idea. How did that bloke do that thing that was impossible 5 minutes ago? No idea.

Honestly, this film has left me so annoyed.

thols2

Just finished Mare of Easttown

I found it really disappointing. Great cast, very well made, but the writing was lazy and cliched. From very early on it was obvious that the writers were just making one character after another look like the obvious suspect. They had an arrest and confession early in the final episode, so it was obvious that there would have to be an extra twist or else they were going to spend most of the episode with everyone talking through their trauma and hugging and making up. Turns out we got both. Just too predictable and cliched.

Not Netflix, but I enjoyed Resident Alien the most of the recent shows. Alan Tudyk is excellent as an arrogant, socially inept dickhead.

batfink
    Free Member

but the writing was lazy and cliched. From very early on it was obvious that the writers were just making one character after another look like the obvious suspect. They had an arrest and confession early in the final episode, so it was obvious that there would have to be an extra twist or else they were going to spend most of the episode with everyone talking through their trauma and hugging and making up. Turns out we got both. Just too predictable and cliched.

Meh – I didn’t think so. I mean, I agree that throughout that they were steering you towards different characters as suspects, but I thought it was obvious in the final episode that something wasn’t right, and so you (and the main character) were looking for alternative explanations. But of all the various twists in the plot – we didn’t figure out what was happening until the main character did.

I found the whole thing decidedly un-cliched, me and my wife both said that all the characters felt very real – there was obviously a lot of “melodrama” going on in the midst of a police investigation – and all that felt really rich and engaging to me, but that it added to the police procedural aspect, rather than detracting from it.

rone

Mare of Easttown is fantastic, and in the context of many characters did a great job at juggling the possibilities.

I would say it was as far from lazy writing as you can possibly get. Why? Because like all the best thrillers it has a strong dual theme running through it which might on one level be a who-dunnit but on the other is small town generational pain with little opportunity to escape in places like the Rust Belt.

I thought the ending was excellent.

Guy Pearce’s character was an interesting entry though!

Army of the Dead: just about entertaining enough to survive it. Snyder really isn’t a very good film maker though and is only a slightly more interesting version of Michael Bay.

He makes interesting scenes every now and again but the whole thing is a little dull despite a great set-up.

Shot in full frame 8K on a Red Monstro. Not sure I liked the shallow depth of field in this.

funkmasterp

Black Summer series two start in a couple of weeks. Didn’t get great reviews but I preferred it to The Walking Dead. No sitting around spouting exposition. Just tense scene after tense scene with fast, deadly zombies.

batfink
    Free Member

Shot in full frame 8K on a Red Monstro. Not sure I liked the shallow depth of field in this.

Yeah – watched it on a new oLED telly, expecting it to look great, but it didn’t, and I don’t know why. The tiger looked fantastic, but lots of the alpha zombie scenes were really distracting as they just looked like some bloke in a costume doing interpretive dance – maybe because the shots lingered for too long? Putting direction down as another thing that pissed me off about the film.

thols2

it has a strong dual theme running through it which might on one level be a who-dunnit but on the other is small town generational pain with little opportunity to escape in places like the Rust Belt.

All the way through it, I just kept getting visions of Kate Winslet reading the script and squealing in delight, “If I do this, I’m gonna win an award for the most acting.”

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Deutschland 89 not as good as 83 and 86 still very enjoyable.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 3,895 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.