Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 3,893 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • thols2

Also enjoyed Lupin, although as mentioned up there 👆, an odd ending. Are there more planned?

There are five more episodes coming out mid-year.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There are five more episodes coming out mid-year.

Nice. Cheers.

DezB
    Free Member

…Irish noir, Calm With Horses* is a good, darkly violent example of the genre. Set in nowhere in particular rural Ireland, the main character had me convinced.

Watch it last night. Very good. (Though not exactly cheery!). If you like that, I reckon you’d like Calibre.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Watch it last night. Very good. (Though not exactly cheery!). If you like that, I reckon you’d like Calibre.

Least glamorous car chase ever. 😂 Scenery was good though!

Yup, Calibre is on the watch list after you mentioned it. Saving it for the weekend. Sounds right up my street.

Slight spoiler: the main character in Calm With Horses isn’t Irish at all. I looked him up when I saw him in something else only to find he was American/British/Armenian. Hadn’t even crossed my mind he might not be Irish. But then again, IIRC, he doesn’t say much 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, he was so good in that, didn’t realise I’d seen him in Raised by Wolves, Peaky Blinders and Humans!
    Niamh Algar is excellent too. Also was in Raised by Wolves 🙂

nicko74

Just watched Calm with Horses last weekend after hearing good reviews. It’s pretty good in a very understated way, although the wife wasn’t sure what to make of it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Watched the movie reboot of The Equalizer (starring Denzel) last night, it was surprisingly enjoyable.

Like A History of Violence crossed with, erm, The Equalizer.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just watched Calm with Horses last weekend after hearing good reviews. It’s pretty good in a very understated way, although the wife wasn’t sure what to make of it.

I felt during the film that I wanted to see some kind of huge redemption for Arm. Y’know, he forms a strong new relationship with his son and ex, they learn to ride horses together and live happily ever after. Of course, that level of redemption is mostly a movie trope. I also appreciated how the main protagonists were pretty much without redeeming qualities.

I like it when a film just makes you exhale at the end and mutter, “****, isn’t life just shit really…” I must read the short story from which it was written.

Probably talking it up a bit too much now…there’s just so much shite on the streaming services that it’s refreshing to get something out of left field that smacks you in the face.

retrorick

I enjoy Netflix but I think I’ll quit for the spring and summer months then return in the autumn when there should be more new content and I might have saved myself £60 🤔😃

shinton
    Free Member

We’ve reached a new lockdown low. We’re binge-watching ‘Married at First Sight – Australia’ on All 4.

It takes car crash television to a frankly staggering new level. It’s weirdly compelling. 😳

@Binners
    – we’re in the same situation. Ines is a piece of work isn’t she?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And on a different note, just finished Palmer on Apple TV+

Timberlake (stick with me here) turns in a good performance as an ex-con, returned home, strikes up a relationship with a “different” boy (probably the star of the film rather than JT). A nice redemption story with some sweet and some sad moments. I even did a little cry at the last scene. 😀 Anyway, it’s worth a watch if you happen to have a free sub from buying an iPhone or something.

markgraylish
    Free Member

<heresy alert>I’m working my way thru Better Call Saul and I’m part way thru Season 2, and I’m just wondering whether anything actually happens…it just seems to bobble along with a couple of storylines intertwined.

Whilst the acting is excellent, the storylines aren’t exactly compelling.

Should I persevere or abandon? </heresy>

fingerbang
    Free Member

I’ve just started Fargo, is it worth the commitment?. I’ve got American horror story and lupin lined up next on my list

Impressed that Martin Freeman is having a go at a Minnesota accent and not just generic american

binners

Should I persevere or abandon?

I’d definitely stick with it. Even if it’s just to sigh wistfully at Kim

chakaping
    Free Member

I never felt Saul did that aimless plodding as much as breaking bad.

Maybe because the characters are so much better (IMO).

I could watch another spin off series just about Mike.

coffeesamurai
    Free Member

Oldy but a good.. Why not do a weekend of Breaking bad.
    Amazing show.
    Or also the “Good girls” is very good! Actually, it’s amazing!!

Poopscoop

I thought Good Girls was ok till I watched Dead To Me which is absolutely superb and in a similar vein to Good Girls. Just 100x better.

andrewreay

Better Call Saul deserves perseverance.

It matures like a fine wine.

The more you watch, the better it gets.

Yes the pace is slow, and it’s not instant gratification TV, but returns your investment in spades.

Honestly think it is the best thing on TV I’ve ever seen. Series four finale is a masterpiece IHMO. Stick with it!

Also love that they don’t release the new episodes en masse. You have to wait a week for the next one.

Fargo also well, well worth some time. Personal favourite was series two, but three excellent as well. Was slightly less enthusiastic about series four and five, but they still knock spots off most dramas.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Fire fly lane.

Pure feel good fluff, very chick flick… Score brownie points with Mrs while secretly enjoying it… Catherine heigl…. Hubba Hubba, and an even better looking blonde.

plus-one

Fargo is excellent stick with it

DezB
    Free Member

I’m working my way thru Better Call Saul and I’m part way thru Season 2, and I’m just wondering whether anything actually happens

Funnily enough – same here. Did Breaking Bad first lockdown, so Saul this.
    Better Call Saul is much better. Partly due to lack of Cranston, an actor I’ve only really got on with as Malcolm’s dad. The Mike storyline is keeping me going on S2, cos the stuff with Jimmy’s brother is **** irritating, anyone would’ve ditched looking after him about 5 episodes ago!
    Fills the time anyway.

jimmy

I agree with BCS – I was waiting waiting for something to happen and then you realise it IS happening. The flash forwards to him working in the Donut shop are intriguing – I wonder if the story will actually end up there, or if it’s just a carrot on the stick.

sharkattack

The best thing I’ve watched on Netflix in ages is Thunder Road.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned already as it’s been available for ages but I was kicking myself for not watching it sooner. It’s written, directed by and starring the same bloke who performs some of the best acting I’ve seen in ages.

It’s a tragic story with some very funny moments.

Away from Netlix I just finished ‘Wayne’ on Prime. What an absolute blast. If you can identify with juvenile delinquents who try to do the right thing by always making things worse it might resonate with you. Something about it made me feel nostalgic! Featuring a heavy metal soundtrack and the most incredible cast of greasy scumbags.

Caher

Also watched Calm with Horses. Gritty. Seemed like Ireland in the 70’s with mobile phones.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Stumbled upon this last night, its really very good in a simple kind of way. If you like dark humour and independent films you have to check this out. Its disappearing from Netflix tomorrow so you will have to be quick

chakaping
    Free Member

Loved Lupin, and very impressed with their confidence to end it like that.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Absolutely loving and immersed in Fargo

Just the right mix of humour, funny accents, weirdness and brutality for me

My kind of shiznit. Im looking forward to getting in a couple of episodes later

I’m watching season 2 and never seen such a beautifully realised 1979 universe, complete with brutalist architecture, waist length leather jackets and farrah fawcett hair

Absolutely no desire to visit Minnesota or North Dakota though

martinhutch

Watched the movie reboot of The Equalizer (starring Denzel) last night, it was surprisingly enjoyable.

Good for turboing. Featuring the usual bad guys with the worst tactics, aim and reflexes outside an episode of the A-team. Didn’t even use a clip of the theme tune, which was disappointing.

Must start watching BCS again. Got distracted by shiny Expanse.

chakaping
    Free Member

So I got about 15 or 20 mins into Fargo ep1 and just thought “nope, not the kind of thing I need to watch at the mo”.

Does it continue to just be about awful people doing awful things?

fasthaggis

Does it continue to just be about awful people doing awful things?

Well yes,but it’s worth watching for Billy Bob’s performance alone. 🙂

StuE
    Free Member

Had a good old laugh at Motherland

fingerbang
    Free Member

Had a good old laugh at Motherland

I like the pathetic token dad. I always think of him if I’m taking junior to a kiddy party and I’m the only dad

One of the assassins in Utopia IIRC

binners

Yes the pace is slow, and it’s not instant gratification TV, but returns your investment in spades.

All the above.

And Kim. Don’t forget Kim…

sirromj

Just watched ep2 of Deliver Us, on Walter Presents/All4/CH4. Danish/subtitles. Town bully inspiring his victims to seek revenge. He’s a bit of a menace.

jam-bo

Loved Lupin, and very impressed with their confidence to end it like that.

setup ready for season 2?

mahalo

bloody love BCS. loved BB too to be fair too. Better Call Saul skateboard scammers scene in the first season with the Shook Milestones track turned up to max is just class…

i loved Fargo too, up until the the Renton series when i lost interest.. need to revisit i think.

Theres not much i dont like tbh, but thought Good Girls was garbage. i only managed to keep watching a whole season for one reason, well two actually…

not watched anything new for a while tho, was thinking of cancelling when they announced the recent price hike, but then id be cutting my whole extended family off!!

mostly watch Im Alan Partridge on repeat you cow. and ive watched Straight Outta Compton a million times.

will give Lupin a go!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Just my 2p. But I don’t agree. It’s a good show, watching is a episode a week is like pulling teeth though.

I don’t think it “deserves” perseverance, it’s gets it because it’s at worst inoffensive to watch and viewers are invested enough in the characters because they’ve watched and enjoyed breaking bad. There are some moments of brilliance, but they’re rare little moments when the writers allow the story to happen and viewers occasionally are teased by the odd glimpse of Saul, be it in the actions of Jimmy, or in one of the B&W flash-forwards. Netflix is certainly no above teasing the idea that Walter and Jessie might appear ‘at some point’ when they need to build a bit of drama, although as they weren’t able to get Bryan Cranston to turn up for the terrible and mostly forgotten Breaking Bad Movie, I have my doubts.

If “it matures like a fine wine” it’s only because as the series progress the story actually starts to pick up the pace, even if infuriately they hint that something important might happen, only to pull it back at the last moment.

I don’t know how it will end, we know what happens to Mike and Saul, but Kim’s future is a mystery, I think the problem will be that the writers seem to like 2 things, defying expectation, but at the same time doing things that BB fans think are cool.

If anyone hasn’t seen it yet, I’ve got 2 bits of Advice, if you haven’t seen Breaking Bad, watch that first, I don’t think Better Call Saul stands alone, too much of it is built around Breaking Bad, the ‘cool’ references will pass you buy. If you have, it’s a decent view, and they’re supposedly going to film the last series soon, it might be out this year, maybe next, but at least you won’t have to wait 6 years (and counting) to watch it.

fasthaggis

If anyone hasn’t seen it yet, I’ve got 2 bits of Advice, if you haven’t seen Breaking Bad, watch that first, I don’t think Better Call Saul stands alone, too much of it is built around Breaking Bad, the ‘cool’ references will pass you buy.

Yup, I don’t think I would have stuck with it if I hadn’t watched BB first.

thols2

the terrible and mostly forgotten Breaking Bad Movie

I don’t think they should have titled it “Movie”. It’s not a stand-alone movie, it would make no sense to anyone who hadn’t seen BB. It was basically a long final episode just tying up loose ends. It was ok if you think of it as that. Not terrible, but not really necessary either.

I enjoy Better Call Saul, but I can’t imagine it making any sense to someone who hasn’t watched BB. I find Jimmy/Saul irritating. Seeing Mike, Kim, and Nacho making bad choices is excellent TV. Lalo Salamanca is a truly great villain. Tuco was scary, but stupid. Lalo is utterly terrifying.

chakaping
    Free Member

setup ready for season 2?

Yes, the coinfidence that they would get a season 2 (although they may have already known) and to just leave the viewer hanging, with no semblance of a resolution.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 3,893 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.