Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 3,891 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • white101

Just gone through the whole 3 series of Fargo again, loved it on C4 and its great watching back characters and plot are fantastic.

Was on Disney + last night after catching up with Mandalorian and sat through a Nat Geo doc on 2 guys who walk the Grand Canyon, I thought it was gonna be two guys and lots of go pro on a stick stuff but it was much more about the landscape and commercial interests trying to monetise everything in site, heli alley was an eye opener. 400 flights a day.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Well he was 90 when he passed away back in 2007

Ah. Oops.
    Looks a fascinating story now I’ve looked it up. Will try to watch it tonight.
    Thanks.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Watched 2 episodes of “We are the Champions” last night.

It’s, erm… nuts.

It showcases odd / obscure competitions around the world, have you ever met someone and been told later “Oh, you know he was 3rd in the the World Bog Snorkelling Championship in 2004” or something like that? That sort of thing.

It’s more that sort of trash TV you used to get in the 90s when they’d poke fun at people doing weird things, it tells their story, it more about the person than the event.

Anyway, Ep1 was that cheese rolling contest they have in Gloucestershire, did you know that it’s more than just a complete free for all and the luckiest competitor who doesn’t end up with a broken leg wins? The most successful racer has won 23 races (they have 3 Male races on the same, day but only 1 Female race as “Men are 3 times as stupid as Women), and ‘runs’ 100m faster than Usain Bolt. Also the most successful Female racer has won every race she’s ever entered.

Ep2 is Chilli eating the Guy who bred the Carolina Reaper invites the worlds top Chilli eaters to his farm to battle who can eat the most unpleasant chilli on earth. It’s far worse than just having a burning mouth, it seems positively dangerous.

chakaping
    Free Member

I watched eps 1 & 2 of that last night, very enjoyable.

I’d definitely rather throw myself down that hill than try to eat any of those chillies.

Voiceover is Dwight from US The Office BTW, didn’t realise until the credits.

franksinatra

I enjoyed that, watched 1 & 2 only but they were great. I thought Flo the cheese chasing girl was rather lovely.

chakaping
    Free Member

She was nails. It was very impressive seeing her get into her stride.

Caher

Broken collar bone one year, busted ankle the next. Tough lady.

wordnumb
    Free Member

She must really like cheese.

Houns

Watched Arkansas last night, was half asleep so may have missed something, but this bugged me (sorry for a bit of a spoiler, I’ll try and keep it vague) why didn’t the one with the gun come and help his brother?

chakaping
    Free Member

I dunno Houns, but was it any good?

Houns

Meh, it was ok, I wouldn’t say it’s a must watch

chakaping
    Free Member

We could have another thread for Netflix filler, it would be three times the size of this though.

FuzzyWuzzy

why didn’t the one with the gun come and help his brother?

Yeah was a bit weak, I assume he must have been out of earshot but why he took the guy out of earshot in the first place doesn’t make much sense

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Queens Gambit is surprisingly good

Mosul is very good

erictwinge
    Free Member

could do with some new reccos. got prime, nf, disney+ and apple tv now after i signed up for a free 12 months…

watched Ted Lasso in one evening, enjoyed that for what it was, bit cheesey but funny. im at a point now where if its not making me laugh or at least smile i loose interest quite quickly. Queens Gambit ran out of steam a couple of eps before the end. Been trying to watch The Americans, but struggling for grip – just keep going back to old episodes of Alan Partridge or Curb!!

Master of None and Love are two of my favourite shows on the Flix. another one i enjoyed but not sure about admitting to was ‘Emily in Paris!!’ so i guess this is my level… Did Watch Hunters recently actually – not much to laugh about in that to be fair…

Regarding Fargo – i though it went DH after the Freeman series! he was great.

lowey

Mosul is excellent.

joefm

We recently watched Misfits, and as my memory is terrible it was like watching it for the first time. Really enjoyed it.
    I heard Nathan was in Umbrella Academy and now we’re on Season 2. Which is fantastic.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

Spotless is worth a watch – a bit like Breaking Bad so well written and good characters. Shame it didn’t get a second series.

franksinatra

Just started watch Ratchet last night, two episodes in so far an it is good so far.

Once again, I urge everyone to watch Unorthodox. I will repeat this until everyone has seen it.

skellnonch
    Free Member

Watched Icarus last night its a few years out of date now (2017) but worth a watch

steve-g
    Free Member

Icarus as recommended above was good yes, that’s worth a watch.

Wild Wild Country was a very well done documentary series about an Indian cult moving to America in the 80s, crazy stuff.

I watched the first few episodes of We are the champions recently too, nice way to kill half an hour, quirky stuff.

In terms of bingeworth box sets, Mindhunter – semi based in reality story of FBI agents defining the serial killer profiling methods in the 70s or 80s. Then The Sinner, really enjoyed this one, twists and turns detective type show, one case per series. Netflix has the seasons out of sync as they are named so be careful to start on the correct one.

mahalo

took Sinatra’s word and watched Unorthodox.

interesting enough, but glad there was only 4 episodes!

franksinatra

Finished Ratched last night. Very enjoyable, well cast, well produced series. Liked it a lot.

toby1

Just finished 2 things:

Home for Christmas – (Norwegian) enjoyable and light Chistmas related entertainment without the American perfect life twist, but leaves me wanting a trip to Norway, who doesn’t want a main street you can sled down?

Stateless – not exactly cheery viewing considering the plight of refugees coming to Europe and the UK these days, there used to be a fenced in ‘Immigration reception centre’ up the road from here, I wonder how long till we return to that. Crazy to think there are elements of truth to the story too, but quality all the same.

IHN

We’re currently watching and enjoying Borgen; it’s like the West Wing, but set in Denmark

(and if you’re a fan of the West Wing, you can have fun spotting the bits they’ve lifted from it…)

P-Jay
    Free Member

Finished Ratched last night. Very enjoyable, well cast, well produced series. Liked it a lot.

I enjoyed it too, mostly. I can’t recall ever watching ‘One flew over’ which didn’t seem to hold me back.

fasthaggis

Not Netflix but watched and enjoyed  ‘Lean on Pete’ ,it’s on All 4 for a few more days.

Anyone watched Mank?

misteralz
    Free Member

That’s series 11 of Archer just landed on Netflix. Feels a touch tamer three episodes in, but that’s to be expected after a three year long coma, I guess…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Been watching ‘Good Girls’ recently… it’s okay. As above “Netflix filler” yeah that.

Anyway, 3 suburban housewives, make the leap to armed robbers with nearly implausible ease, their target, a low-end Supermarket is in some way (it’s never really explained) connected to a local criminal, who is continuously referred to as a drug dealer, despite not actually being so. He’s Mexican-American with neck tattoos which I’m sure rings all sorts of bells with the American audience.

Anyway, they end up in his debt, and over the course of the 9 episodes I’ve watched so far, continuously grasp failure from the jaws of success whilst empowering themselves, also, there are tears, lots of tears as their relationships with their partners, their side-pieces and each other fall apart and repair themselves each episode.

Their schemes, which are plausible in the series wouldn’t be IRL, and maybe it’s because of my background, but they have far more obvious, less risky, more profitable routes to success much closer to home, they either don’t see, or ignore.

It’s no better than 5/10, but it’s easy to watch whilst playing with your phone.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone watched Mank?

I’ve tried. Subject matter just doesn’t grab me. I know it’s supposed to be this new classic… but it literally put me to sleep.

DezB
    Free Member

“His House” was pretty good though! almost a standard fare horror, but the story gets better as it unfolds.

toby1

series 11 of Archer just landed on Netflix

Wooo!! (Archer style) I had no idea about this, thanks!

nicko74

Something something danger zone!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I finished S2 of Westworld finally and loved yet, so starting tonight on S3 after planning to start it in the summer.

chakaping
    Free Member

What service is Westworld on then?

I got round to trying Fargo TV series, only made it about 15 mins into ep1 before deciding it was far too miserable for current times. Maybe next summer.

There’s a nice docu on Netflix about the making of Elf, “The Holiday Movies that Made Us” IIRC.

chakaping
    Free Member

Any recommendations for hilarious sitcoms I may have missed?

My faves of recent years have been Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Norsemen, Kimmy Schmidt…

So, clever but silly kind of stuff.

johnx2
    Free Member

my wife is working her way through Frazier on some channel or other as a daytime treat. And it is a treat! No idea when or what it’s on. hth

beej

Parks and Recreation? Give it a couple of episodes.

Community as well.

johnx2
    Free Member

My name is Dave, iPlayer. Helps if you know a tiny bit about rap but I really liked it and am confident millions of insider jokes will have flown past me.

Reminds me: Atlanta. Bleaker comedy, but really good telly. Staring one of the cast of Community.

May rewatch both…

martinhutch

What service is Westworld on then?

Sky, I think.

S1 – Excellent
    S2 – Alright I suppose
    S3 – Oh look, that bloke from Breaking Bad is in it. Terrible, isn’t it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 3,891 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.