Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 3,891 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • john_l
    Free Member

Don’t start Mayans MC, then!

grum
    Free Member

Sons of Anarchy is highly entertaining at times and aspects of it are well done, but it’s super-cheesy and far too in love with itself. I felt dirty after watching the whole thing, same with The Shield, made by the same dude.

Almost worth watching SoA for the Irish bits, pretty hilarious.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just seen the first two Queens Gambit episodes. It really is rather good isn’t it?
    Funny coincidence was I noticed Anya Taylor-Joy for the first time in The New Mutants on Sunday and here she is again.

tenfoot

Thoroughly enjoyed The Queen’s Gambit. Anya Taylor-Joy was excellent.

We’ve just started watching Carmel – Who Killed Maria Marta. 2 episodes in and it’s batshit crazy.

We’re also watching Schitt’s Creek which is very amusing.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Blood of Zeus was awesome if you like anime. A very different spin on the Greek Gods.

Alex Rider on Prime is great and a far better take on the books than the dreadful film.

Caher

Yep ploughed through Queen’s Gambit this weekend. One of the best things I’ve seen on Netflix.
    Must play s but of chess again.

martinhutch

Must play s but of chess again.

Or take a winning combination of tranquilisers and booze.

thols2

I’m a few episode into Raised by Wolves, a Ridley Scott sci-fi series. Looks ok so far, not sure where it’s heading – seems to be touching on a lot of the same themes as Battlestar Galactica.

chakaping
    Free Member

Watched Parasite (currently on Prime ) last night.

Wow, that is a very good film.

MSP

I’m a few episode into Raised by Wolves

Who is streaming that?

neilnevill
    Free Member

I thought sons of anarchy was fabulous, so did my wife, although too violent at the end. I’d it out up there with breaking bad as quality drama.

Haven’t tried Mayans MC

jimmy

This may have already been mentioned along the way, if so another recommendation for Schitts Creek. I watched first one and nearly didn’t bother again. An American friend made me promise to watch 6 episodes. It gets better and better, and a few friends I’ve found out since have watched it all say the same. 20mins an episode, it’s too easy to stay up late.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m on series 2 or 3 of Schitts Creek and I feel it’s starting to plateau now.

Jokes getting repetitive and characters not as funny as the show seems to think they are.

Am I just being miserable?

thols2

I watched ep 1 of The Good Lord Bird yesterday. I’m not a big fan of Ethan Hawke, but he’s excellent as a batshit crazy John Brown (the abolishionist). I’m guessing it takes some liberties with historical details, but some great actors having fun chewing the scenery.

chakaping
    Free Member

Strongly recommend Sorry To Bother You on Netflix.

Funny, clever, subversive and bonkers surreal satire with a really creative style and an awesome soundtrack.

Good companion piece to Parasite.

fasthaggis

Nice one.

I was looking at this a few months ago,has it just come on to Netflix?

honeybadgerx

We just watched the trial of the Chicago seven on Netflix last night, pretty good. I’m none too aware of the actual events, but scary stuff.

funkmasterp

Strongly recommend Sorry To Bother You on Netflix.

Funny, clever, subversive and bonkers surreal satire with a really creative style and an awesome soundtrack.

Is that the one directed by Boots Riley from The Coup? If it is I’ve been meaning to watch it for ages. If you liked the soundtrack you should check out the band.

kirky72
    Free Member

Very late to the party but really enjoying designated survivor, a bit unbelievable but very suspenseful and fast paced mix of espionage and politics.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is that the one directed by Boots Riley from The Coup? If it is I’ve been meaning to watch it for ages. If you liked the soundtrack you should check out the band.

Yes, already on it.

😀

Murray

I’m rather enjoying Barbarians – Romans vs Germans. Glad I don’t live in that time and place.

richmtb

Another +1 for The Queens Gambit it was brilliant.

Currently watching “The Liberator”

Its a sort of Band Of Brothers lite based on among other things the Battle of Anzio. Only 4 episodes, so doesn’t have the depth of Band Of Brothers, but its been shot/produced as a hybrid film animation using really interesting rotoscoping style effects. You’ll either love the visuals or hate it.

Worth a look for being a bit different.

franksinatra

Bit slow catching up with it but on Fargo Season 3. Fabulous tele.

chakaping
    Free Member

Keen to try Fargo, but have a slight aversion to smug-mug Martin Freeman.

Should I be concerned?

martinhutch

He’s not smug in this, quite the opposite. First series of Fargo is excellent, mainly because of Billy Bob Thornton, but Freeman is good in it as well.

fasthaggis

Yup, Freeman is very good at channelling the original film’s weedy Jerry Lundegaard style of character.

Billy Bob is awesome though  😊

p7eaven
    Free Member

Probably already mentioned but ‘I Love Dick’ (Amazon Prime) is brilliant. Twisted, funny, original. Kathryn Hahn is funny as.

Synopsis: Bizarre love triangle with Kevin Bacon as the cowboy/artist/love-interest.

FuzzyWuzzy

Arkansas is pretty good

franksinatra

If Martin Freeman I’d putting you off then start with season three as he’s not in it. The series are independent of each other so no need at all to watch in order.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks. I will try Fargo S1, I’m always big enough to change my mind about people if they earn it.

😉

martinhutch

If Martin Freeman I’d putting you off then start with season three as he’s not in it.

Depends if you like double helpings of Ewan McGregor. 🙂

somafunk

The Queen’s Gambit, easily the best thing I’ve watched this year

shinton
    Free Member

Currently watching “The Liberator”

Its a sort of Band Of Brothers lite based on among other things the Battle of Anzio. Only 4 episodes, so doesn’t have the depth of Band Of Brothers, but its been shot/produced as a hybrid film animation using really interesting rotoscoping style effects. You’ll either love the visuals or hate it.

Worth a look for being a bit different.

Been waiting for this to come out and currently reading the book as it’s based on a true story. Didn’t really know that much about Anzio but a little about the defensive lines that were put up across Italy which led to some attritional fighting with huge numbers of casualties on both sides.

Also interested as the main character was in our house last Christmas and seeing him in animated form looks really weird.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Also interested as the main character was in our house last Christmas and seeing him in animated form looks really weird.

That’s a story in itself. He must be getting on a bit.

shinton
    Free Member

^^^^^^^^^^^
    Well he was 90 when he passed away back in 2007. What I should have said is the actor who plays the lead role was in our house last Christmas and seeing him in animated form looks really weird.

This is what the animation looks like

Link

franksinatra

Thanks for the nudge to The Liberator.

I love WW2 drama like Band of Brothers, anything else similar on Netflix or Prime?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

There’s a really interesting series called Undone on Prime that uses the same sort of animation overlay.

Whoever recommended Manhunt: Unabomber a few pages back thanks for that, excellent viewing.

johnners
    Free Member

I love WW2 drama like Band of Brothers, anything else similar on Netflix or Prime?

If you can stretch to a month’s NowTV you could steam through The Pacific. Decent enough but not a patch on BoB tbh. While you’re on there though you could watch Generation Kill. Iraq war rather than WW2 but really excellent.

franksinatra

I’ve mentioned it before but worth a bump.

Unorthodox. Truly outstanding, eye opening and bold tele. Well worth the programme about making it at the end as well.

thols2

The Thin Red Line is obvious, if you haven’t seen it already. Also, Catch 22.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 3,891 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.