• This topic has 3,830 replies, 498 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by ossify.
Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 3,831 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • sadexpunk

+1 for The Stranger.

Episode 1 was good, 2 was even better. Lots filmed around here (Bury town centre! Bolton Grammar School!)

I’m hooked

on episode 4 right now, seems an enjoyable watch…..

Houns

When, not where Drac 😋

Drac

Oops!

I’ve put the Uncut Gems back on giving it another 30 minutes, struggling Sandler really is terrible.

“I’m shouting”

”I’m whispering now”

Smiles at a kid.

Basically the same as all his later films.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alpin
    Free Member

Don’t **** with cats….

But there was another pair of hands in the cat video.

They pronounced fusilier as “fuzy-liaer”.

The mum was brilliant in her naivety /unwillingness to see the facts.

trailwagger
    Free Member

+1 for “The Stranger”

Kept us gripped and guessing right to the end…. well almost the end, I called it about 3 episode from the end.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, the stranger is pretty good.

rone

Is the Stranger just another grim Brit thing? Or is there more going off?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is the Stranger just another grim Brit thing? Or is there more going off?

Only watched one episode, but no, certainly not grim. It’s Harlan Coben created, and based on one of his novels, so possibly think along the lines of Safe, which I think was on Netflix a while back – I wasn’t keen to be honest. So plenty of wealthy middle class people living in nice leafy streets with kids in grammar school uncovering dark secrets of those close to them. And, would you believe it, a pair of mis-matched detectives that bounce hilariously off one another. Cast looks a bit better than Safe, but crikey, episode 1 had more cliches than a cliche shop on Cliche St. I’ll give it a bit more leeway based on what people here are saying.

Caher

In my younger adult form I was a Buffy fan,so enjoying Sabrina. A lot of similarities.

rone

Couple of episodes into the Stranger and it’s a bit like Grange Hill and Hollyoaks mixed with some elements of Happy Valley.(That is a damn fine programme.)

Entertaining enough I guess.

Some odd casting going on…

tinribz
    Free Member

Happy Valley sprung to my mind too. Have paused at ep3 partly because I’m annoyed how young Richard Armitage looks, and partly down to being oddly drawn into the ridiculousness that is Ragnarok instead.

richardkennerley

Has anyone else recommended “how to sell drugs online….. Fast? ”

It’s German, a bit teenage angsty, a bit quirky, quite funny, I’m probably way too old to be enjoying it but it’s pretty cool. Six 30 minute episodes. I’ve done 5 in so far, don’t know if it’s going to tie up or do a second series.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Rise of empires. Ottoman was pretty good. Half drama half documentary type thing. Decent.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Well I guess documentary is a bit strong. Historical interpretation by people that have read alot about it. 😆

Caher

Rise of empires. Ottoman was pretty good. Half drama half documentary type thing. Decent

Thought it was good too but one episode too long. Spoiler (don’t know how to do the hide thing). Was glad the wall came down I the end.

vondally
    Free Member

Uncut gems – not a gem.

beej

In my younger adult form I was a Buffy fan,so enjoying Sabrina. A lot of similarities.

Ditto. I watched all 144 episodes of BTVS on the turbo training, over a couple of years!

Does early 40s count as “younger adult”?

rone

Uncut gems – not a gem

Definitely a devisive one.

I seem to be in the minority with this one. Tip: put subtitles on.

Houns

Season 1 of sex ed done, I kinda think it’s this generations Adrian Mole

plus-one

Uncut gems was more cubic zirconia than diamond for sure !

Drac

I seem to be in the minority with this one. Tip: put subtitles on.

Does that improve the acting and the storyline?

rone

Does that improve the acting and the storyline?

In that it makes it easier to follow.

If one doesn’t like it – one doesn’t like it.

Drac

But some how arousing.

Cougar

That’s going to be a difficult one

Paraphrasing Frankie Boyle, I presume?

rone

toby1

Sex Education season 2 was rampant. Strongly recommended.

You season 2, a bit cliched, but it was good to watch too. Watch if you enjoyed Dexter perhaps?

trailwagger
    Free Member

If you have Prime (there isn’t a prime thread) then check out a movie called Jexi. Very funny film about a guy who lives on his mobile phone.

jon1973
    Free Member

Just started watching Locke & Key. Looking really good.

woody2000

Just finished The Stranger, it’s 5/10 from me.  Maybe I missed something important somewhere as I got to the end thinking that the other plot strands were somehow completely irrelevant, filler material.  Enjoyed Paul Kaye’s performance, not so much everyone else.

When I finally get back online (thanks Vodafone ya shower a shyte), we’re going to give Sex Ed a whirl

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, Paul Kaye was very good, the rest passable, decent filler.

fasthaggis

Finally got around to watching Marriage Story, don’t know if this is just the way that some arty American couples come apart but I found them (and the kid) all a bit annoying . I also didn’t think Laura Dern was anything special.

rone

Stranger was poor in the end. Too many threads, too much exposition, too much Grange Hill kids running around.

Lack of focus of central plot and some cheesy dialogue lost me.

zilog6128

If you have Prime (there isn’t a prime thread)

I’m assuming “Netflix” is just idiomatic now for “streaming service”. 😃 So I suggest “The Righteous Gemstones” on Now TV/Sky. One of the best series I’ve seen for a long time, I didn’t think Danny McBride could top Eastbound & Down but maybe now he has! John Goodman really good in it too.

GRAEMEJONES

Bad day for the cut. A revenge/thriller type film, filmed on location in Northern Ireland.

tenfoot

I thought Stranger started well, but ended up a bit ITV

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Just finished The Stranger.

Some good acting (Siobhan Finneran as the detective, Brandon Fellows as the Alpaca-killing chubby lad) but some quite terrible bits too:

– the action scenes were just awful, terrible, laughable. Grange Hill at best.
    – the plot was silly and I still don’t understand why scruffy cop shot Jennifer Saunders
    – there was basically only a plot because either people didn’t tell each other what was going on, for some inexplicable reason, or just plain lied to each other, for no obvious reason. Apart from these two things there wasn’t really a plot.
    – the happy family scenes were cringe-worthy and implausible.
    – the end was also silly and daft.

Overall, I’m glad it’s over and the missus can move on.

Sui
    Free Member

<spoiler>

the plot was silly and I still don’t understand why scruffy cop shot Jennifer Saunders

because she was about to expose the blackmailers (to her friend the cop), which in turn would have exposed the dodgy investor and then in return he wouldn’t have got the money for the treatment his kid didn’t need..

<Spoiler>

hols2
    Free Member

I started watching The Righteous Gemstones. It was a bit too over the top, so I didn’t stick with it, great cast working really well together though.

Currently watching 68 Whiskey, which is vaguely M.A.S.H. blended with Catch 22, and Avenue 5 – Hugh Laurie, Josh Gad, and a bunch of other excellent actors playing clueless fools adrift on a space cruise ship. I got a bit sick of Hugh Laurie recently, but I’m enjoying this.

rone

Overall, I’m glad it’s over and the missus can move o

I feel your pain – we have upstairs/downstairs netflix for that.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 3,831 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.