Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 3,891 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

The last great film of the decade?

Hope so.

Will really try and get to the limited cinema release for this. This cast and story is big screen though.

3.5 hrs long!

I can’t wait to see ‘The Irishman’ early reviews have been good, torn between whether the deaging tech is great or distracting and whether it’s an epic or a bit too long.

I’ve decided not to watch it at the cinema, at 3.5 hours it’s just too long for me, add in the usual 30-45 mins of ads and trailers and I can’t see me sitting still for that long, however good it is. I’ll watch it at home and take an Interval in the middle.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Just finished season 2 of Mindhunter. Think Season 1 was slightly better but both really interesting

I re-discovered Mindhunter a few weeks ago, I watched S1E1 when it was first released and for whatever reason it didn’t work for me, I think it was probably my Wife moaning and chatting through it because she didn’t want to watch it probably. Anyway I went back to it and loved both series. I even like the ‘soap opera’ elements of it.

mahalo

watched ‘Living with yourself’ fan of both Rudd & Aisling Bea and the premise sounded good but it never really went anywhere. tripe.

rone

. I’ll watch it at home and take an Interval in the middle

Sounds wise but I sat through Silence without much issue and that was quite long.

Got to find an arty cinema that’s showing it. Maybe Sheffield.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Not Netflix but Prime. Binged on Jack Ryan Season 1 and now enjoying 2 just as much. Trying to savour this one more slowly because 8 episodes fly by. Good popcorn stuff with spies and Noomi Rapace.

chakaping
    Free Member

Will try that cheers MR.

Need more decent quality brain-out entertainment after finishing Man In The High Castle on there.

batfink
    Free Member

Just finished Jack Ryan Season 2: Meh. I mean, it was never going to be Le Carre, but it was fairly dire, and not as good as the first one. Goliath (all 3 seasons) is excellent though.

nicko74

I’m working through Patriot on Prime. The OH managed about 1.5 episodes before checking out, but I’m keeping it going. It’s… not bad, with a few wry chuckles.
    I was also watching PEaky Blinders but couldn’t really stick at it – I didn’t care enough about the characters tbh

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Prime…. South Park Season 23 – Randy Marsh as a pot farmer.

Netflix….Bojack Horseman – new season out.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m working through Patriot on Prime. The OH managed about 1.5 episodes before checking out, but I’m keeping it going. It’s… not bad, with a few wry chuckles.

I really liked s1 of it, I’d forgotten most of what happened by the time s2 was released though and didn’t really get back into it so bailed after a couple of episodes – might give it another go though

rone

I know it’s not perhaps the point of it but I would’ve like to see more on his life and how he ended up there at the start and more of a conclusion as well.

I really liked they didn’t do the typical ‘crash’ beginning.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Living with yourself started promising, but has fizzled out 5 episodes in. Apart from Aisling Bea, who is bloody lovely. 🙂

toby1

Rick and Morty is coming back (season 4), but Channel 4 have the options on it, so will be ages before Netflix have it.

I want to go to froopy land!

nickc

I thought The King was terrible, in a cliche driven sub-Shakespearean way. The characters were literally drawn from the parts bin. Here; the reluctant King, there the grasping Bishop, here the Mad French Pretender to the throne, does he care soley about fashion and speak with an outrageous accent…Why yes, yes he does. Is there a two faced advisor,? Tick. And a loyal and doomed grizzled old campaigner who speaks only in homilies? Gotcha.

It was as accurate as an episode of Blackadder, but without the decent script. At least you can play Spot the mobile phone mast…

hols2
    Free Member

I’ve been enjoying Stumptown, nothing groundbreaking or thought provoking, but decent cast doing an entertaining take on police procedural.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Just finished Jack Ryan Season 2: Meh. I mean, it was never going to be Le Carre

When I said ‘popcorn’ I meant easy on the smoothbrain.

I also have a weird ability to enjoy Prison Break as well as The Seventh Seal, depending on mood of course 😎

Haven’t seen Goliath, thought about it but for some reason BBT gets up the collective household nose. I did like him in A Simple Plan though. Maybe will give it a try.

Back to Netflix – enjoyed ‘Ozark’. And ‘Making A Murderer’

Aisling Bea, who is bloody lovely.

Smelly feet

fasthaggis

I can’t wait to see ‘The Irishman’ early reviews have been good, torn between whether the deaging tech is great or distracting and whether it’s an epic or a bit too long.

I’ve decided not to watch it at the cinema, at 3.5 hours it’s just too long for me, add in the usual 30-45 mins of ads and trailers and I can’t see me sitting still for that long, however good it is. I’ll watch it at home and take an Interval in the middle.

Yup,I had thought the same when I saw it was a 3.5 hour runtime . That’s a heavy investment if you end up sitting close to any students cinema cretins, but I now have a cunning plan in place of how to time my challenge. Also looking forward to the Netflix viewing (s) .

hols2
    Free Member

Haven’t seen Goliath,

It could have been good, but it just ended up being silly.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Looking forward to The Irishman.

Mindhunter S2 has been some of the best content I’ve seen in years.

Again, not Netflix but Prime, but The Longest Day in Chang’an is an absolutely unexpected delight. Terrorism, espionage, politics, murder, war, gangsters, slavery depicted over one day; 24 it is not, thankfully.

Anyone else watching it?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’d seen Mindhunter recommended several times but didn’t really feel the appeal, watched the first episode and I could take it or leave it at that point but stuck with it and it really grabbed me, one of the best thing I’ve seen in a while.

rone

Just made the trip to see the Irishman in a cinema before it hits Netflix.

Actually quite disappointed. The talent involved doesn’t really make it on to the screen.

Decent performances as you would expect but the script is just lacking a dynamic. Scenes and emotions just don’t connect. Has a TV movie vibe about it with little flair or craft. I also found it somewhat confusing too.

I had dialed my expectations down because of the fact this film is a meditation on age as much as anything. And actually that’s the most successful bit – I really enjoyed the last hour where things start to wind down rather than the ‘gangster’ scenes which felt clumsy and lacking direction.

I didn’t have a problem with the de-aging. I think too much has been said about so you have a tendency to focus on it but actually I thought it was quite an achievement – if not perfect.

Music, camerawork and editing are all pegged back.

De-Niro and Pesci come out on top, with Pacino not really adding much in my opinion but I think this is the fault of the script that doesn’t give them great scenes to play off each other.

Certainly not the last great film of the decade I thought it would be!

I will definitely watch this again on Netflix on the 27th. Kudos to Netflix and Scorsese for pushing various boundaries of cinema though.

For almost 3.5 hrs it didn’t seem that long to be fair.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Trollhunter popped up on my list, cheesy take on Blair witch which doesn’t take itself too seriously. Now planning a holiday to the artic circle.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Just want to say The Crown is one of the best things ever made for TV. Everything about it brilliant. Nearly finished the new series.

toby1

*Prime* The latest episode of Mr Robot was pure class, following on from the recent near silent episode. Story telling at its best.

ransos
    Free Member

Just want to say The Crown is one of the best things ever made for TV. Everything about it brilliant. Nearly finished the new series.

The acting is great and it’s beautifully produced, but increasingly it feels like an overblown melodrama to me. And the exposition dialogue scenes (e.g. the conversations between Wilson and the Queen) just don’t ring true.

mahalo

really need to catch up with Mr Robot, not seen past S1.

Really need to start on The Crown.

not flix or prime, but really enjoyed The Cockfields on Gold.

only 3 episodes, but solid subtle comedy, not as alternative as you might expect from Philomena Cunk and Joe Wilkinson, just good wholesome tele.

trailwagger
    Free Member

The acting is great and it’s beautifully produced, but increasingly it feels like an overblown melodrama to me. And the exposition dialogue scenes (e.g. the conversations between Wilson and the Queen) just don’t ring true.

Maybe not but there is plenty of poetic licence I think.

Episode 2 about Aberfan was particularly well done.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Watched Ep1 of the new series at the weekend. I’m torn, I can’t tell whether the characters have changed to represent their changing attitudes / world in the years between series, or the new actors are doing it differently, or the writers have just changed them.

In previous series and in other more modern depictions of the Queen she’s usually forward thinking and accepting of change, maybe it’s just Ep1 but she’s become a bit Gammony, I suppose we all do to a certain extent when we get older, can’t tell if it’s good or bad really ha ha.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Episode 2 about Aberfan was particularly well done.

Going to watch that tonight I think, some of it was filmed at the end of my road (Whitchurch Hospital) so if it crap I can play the old “I know where that is” game like we used to with Doctor Who.

rone

The Irishman is up.

Interested in people’s views in the home after my luke-warm cinema experience.

chakaping
    Free Member

Very much enjoyed Dolomite Is My Name.

Funny and uplifting, but not very family friendly. Eddie Murphy can be very charismatic when he wants to.

footflaps

We’ve just finished Season 1 of Jessica Jones, mainly watched it for David Tennant. Not bad, but not amazing. Not sure if we’ll start Season 2 – any good?

We watched the three English episodes of Criminal and a couple of the French ones, but lost interest. OK ish.

drlex
    Free Member

^unless you’re a fan of Carrie-Anne Moss, I wouldn’t bother. It also develops the Trish/Patsy character, but I found her almost as unsympathetic as the lead. I’ve given up on S3 as it just gets worse IMO.

tenfoot

Enjoyed series 3 but I never really warmed to Helena Bonham Carter’s Princess Margaret. Vanessa Kirby did such a great job in the preceding two series, that she is a hard act to follow.

The Aberfan epsisode. for me, was the stand-out episode of series 3.

rone

The Aberfan epsisode. for me, was the stand-out episode of series 3.

Agreed. That episode did a lot dramatically, and with a lot of silence.

The cinematography was amazing. The pre-credit scene was bathed in shards of sun against the rain. Gave a real sense of dread.

plus-one

The Irishman was ok I thought not great. I couldn’t stop wondering what was up with De Niro’s eyes some sort of colored contacts or something?

oldnpastit

Season 4 of The Expanse is coming in December apparently.

RicB

Also disappointed by Jack Ryan S2; the writing was very much by the numbers. Likeable characters though.

Just finished watching Helix. Erm yes. S1 was quite good, a bit bonkers in places but overall quite enjoyable. S2 started ok then just went utterly out of control. Can see why S3 wasn’t commissioned!

rone

. I couldn’t stop wondering what was up with De Niro’s eyes some sort of colored contacts or something

You’re seeing some of the artefacts of CGI de-aging that’s not quite right.

Houns

Watched the Irishman yesterday, 3.5 hours of my life I’m not getting back.

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 3,891 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.