Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Netflix Discrimination
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

How can they get away with providing a reduced service to the whole of Europe but still charge the same subscription as the rest of the world who are getting the full service?

We should all cancel our subscriptions immediately! Whos with me?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mehhhhhhh…………..

As it says, it’ll likely only impact the 4k service.

Blame your ISP for selling you a broadband package it can’t deliver, it’s not Netflix’s infrastructure that’s the problem.

tenfoot

Presume this is a joke.

If not – nose ….spite….face

the-muffin-man

My wife can’t tell the difference between SD and 4K – ‘it all looks the same to me’!

#firstworldproblems

Drac

Blame your ISP for selling you a broadband package it can’t deliver, it’s not Netflix’s infrastructure that’s the problem.

It’s not the ISPs that are reducing the quality.

I’m not bothered I’ll still watch it.

Plus.

Customers who pay for ultra-high definition 4K movies as part of their subscription will still be able to watch 4K films.

richmtb

Customers who pay for ultra-high definition 4K movies as part of their subscription will still be able to watch 4K films.

Woohoo.

The rest of you plebs with your basic subscription just need to suck it up 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

#firstworldnonproblems

Matt24k
    Free Member

I presume this is a poor attempt at trolling.
    If it is not…….
    FFS GET A GRIP OF THE ACTUAL ISSUES WE FACE!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is the OP the guy saying anyone who goes out on their bike is a prick in the CV riding thread?

IdleJon

Is the OP the guy saying anyone who goes out on their bike is a prick in the CV riding thread?

Yes he is.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Yep, the very same. Hi.

Edit, and whats your point?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you’re not watching netflix whilst working from home, and you’re not going out on your bike, what are you going to be watching………………….

It’s not the ISPs that are reducing the quality.

But it is their infrastructure forcing the issue.

Presumably there must be some clever stuff they can do to reduce their overall bandwidth before they actually drop the bitrate of the files. I’m thinking things like reducing the buffering to eliminate things like people starting to watch a 2 hour film, it buffering the whole thing and them stopping after 5 minutes (not an engineer at Netflix, just hypothesizing that a 25% reduction in bandwidth might not actually precipitate a 25% drop in bitrate).

scruff9252

The reduction in bandwidth is to allow for the increase in demand with folk working from home to keep the country chugging along right?

If so the alternative could equally be just to prevent streaming services during the 9-5 working week.

That would be much worse!

trailwagger
    Free Member

BT say they are operating well within capacity.

joshvegas
    Free Member

keep the country chugging along right?

You can chugg along to netflix? Which show?

jimdubleyou

I suspect it’s Netflix’s infrastructure being unable to serve a 10 fold* increase in traffic

* a guess, based on how many homeworkers are being support at my work

rone

Their price and delivery will be based on a certain demand within certain territories.

They didn’t see this one coming.

So they could either hike the price and invest like mad – or they could throttle the stream which they sort of do already anyway, just more aggressively.

As you were.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Which show?

That one with Gillian Anderson and the courgette.

CraigW
    Free Member

Yes, it will be ‘4K’, but with more compression, so lower bitrates. Not much point having loads of pixels if all just turns to mush.
    Could look much worse than a decent 4K Bluray.

molgrips
    Free Member

Seems like a reasonable thing to me. You can live without your crystal clear 4k and watch frightful HD instead whilst the world reels from a global pandemic.

Guessing that capacity is ok *now* but as soon as kids are off demand for bandwidth will soar as they sit around playing games and watching YouTube all day.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Could look much worse than a decent 4K Bluray.

To show my deepfelt sympathy for your predicament, he’re a low bitrate .gif to get your eyes re-accustomed to 480 lines and 16-bit colour.

null

daveylad
    Free Member

Yes saw this and have dropped packages. No point in paying for something you don’t get, although the odd bunch on here don’t seem to mind.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In other TV news, everyone I know in TV production seems to have been laid off this week.

The one remaining is filming on Ambulances and the crew just got given a 4-pack of bog roll as a thank-you!

CraigW
    Free Member

Disney+ is half the price of Netflix premium. Seems like a better value option.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Let it go, LET IT GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I suppose it’s an option if you’re not working from home and hate whoever’s looking after the kids 🤣

martinhutch

Let it go, LET IT GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Can I get that through a conventional aerial?

Picture quality isn’t a problem, snow never bothered me anyway.

Drac

Picture quality isn’t a problem, snow never bothered me anyway.

Drac

Yes saw this and have dropped packages. No point in paying for something you don’t get, although the odd bunch on here don’t seem to mind.

I’m still receiving a shit load of TV better than any none streaming service.

rone

With a tiny fraction of content….

rone

In other TV news, everyone I know in TV production seems to have been laid off this week.

We’re still in post production for Discovery.

Drac

Have you seen the list? It’s huge.

MrPottatoHead

Worth pointing out that Netflix were pretty much asked to do this. I’m not sure it was their choice to offer a compromised service.

“The announcement came after a phone call with European officials.”

rone

Have you seen the list? It’s huge.

Well if you strike off Star Wars related guff because we’ve seen them umpteen times.

The Marvel stuff most of us have seen. (Which I do like but own/seen already)

Disney pretty much the same, lots of filler and repeat.

It’s by definition limited to the stuff Disney owns which is largely old.

Not really aimed at me this one unless there’s something fresh on there I’ve missed.

maccruiskeen

Waves, along with around 170,000 others apparently

We’re still in post production for Discovery.

What are you going to be post producing in a few months time?

rone

What are you going to be post producing in a few months time?

Who knows. But that’s fairly normal for us.

We’ve got 25 programmes to finish.

Better than nowt.

martinhutch

Yeah, I looked at what they have, and unless you have young kids, I’ve seen most of it already. I can already go on a bit of a SW or Marvel binge just with DVDs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Netflix Discrimination’ is closed to new replies.