Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • Netflix – Any good?
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

Chromecast and couchtuner. You’re welcome.

copa
    Free Member

you only have to live in a country without an equivalent to realise what a national institution it is

Which nation is that? Because if you live in Wales or Scotland, the majority of what you see and hear is from a neighbouring country.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Fair enough I stand corrected there! Still, I don’t think I owe the BBC a living.

convert

Which nation is that? Because if you live in Wales or Scotland, the majority of what you see and hear is from a neighbouring country.

The states. You could try turning it into a UK regional/devolution thing if you want but I also happen to think it does a pretty good job at that too (live in Scotland for part of the year – I’d feel more marginalised if I lived in Cornwall that I do in the Scottish highlands).

convert

chrishc777 – you didn’t actually think the BBC even had commercial adverts did you? Really?

nealglover
    Free Member

…..Still, I don’t think I owe the BBC a living.

If you want to watch live TV, in the uk. Then you do I’m afraid.

Watch catchup/downloaded stuff and you don’t have to give the BBC anything.

molgrips
    Free Member

Which nation is that?

Er, The UK? Do you not know where you live?

Because if you live in Wales or Scotland, the majority of what you see and hear is from a neighbouring country.

I live in Wales, and most of what I watch is either Welsh or British, so I don’t agree. Separatist troll.

binners

We’re half way through Narco, which is bloody Brilliant! Also loved Better Call Saul, and bloodline is the best telly in years. They’ve got a lot of great documentaries too.

If you’ve got kids then it’s worth its weight in gold. Mine just go to Netflix by default, and Theres loads of brilliant series for then to get into

chrishc777
    Free Member

chrishc777 – you didn’t actually think the BBC even had commercial adverts did you? Really?

As I said I don’t watch it, so wouldn’t know, just thought it did.

If you want to watch live TV, in the uk. Then you do I’m afraid.

As above I don’t watch live TV so don’t feel that I owe them a living as an above poster was suggesting

nealglover
    Free Member

As above I don’t watch live TV so don’t feel that I owe them a living as an above poster was suggesting

If you don’t watch any BBC output at all (streamed or as broadcast)
    And you don’t listen to any BBC radio at all.
    And you don’t use any BBC web content at all.

Then yes I can imagine why you would feel you don’t owe them a living.

I very much doubt that’s the case though.

Drac

As I said before though, that doesn’t hold true if you’re outside the UK.

Yes but you don’t pay a licence fee outside the UK.

I’m lost me.

thomthumb
    Free Member

haven’t watched anything in months on netflix.

should really cancel the subscription 🙁

convert

You are either 5 years old or have just arrived here from another country/planet. I just hope you don’t bother voting if your ignorance of, well, stuff, extends beyonds nonsense like this.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Yes but you don’t pay a licence fee outside the UK.

I really wish you could.
    With a little savvy, there are ways to get iplayer if you live abroad – but I’ve always found it a bit of a faff. I’d rather be able to pay 100 quid a year than mess around finding a reliable free proxy.
    Sure, I could buy a reliable proxy service – but if I’m going to pay for it, I’d much rather the cash went to the beeb.

bensales
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    I do wonder how much longer ‘broadcast TV’ is going to be relevant, with on-demand viewing becoming increasingly ubiquitous. I wonder if tomorrow’s kids will look at the concept of fixed, scheduled channels to be as ancient as how we’d consider a TV with a single rotary tuner.

Cos if that happens, Auntie Beeb is knackered.

This is already the case. My 6 year old son is borderline, but my 2 year ild daughter has absolutely no concept of having to wait for something to be shown. She just assumes that everything is instantly available of whatever she wants to watch. And for the most part, with Amazon Prime, Netflix, and iPlayer, we’re covered.

chrishc777
    Free Member

You are either 5 years old or have just arrived here from another country/planet. I just hope you don’t bother voting if your ignorance of, well, stuff, extends beyonds nonsense like this.

Wahey! Luckily the right to vote doesn’t yet depend on the amount of tele you watch.

Also yes, I did live in another country for the most part of my adult life.

convert

Wahey! Luckily the right to vote doesn’t yet depend on the amount of tele you watch.

Also yes, I did live in another country for the most part of my adult life.

It’s nothing to do with the amount of telly you watch – just basic ignorance! It’s not so much if you see adverts on the BBC but how the national broadcaster is funded. I’m just amazed any sentient British adult would not know stuff like that. But if you have not spent much time in the UK you might be excused!

chrishc777
    Free Member

How would I know how a service I do not use is funded? Only on stw does a discussion on which TV service to subscribe to devolve into strangers calling other strangers ignorant.

On the subject of voting, BNP by any chance?

convert

How would I know how a service I do not use is funded?

Ask some real people over the next few day and find out how much in the minority you are. It could be you are just one of those people who has an incredibly narrow band of knowledge of only the stuff that directly effects you.

Only on stw does a discussion on which TV service to subscribe to devolve into strangers calling other strangers ignorant.

This is true – I was just amazed anyone could know so little – as were others.

On the subject of voting, BNP by any chance?

?

john_drummer
    Free Member

+1 Gotham

chrishc777
    Free Member

Oh dear I’m part of a minority now! How will I survive without knowing who’s doing who on big brother or whatever tat you lot in the ‘majority’ watch these days?

Seriously, it’s Christmas, lighten up a bit

EDIT: Northwind, I was convinced so, but proven wrong, I did acknowledge this. I’m sure you’ve been right in everything you’ve claimed in your entire life then…

Fair enough I stand corrected there!

Northwind

chrishc777 – Member

thought the licence was for bbc and the likes, which defo have adverts

chrishc777 – Member

Just sayin. Probably lots of people don’t know about the BBC, licence fee, adverts etc, but most people who don’t know about things don’t go around saying how they definitely are.

nealglover
    Free Member

I don’t watch much TV, but have known from childhood that you don’t get adverts on the BBC.

Seems incredible to me that there is anyone, that’s spent any time at all in the UK, that doesn’t know this.

(I also don’t believe there is an Adult in the UK that doesn’t use any BBC TV or Radio at all)

jimjam
    Free Member

nealglover

(I also don’t believe there is an Adult in the UK that doesn’t use any BBC TV or Radio at all)

I don’t (willingly) listen to any BBC radio, and I’m really struggling to think of any tv shows I think are worth paying for. I don’t imagine I am in a unique or special minority here. As online, on demand services gain traction traditional broadcast TV is pandering more and more towards the lowest common denominator, ie shit.

nealglover
    Free Member

I don’t (willingly) listen to any BBC radio

I didn’t (willingly) spend 6 hours Christmas shopping yesterday, but I still spent a fortune somehow 🙂

I’m really struggling to think of any tv shows I think are worth paying for.

That doesn’t mean you don’t watch some though does it 🙂

As online, on demand services gain traction traditional broadcast TV is pandering more and more towards the lowest common denominator, ie shit.

I wouldn’t say that was true of the BBC personally.

jimjam
    Free Member

nealglover

I didn’t (willingly) spend 6 hours Christmas shopping yesterday, but I still spent a fortune somehow

Unless I’m in a taxi, or a shop or something I don’t listen to any radio. I’ve got 90 something gigs of my own music on my ipod an a load of podcasts I want to listen to on my phone. Radio is just drivel in comparisson (as regards my personal taste)

nealglover
    That doesn’t mean you don’t watch some though does it

No, very true. I’m sure I do watch something. Last night I turned on SPOTY. Turned it off after about five minutes. That was it for BBC programming yesterday.

nealglover

As online, on demand services gain traction traditional broadcast TV is pandering more and more towards the lowest common denominator, ie shit.

[/quote]

BBC are slightly less guilty of it than the other big broadcasters when taken as a whole but honestly I think a huge amount of it is drivel. The One Show, Strictly, Bake Off….I have no interest in any of that tat or the guff in between it. News has been dumbed down so much it’s painful to watch sometimes.

v8ninety

I really don’t understand the rabid ‘don’t watch or listen to the BBC’ brigade. Radio wise, R1 and 2 provide at least as good a quality of broadcasting as any commercial station, but WITHOUT ADs (which is what really sells it for me) R3 I have no real experience of, but it provides yet more variety. R4 (whilst far from perfect) is UNPARALLELED in the audio broadcast world, there’s literally nothing that compares to it. Then you’ve got the others and DAB. I’m less familiar with the TV channels, but again, NO ADS! Surely a big plus. Not to mention no corporate pay masters. I’ve been to the states, their telly and radio (with notable but rare exception) is absolutely DIRE. Nowt wrong with listening to and watching the commercial stations, they do add to the tapestry, but to declare all BBC as out of bounds is just bizarre, and smacks of either cutting your own nose off to spite your face, or just fibs.

jimjam
    Free Member

v8ninety

I really don’t understand the rabid ‘don’t watch or listen to the BBC’ brigade.

I assume I’m not coming across as rabid because I honestly don’t give a toss about the things I don’t watch, other than not wanting to pay for them. I can’t see why that’s a difficult concept to grasp.

Radio wise, R1 and 2 provide at least as good a quality of broadcasting as any commercial station,

Just out of curiosity, what exactly would a grown man listen to on R1? or Radio 2 for that matter?

R4 (whilst far from perfect) is UNPARALLELED in the audio broadcast world, there’s literally nothing that compares to it.

I’ve never listened to it. Ever. I genuinely have no idea what’s on it.

Drac

Just out of curiosity, what exactly would a grown man listen to on R1? or Radio 2 for that matter?

Music. I can’t see why it’s a difficult concept to grasp.

jimjam
    Free Member

Drac
    Music.

If you can call it that.

I can’t see why it’s a difficult concept to grasp.

Because the vast majority of people are able to listen to or broadcast anything THEY want, virtually anywhere at any time.

iolo
    Free Member

I enjoyed both series of Dusk till dawn.

molgrips
    Free Member

traditional broadcast TV is pandering more and more towards the lowest common denominator, ie shit.

It’s not even allowed to do it, according to its charter. Not all the time anyway.

As for being the majority – no thanks. Still watch BBC though. It’s almost as if some posters here are trying to use non-conformity as a differentiator, to identify themselves as above the rest. You rebellious teenagers, you 😉

Re BBC – show me anything else that’s as good as BBC4 for documentaries, and I’ll watch it. Not found anything though.

Drac

If you can call it that.

Alright Grandad?

chrishc777
    Free Member

Spotify provides a much better service than radio in my opinion, very very rarely can I not find an artist I’m looking for on there, and I can save the tracks and listen to them when out riding or in the car etc.

That’s my opinion, a lot of people enjoy radio shows and chatter and for them Spotify would be pretty useless. I have pretty weird and random taste in music and don’t enjoy listening to chat shows and the like, so radio doesn’t really appeal to me. It’s just good that there’s a choice I think.

jimjam
    Free Member

Drac

Alright Grandad?

Currently playing on Radio 2

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxuY9FET9Y4[/video]

and Radio 1

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_KfnGBtVeA[/video]

If not liking the same kind of music as my 13 year old niece makes me a grandad I can live with that 😉

Drac

So not your taste then.

I can’t stream music when at work so I listen to the radio when driving.

v8ninety

Doesn’t really prove a thing though, does it? Radio station plays great and also not so great music shocker. (But without adverts)

Never listened to Radio 4

Maybe you should. It’s a grower.

iolo
    Free Member

Chris Needs on radio Wales is worth the license fee alone.

jimjam
    Free Member

Drac

So not your taste then.

Not quite. Listening to a teenager singing “call me baby” or some such doesn’t really resonate with me.

v8ninety

doesnt really prove a thing though, does it? afa no station plays great and also not so great music shocker.

My radio station consistently plays music or podcasts I want to listen to. Imagine that.

v8ninety

My radio station consistently plays music or podcasts I want to listen to. Imagine that.

I hear you, and that is indeed attractive to someone who has very definite and established musical tastes, and has no interest in listening to stuff that he/she wouldn’t normally listen to.

Serious question; Music is t a massive thing to me, I enjoy it, but it has no greater relevance to my life than a pleasant back ground noise most of the time. I appreciate that I am probably in a minority with this. However, my musical tastes were formed mostly by listening to radio of all different flavours, both here and abroad. If you only ever listen to music that you have chosen by writing your own playlists, do you not worry that you’re missing out on music that you may enjoy, but just never hear?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Netflix – Any good?’ is closed to new replies.