Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Nespresso
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Original or Vertuo?

The machines seem to be about the same price, but the pods for the Vertuo seem quite expensive in comparison. Is it worth the extra, especially given that you seem to have to go direct to Nespresso for the the Vertuo pods.

wooksterbo

I had the original for about 8 years. Faultless until then but wanted a larger coffee and the machine developed a small leak. Got the vertuo last August, great coffee but I’m on my third machine as previous 2 developed leaks in different places. I hope this one lasts a decent amount of time but I won’t hold my breathe.

Edit: Nespresso sorted out the replacements quickly.

FuzzyWuzzy

As above – depends on the coffee style you want. The original produces espressos (some may argue otherwise :p ) so if you want a longer coffee you either need to boil some water separately or get a machine with a milk attachment for lattes etc. I have an original (with milk attachment) but if were buying again now would get a Vertuo – although if aftermarket pods aren’t available for it yet it could be pricey to run if you drink a lot of coffee. Although I’d say if you do drink a lot of coffee you’re better off with a bean-to-cup machine if you can stretch to one.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Something that doesn’t waste resources?

tjagain

Cafetiere. less waste.

thols2

Well, I’m sold.

winston
    Free Member

You can buy compostable pods now. My wife uses a company called Grind (fnaarr).

personally I find nespresso doesn’t taste that great and prefer an aeropress – its cheaper, quicker and doesn’t break

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

prefer an aeropress – its cheaper, quicker and doesn’t break

Well I agree on the cheaper bit but I’d go so far as to say the quicker bit is because your machine is broken or vice versa. A nespresso takes about 30 seconds to produce.

Taste wise it very much is personal, can’t say I’m a huge fan of nespresso (or least ways the ones I’ve tried) but it does produce a quick convenient and consistent shot of coffee every time. That is something it’s very easy to be a fan of.

Iirc from last time I looked Vertuo vs original is very much down to how you like your coffee. Seemed to come down to, if you just want a coffee, no frills, original every time and there’s a huge range of suppliers offering masses of options these days.
    Vertuo if you like your coffee anything other than just coffee, it offered something more like a tassimo type range of things. I imagine the range of options will eventually catch up with the original but it’ll be a while.

theotherjonv

I’m a big fan of my aeropress which gets used 2-3 times every day but it’s not an espresso substitute. And a cafetiere certainly isn’t.

You can argue that neither is a Nespresso, and as regards taste, of course YMMV but with 100’s of pods and varieties I don’t think anyone can really say ‘it doesn’t taste that great’ – it’s either just not your style, which is fine, or you haven’t found the right pod yet.

In the end is it ‘as good’ as a proper pumped through ground espresso machine, probably not. And if espresso isn’t your thing or you’re going to water it down or make a milky drink from it you probably won’t benefit from it either. But if convenience, reproducability without faff, and being able to swallow your anti-big corp pride is what you’re after, I reckon it’s perfectly good.

(yes, I have one)

madhouse

We went with the Original as there’s more coffee available for it. By that I mean more varieties from Nespresso as well as more options from third parties.

Nespresso (and some others too) do pod recycling too.

toby1

We have a Virtuo style machine at work, that makes a coffee then s**ts half a cup of needless foam onto the aforementioned coffee, just when you think it’s stopped, there’s yet more. Unless pressed for time I use the Mokka master or a French press.

As for home, I have no nespresso options or opinions.

sharkbait
    Free Member

By that I mean more varieties from Nespresso as well as more options from third parties.

I’ll say!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61343037

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.