Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Nespresso pods
  • tails
    Free Member

I’m going to get one of those nespresso things for Xmas as it suits me perfectly. I’m sure I read on here about a refillable metal pod? Just in case anyone is bristling for an argument I’m not interested in a gaggia etc my taste buds just ain’t that good! 😆

zilog6128

surely the faff of that defeats the purpose of a nespresso machine?

Kryton57

…and a quick google reveals they get terrible reviews…

cookeaa

“Nespresso what else” that’s their current slogan innit?

Kettle and a Cafetière perhaps?

Do the world a favour hold back from giving the Evil nestle more money for a product you don’t need. Apparently for every unit they shift the sales team get to pour acid on a child from a Brazillian slum by way of a celebration.

Why not spend the money you would have wasted on a machine for yuppie **** on some proper coffee instead…

http://www.hasbean.co.uk

jonke
    Free Member

Or a Lavazza a modo mio. Slightly less politically incorrect, same ease of use and the pods are (a bit) cheaper and more widely available.

tails
    Free Member

surely the faff of that defeats the purpose of a nespresso machine?

That’s a fair point!! I’ll have a look at lavazzas offering tomorrow.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

So what exactly is wrong with nespresso.

From my point of view and having worked for a German coffee chain, I find them great. The coffee tastes nice and is quick. As much as I would love a cafetiere every morning to do it right takes far too long. I have an espresso maker for the gas hob, again takes far too long in the morning. Filter coffee is just shite.

Just wondering what the aversion is? Or hatred?

tails
    Free Member

My thoughts exactly ashley. It falls into three camps:

1 – They dislike Nestle.
    2 – They are highly trained barista.
    3 – Standard STW pillock.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Tails 😀

jonke
    Free Member

What is wrong with nestle?

i am obviously a standard stw pillock…..

Queue a riposte about there being 2 sides to the story blah blah 🙄

blurty

I’ve been using one of thr Krupp Nespresso machines for a few years. Excellent, used every day. tastes great, no problems

Shibboleth
    Free Member

+1. I have a Magimix with milk frothy thingy. It’s great, only downside is the side of the brew. I like a builder’s mug of coffee so I have to double-tap my cappuccinos.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Why not spend the money you would have wasted on a machine for yuppie **** on some proper coffee instead…

You said yuppy hahahahaha. Hello this is the 1990’s can we have our word back please.

I wouldn’t bother with refillable pods just but the real thing from those nasty chaps at nestle. The nespresso machine really does make very nice coffee with no fuss. And agree that the magimix froth is fantastic.

Kryton57

Ohh. Nestle make Baby Formula to help mothers with Breastfeeding issues, Mother’s can possibly abuse the Formula / it can be misused, therefore lets stop ordering Nespresso.

AKA

I fell off my MTB two years again and shattered my shoulder. I’m still having issues, so I’ve decided to sue Gary Fisher and stop buying anything bike releated again.

Sigh

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Got one last year on STW reccomdation.

After using the orginal big box of pods, I ordered when buying the machine,I haven’t bought any more. The machine has now sat on my work top gathering dust since the spring.

Nowt wrong with the coffee, just a pain getting/buying new pods for it.

andytherocketeer

4 – I just want to pick up my coffee, of varying brands, in the supermarket when I buy everything else, without having to have my coffee drinking profiled by the coffee equivalent of Apple/Facebook.

wwaswas

I believe the patent on the pods runs out shortly so choice should widen.

Having said that other than price I can’t see why you’d look outside what Nespresso themselves offer. I order 2 or 3 hundred capsules at a time and don’t pay postage.

Kryton57

Nowt wrong with the coffee, just a pain getting buying new pods for it.

Internet, click Buy, pods turn up the next day, recycle pods for free.

Whats a pain about it?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

How much is 2/3 hundred pods ?

andytherocketeer

When the local supermarket stocks it, I’ll consider it.

Assume the delivery ends up at the post office? If so… 20min queue and 10mins or so walk to the post office once a fortnight is certainly much quicker than picking up a packet of Lavazza or Illy, so I certainly could consider that. Saves me €7.30 (x2) for a trip to the local Nespresso store (on a Saturday, since they close too early for after work trip).

Fix that, and they’ll have more sales.

wwaswas

How much is 2/3 hundred pods

They’re about 30p each.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with the coffee, just a pain getting buying new pods for it.

Ordered 250 pods on the nespresso site last week, took about 60 seconds.

Kryton57

Andytherocketeer, they use UPS to deliver to your door.

rockhopperbike

ordered loads of pods- they have an offer for a free milk froffer thing- worth a look

mrblobby
    Free Member

When the local supermarket stocks it, I’ll consider it.

Not tried them but if I was buying I’d certainly look at the lavazza one as pods can be picked up at the supermarket (or at least in waitrose.) Machine looks pretty cool too.

Edit: at approximately 24p a pod.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

walk to the post office once a fortnight

I ordered a 6 month supply. Ordering a two weeks supply would be daft.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Kry… I know but it’ll probably mean logging in and therefore not knowing my password ..etc etc

+

See 30p a pod doesn’t sound too bad and was one of the factors in me orginally getting it…. But shelling out £60 a go for coffee … you can forcoffee… 😆

Hence why it’s gathering dust… stupid, I know… but there you go, my experience with Nespresso.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

ashleydwsmith – Member
    So what exactly is wrong with nespresso.

From my point of view and having worked for a German coffee chain, I find them great. The coffee tastes nice and is quick. As much as I would love a cafetiere every morning to do it right takes far too long. I have an espresso maker for the gas hob, again takes far too long in the morning. Filter coffee is just shite.

Just wondering what the aversion is? Or hatred?

POSTED 3 DAYS AGO # REPORT-POST

Nothing Wrong with it, but I personally wouldn’t as I have time to make proper coffee. Its the coffee equivalent of a microwave dinner.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I ordered a 6 month supply. Ordering a two weeks supply would be daft.

So the coffee is potentially 6-8months old when you get to use it? 😡

wwaswas

Its the coffee equivalent of a microwave dinner.

I prefer it to my previous ‘proper’ machine as the results are so consistent and the coffee itself doesn’t go off before it’s used.

andytherocketeer

Its the coffee equivalent of a microwave dinner.

I think of it more as the closest we’ll ever get to a Star Trek food replicator. Guaranteed to bring out the word consistency 😉 I prefer to mix it up and try all different kinds of coffee, with no two the same. Others prefer every single coffee they ever drink to be replicated to within an accuracy of +/-1 molecule of coffee per serving, pretty much like Jean Luc-Picard would get (except I think he was a Tea, Earl Grey, Hot, kid of person?)

woodsman
    Free Member

Loving all these futile arguments, it’s what STW is all about. I like to check in a few times a year to catch the latest ‘hang them’ thread.

back to the thread…I think they are ok, if that’s what floats your boat. Not something I would bother buying myself as I could see it ending up in landfil, if it went wrong/I owned it!

woodsman
    Free Member

Oops – double post

DrJ

So the coffee is potentially 6-8months old when you get to use it?

Yes, but up until one second before you use it it has been vacuum sealed, unlike your (or my, for that matter) can of Lavazza espresso that has been sitting opened on our kitchen shelves for days or weeks before we use it.

zilog6128

I just want to pick up my coffee, of varying brands, in the supermarket when I buy everything else, without having to have my coffee drinking profiled by the coffee equivalent of Apple/Facebook.

Obviously you refuse to use store points cards then.

So the coffee is potentially 6-8months old when you get to use it?

Hermetically sealed, innit

Internet, click Buy, pods turn up the next day, recycle pods for free.

Whats a pain about it?Exactly, it’s got to be the most painless shopping experience ever. Especially compared to some online bike shops I’ve used!

I prefer it to my previous ‘proper’ machine as the results are so consistent

If you’ve got the time/inclination to use it and learn about it then a Gaggia, etc may well be a lot of fun and give you a better espresso. I was at my friend’s house last week and he was showing me his bean-to-cup machine. He didn’t have a clue when all the various dials/adjustments did, nor did he really care. I think for him a Nespresso would have been the better choice – decent result every time, no fuss or brainpower required!

stevomcd
    Free Member

You can get pretty decent Nespresso-compatible pods in the supermarket too. Can’t remember what the brand is called in English (same logo in France, different name) but it’s one of the big coffee brands.

I reckon original Nespresso ones are better, but there’s not a big difference.

The supermarket ones can work out slightly cheaper as well because (in France at least) there’s always a “money off your next purchase” voucher in each pack.

I prefer to get a big load of Nespresso ones delivered, but if I’ve run out or didn’t get round to it, I’ll just grab the supermarket ones.

Nonsense
    Free Member

I’ve got a cafetiere, gaggia, senseo, stove top and a nespresso. The nespresso gets used by far the most as its easy and the coffee it produces is really nice. If I had the time at 6am to faff about with the gaggia then I would. But I can’t be arsed because the nespresso is great.

mrchrispy

I grow my own beans in the hydroponic chamber, I then hire a nun to pick the beans, then a priest to roast them in an oven fired by used 50 euro notes, the coffee is the ground between the bossom of a ex page three model before I brew it using holy water. it’s sublime.

…….OR……

I slap a capsule into the machine and press a button, the biggest hassle is filling it with water.

DaRC_L

😆 mrchrispy
    yep getting the model into the house, past Mrs D, for option 1 was always tricky & I had friends who kept hijacking the hydroponic chamber for nefarious uses.

So she persuaded me that option 2 was better. Plus you get a recycyling bag for the empty pods. So far our average time from order to delivery of new pods is 24 hours.

mrchrispy

I ordered 300 caps on Sunday afternoon (I’m after the free milk frother thingy)
    arrived yesterday morning, crazy good delivery time

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Nespresso pods’ is closed to new replies.