Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Nespresso pods
  • backinireland
    Free Member
    covertbaz
    Free Member

Been using the recently released Starbucks ones, and they’re good. Four different varieties and reasonably priced at around £3.50ish for 10, best thing is you can walk into any shop and pick them up straight away, no waiting for the postie

wwaswas

The stronger CafePods ones are good. They sell them in Waitrose, dontchaknow.

Also use code 20-Off-Feb on their site for 20% off.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I quite like the Taylor’s ones.

Although, I’ve just started using a stainless steel refillable one. The plastic ones just crush but this thing is working well. Working my way through some Morrison’s own brand espresso ground which is drinkable but, I’ll be trying something else next time.

argyle
    Free Member

cafe direct ones off amazon are good value. We go for the green and the purple ones.

Ones i havent liked – taylors, lidl own, coop own

withersea
    Free Member

Also ones are good, but not as good as nespresso. Will also try Starbucks as well.

marrv
    Free Member

pods all going to land fill? what plastic are they made out of?
    I think they are the devil

jp-t853

Home bargains sell the London Coffee Company ones for £1 for ten and they are as good as any of the alternatives. Nespresso is still the best especially noticeable if you drink black coffees

jolmes
    Free Member

@marrv – Nespresso pods are all recyclable but you have to send them back to Nespresso for this.

allthepies
    Free Member

I use the Lidl ones.

marrv
    Free Member

@Jolmes. I wonder if any go back, or make it to the green bin.
    Packaging does my head in to be honest though.
    I suppose you can tap out the used coffee for composting before recycling them. they are still the devils work though.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Nespresso pods are all recyclable but you have to send them back to Nespresso for this.

I’d be fascinated to hear how many people actually do this.

TheFlyingOx

Gourmesso do a decent range of pods, both coffee and tea. Works out about 17p per pod. Aldi have a tiny 2-coffee range but they’re decent, and even cheaper at ~14.5p per pod.

Like marrv, I’m not keen on the environmental impact of endless plastic pods being landfilled. Anywhere you can get refillable/reusable ones and just top up with ground coffee?

argyle
    Free Member

these are compostable pods

Compostable Capsules

Kuco

Only took 7 post to get the coffee pods are evil shit that every Nespresso thread seems to get 😀

sharkbait
    Free Member

I do…. have been doing so for 3 years, it’s easy.

pods all going to land fill? what plastic are they made out of?
    I think they are the devil

I’m sure they think highly of you to. Just one suggestion, if you’re going to start preaching, make sure you know something about the subject first.
    Nespresso pods are 100% aluminium and are therefore 100% infinitely recyclable.

argyle
    Free Member

gray

We have always recycled ours. It couldn’t be much easier. You get a free bag with the pod delivery, when it’s full up you just give them a call and then leave the bag(s) outside your front door. Obviously there’s carbon cost in the collection, but it’s done by normal couriers who presumably have moderately efficient routing.

Kryton57

Been using the recently released Starbucks ones, and they’re good. Four different varieties and reasonably priced at around £3.50ish for 10, best thing is you can walk into any shop and pick them up straight away, no waiting for the postie

+1 – Long time Nespresso pods user and I actually prefer the Starbucks ones!

iamtheresurrection

Starbucks are surprisingly good, given how terrible I find most SBs.

The current favourite in our house are CoOp Espresso pods. Normally drink Nespresso Ristreto and the CoOp are better in my opinion.

I bin all mine. Sorry.

vickypea
    Free Member

I only use Nespresso pods as all the others I’ve tried have been inferior. Especially Rene, which are like dishwater. I’ve recycled every single pod by returning them to Nespresso.

Pods not ideal, but I’m the only coffee drinker at home and only drink 1 or 2 cups per day. I was wasting more coffee than I was drinking when I bought ground coffee, as it would go off before I could finish it.

It’s no excuse to point out other bad alternatives but disposable coffee cups are also evil as they aren’t even recyclable.

Flaperon

I do. It’s not exactly difficult – the bags are free and you just drop them into the local parcel place / newsagent.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I do, as others have said, it’s simple.

ratherbeintobago

I do, as others have said, it’s simple.

+1

I live near enough a Nespresso shop and take the bag of used pods in when I go to buy some new ones.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I’ve tried the Lidl and Co-op a alternatives, but wasn’t too keen. Have some of the Cafepod ones which aren’t too bad.

We recycle the Nespresso pods, but not sure what you can do with the aftermarket ones. Interested to learn more about the reusable pods

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Are they really 33p per pod?
    Haven’t tempted me away from the pot with that one.

vickypea
    Free Member

33p a pod is a lot cheaper than £2 from
    Costa coffee!

johnnystorm

I just bought 10 boxes of 10 Cafepods supercharger lungs from Amazon for £16.50 on prime.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

33p a pod is a lot cheaper than £2 from Costa coffee!

And a hell of a lot more than 5p and a moka pot. 😯

rone

https://www.crukafe.com are the best compatible pods out there. They taste fantastic and have never failed me. You can remove the foil and recycle the pod in your bin. Ethical too etc.

Better even than the original pods in my opinion.

A little more expensive but worth it.

Now can people shut up about recycling pods and tell me about the rest of their nature compatible choices. I assume you have no car and have never been on a plane?

kerley
    Free Member

Are they really 33p per pod?
    Haven’t tempted me away from the pot with that one.

They are for the middle classes. We don’t talk about such vulgar things as cost of coffee.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Now can people shut up about recycling pods and tell me about the rest of their nature compatible choices. I assume you have no car and have never been on a plane?

Oof! Way to silence the masses.

iamtheresurrection

CafeDirect pods this morning: just tried their El Reto, number 10. Coffee flavoured dishwater – very thin.

It’s going down the sink and I’m going make more of the CoOp stuff.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’m sure those of you who think coffee is too expensive will be spending money on something else instead

rone

Oof! Way to silence the masses

Soz, but it’s always the same with anything STW, people pointing stuff out from the sidelines because they read something.

Nothing about our bloody footprint is that great for the planet. You have to take a holistic approach to the enviro argument.

Maybe we need a moral high ground thread?

Life’s just too bloody hard without a cup of coffee.

Back on topic I got my favourite coffee from the local chap and his is 6 quid a bag for 250g. Making it no cheaper than pods and way messier via the aeropress which ejaculated all over the ceiling yesterday.

darrell
    Free Member

To all those people slaggin off pods for being landfill clutter

there is an argument for saying Nespresso pods are the most environmentally friendly way for us lot to drink coffee

and it’s all to do with the main environmental impact being the actual amount of coffee bean used per cup. Pods use a very small amount. All other methods use a variable but high amount. Other impacts are fairly irrelevant compared to the impact and cost of actually growing coffee and transporting the stuff around the globe

vickypea
    Free Member

Good point Darrell. I mentioned the waste when I buy bags of ground coffee and they go off before I can even use half of it, but I didn’t think of the bigger picture of the actual growing and transporting of coffee.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Nespresso pods’ is closed to new replies.