Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Nerves in my skin
  • samuri
    Free Member

If I take a pin, and stick it in my arm, I can feel it, exactly where I'm sticking it in.
    If I then stick the pin in a different place on my arm, I can also feel exactly where it is.
    Now I know I don't have a nerve on every square pinpoint of skin because then I'd have seventeen trillion nerves just in my skin alone, so how's that work then?

Ta.

tails
    Free Member

steep away from knife drawer.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

try it on the tip of your elbow – I can't feel it there 🙂

However, in answer to your question, I should think each pain sensor covers a few sq. mm of skin, or may even slightly overlap enabling your brain to interpolate several nerves to refine the resolution.

FYI you can get help if you find yourself self harming…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    samuri
    Free Member

Elbow is fine. I've been experimenting. Legs aren't so good. Knob is very sensitive. ditto testicles.

I like the idea of overlapping pressure zones and some sort of correllation in my head but I'm still struggling to understand how that works. Are nerves quite big then?

luked2
    Free Member

Oops: Silence is golden. Brains are weird.

scaredypants

It isn't brains that are weird, it's people who stick pins in their nob & scrote that are weird

Drac

Quiet night in the Hotel?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

if the pain sensors end in a web of fine filaments, as shown here, they may interleave, so your brain could correlate the relative intensity of pain from several nearby sensors to pinpoint (literally in your case) the site 🙂

wwaswas

if you run a pencil slowly over the skin of your arm it will feel colder in some places more than others. The cold points are where the nerves are.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

can you still do it with your eyes closed? Vision may be complementing your nerves. Its normally just your finger tips and other touch sensitive areas that can differetiate isn't it?

samuri
    Free Member

Stop making out it's just me. I'm no different to you lot. Freaking weirdo's the lot of you. I ask you… A proper question, not shite about governments and computers which generate a hilarious amount of ridiculous answers but a serious question about skin and what do I get?

Simon F Barnes produces the best answer, what is the world coming to?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Nerves in my skin’ is closed to new replies.