Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Nepresso, am I missing something?
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

I was gifted a nepresso machine at chrimbo and after a few weeks of fannying about I must be missing something…..I hate the damn thing.

I have to use two pods and a top up of water to make a questionable cup of coffee an it keeps flashing red at me (I have enough followed instructions telling me to descale etc.)

I think it might be time to go back to pots of ground coffee because this seems an awful lot of effort

aP
    Free Member

Nepresso, am I missing something?

Yes, an “S”.

Rubber_Buccaneer

It makes a single shot of espresso that is perfectly OK. What were you hoping for?

leffeboy

If you want it to make a large mug of instant coffee it’s the wrong thing
    If you want a small cup of espresso of medium but repeatable quality it’s the right thing
    In between? Depends how much you care about landfill

ade9933
    Free Member

They are not awesome. Compared to fresh coffee the best I can say is that they are inoffensive but I’m a coffee elitist.

There are worse things,

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Good, honest answers, and yes Nespresso

I couldn’t ask the gifter without coming across as ungrateful, but I don’t think I’m the target market. I like ground coffee, big mugs of rather than espresso. He uses his all the time as the only source of coffee in the house, but trying to make an Americano with this is just a pain in the dirt button.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“Gifted…..gifter….”

aP
    Free Member

Just get a Kinto jug.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

hot coffee

Rubber_Buccaneer

Agreed. If you want an Americano you need to boil the kettle, use some of the water to warm your mug then use one or two pods and top up with water from the kettle. The more people that you need to make coffee for the more of a pain it becomes and it ain’t cheap for an average tasting coffee.

zippykona

I like the black ones .

molgrips
    Free Member

When I’ve had it, it’s been a decent tradeoff between faff and quality, for espresso.

If you want a big mug, top up with hot water. It’s an espresso machine, not a filter coffee machine. Don’t buy* an MX-5 and complain you can’t get a fridge in it. If you’d rather cafetiere, then it’s not the machine for you.

However it sounds as if there might be something wrong with it. Flashing red means something – look up what.

* yes I know you didn’t buy it..

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Depends how much you care about landfill

Indeed it does ! As a matter of fact whilst installing some equipment at a 5MW Biogas generator site I noticed a large pile of coffee grounds, being of a nosey disposition I completely forgot the reason why I was actually at site and sought immediate answers as to why there was large pile of coffee grounds just there in the middle of the yard ! One of the Biogas boffin blokes informed me that it was to be fed into the digesters to assist in the process of producing methane, which in turn produces electrical power and heat, so I think we can assume that not all of the vast amounts of used coffee grounds used to make instant coffee does go to landfill, even if it did it would then produce methane that would be burnt through an engine to produce power.

molgrips
    Free Member

so I think we can assume that not all of the vast amounts of used coffee grounds used to make instant coffee does go to landfill, even if it did it would then produce methane that would be burnt through an engine to produce power.

The problem isn’t with the grounds, which make excellent compost; it’s with the large amount of foil pods, which aren’t recyclable afaik and make it difficult to get the coffee out.

longmover
    Free Member

Use the proper nespresso pods rather than the plastic ones. You can recycle the pods for free through Nespresso. My machine will top up for an americano by pressing the pour button within 4 seconds of it finishing, it will then top up through the pod rather than ejecting it.

sharkbait
    Free Member

The problem isn’t with the grounds, which make excellent compost; it’s with the large amount of foil pods, which aren’t recyclable afaik and make it difficult to get the coffee out.

Which begs the question why does Nespresso have a recycling system set and and even pay for the shipping of the used pods?

(AFAIA the pods are aluminium which is very recyclable)

DrJ

I was gifted a nespresso machine

Really? Is that like being given one?

molgrips
    Free Member

Good that Nespresso have addressed this. But not all pods are made by Nespresso.

sharkbait
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/2xya-LSoIMo[/video]

sharkbait
    Free Member

But not all pods are made by Nespresso.

No, but we aren’t we talking about Nespresso specifically here?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well we are yes – but I was defending my comment about landfill and pods generally 🙂

And in any case there is still an energy cost in making, shipping and recycling those things. Recycling, whilst better than landfill, is still not as good as not using at all.

My spoon goes from the drawer about 35cm to the coffee machine, and back.

winrya
    Free Member

I’ve tried loads of coffee machines over the years and they generally all end up gathering dust after the newness has worn off.

15 months later mine is still used most days of the week. I love a shot of espresso and a latte which it does a brilliant job of.

leffeboy

When you have ’boutiques’ dedicated to selling coffee pods in designer sacks you know you are paying too much

But if you’ve got the cash and are happy with the flavour, why not. As long as you do dispose of the pods correctly

Cafetiere for me

theotherjonv

I like the black ones .

I like the posh ones.

edhornby

I am routinely underwhelmed by the coffee from the pod machines, give me a stovetop and a bag of lavazza Oro thanks 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

There are worse things,

Than being a coffee elitist? I dunno…

deadkenny
    Free Member

sharkbait – Member 
    Which begs the question why does Nespresso have a recycling system set and and even pay for the shipping of the used pods?

Do they actually recycle them though or just trash them and they pay a carbon/eco offset or some such so people think they’re green?

The environmental cost of shipping the used pods also can’t be good.

Saccades
    Free Member

theotherjonv – Member
    I like the black ones .
    I like the posh ones.

Cute ones are usually gay…

devash
    Free Member

Can’t beat a moka pot for ease of use and taste. Plus no waste.

Superficial
    Free Member

Well that took an unexpected turn. Freaks.

Superficial
    Free Member

Can’t beat a moka pot for ease of use and taste. Plus no waste.

Unless you like super bitter coffee where all the real taste is overwhelmed by the bitterness.

devash
    Free Member

Unless you like super bitter coffee where all the real taste is overwhelmed by the bitterness.

If your coffee is coming out bitter then its probably overcooking it.

Best to preboil the water first, then take the pot off the stove as soon as the stream of coffee starts to lighten.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We love ours, used all the time. Makes great expresso and cafe a longé (basically an expresso with another 3-4 measures of hot water)

OP if you want an Americano just put the expresso into a big cup and add boiling water. You might also want to try a Bialetti style maker.

TiRed

Everyone has been gifted a Nespresso this month. They are currently for sale at £69 with £75 of free coffee. This with the aeroccino milk frothier. Just replaced mine after five years. Try one of the darkest and make it a lungo or double lungo.

And I’d struggle to heat my Bialetti on a cold desk in an office. Can they be PAT tested?

terrahawk
    Free Member

I use mine to get me started at 5am before a training ride. There are cheaper and less wasteful ways to make a quick brew but all of them will wake the dog and the kids up.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Makes great expresso

FFS.

ade9933
    Free Member

lol

fifeandy
    Free Member

So can we conclude that regardless of the quality of the coffee, it has a strongly negative effect on spelling? 😆

piemonster

Prety muchh

cinnamon_girl

gifted

[/b]

gifting

[/b]

FCOL

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Nepresso, am I missing something?’ is closed to new replies.