Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Neoguard ?
  • james0706
    Free Member

are neoguards worth the money and do they actully do anything ?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

The simplest way to see if they do anything is get an old inner tube, split it, cable tie it to your forks. If like me you realise it helps keep you clean (no crap in your face) then possibly pay for the much neater version with a logo.

Others will totally disagree. I wont leave home without one (innertube version).

james0706
    Free Member

Thanks that is a great idea !

Mugboo

I think the idea works well. I also think adding a tatty old piece of inner tube to my bike looks crap.

I also wish i didn’t care about these things..

I’ve just put a winter tyre on the front and even with the Neoguard i now get mud in the eye which shows, i think, that

a. the Neoguard must do something as with Highrollers, no mud.

b. the Wtb Stout has great mud shedding abilities..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

innertube version all the time not paying £15

ftr1873
    Free Member

I’ve been using one of these for a few months and it has been really good, keeps most of the muck from the forks too.

http://www.muckynutz.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=24

They look a bit like pants in the picture but don’t let that put you off!

theotherjonv

In terms of £ per ‘increased enjoyment’ of a ride, I reckon Neoguards are a worthwhile investment. That said, one handcrafted from knackered inner tube increases that cost/enjoyment ratio by a factor that even Brian Cox might struggle to explain with a beach full of a sand and a pointy stick.

TBH, I’m surprised one of the ‘me-too’ brands hasn’t started to produce these at a far lower price than £15.

jasterixstrange
    Free Member

I loved my Neoguard although arguably it didn’t keep “all” the muck off my face.
    Currently riding without one and proper filthy so it clearly has an impact.
    As someone else mentioned the Mucky Nutz Fender Bender is supposed to be significantly better though.

The one thing you need to know about the Neoguard is that they claim when your fork compresses and rebounds the Neoguard cleans itself … this is a total myth and it will be an inch thick in crud when you get back home/to your car.

Either way … £15 in the MTB world is nothing in comparison to other gadgets.

rOcKeTdOg

it’s great as an air brake on long down hills, and they makers love you spending your cash on a bit of rubber to ziptie to your forks, so in this way yes, it’s worth it

jamesb
    Free Member

ah but the £15 saved with an old inner tube v neoguard is something you can`t easily do with other MTB stuff, have you tried making a seat clamp for example 🙂 I NEVER now ride without a tube on front forks, done neatly looks OK and saves mud in face

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I have a spare suitable for 140-160mm forks if anyone wants it? £10 posted ono

jasterixstrange
    Free Member

Seems to be a lot of people out there making bender fenders themselves out of old plastic folders. If some crafty person fancies posting dimensions and instructions we could all be on a winner.

rOcKeTdOg

if you can make a version for these forks, i’m in

😉

z1ppy

I found they dont give you the protection of a proper front mudguard without being used in conjunction with a crud catcher on your downtube, so end up costing about double the price of a ‘normal’ mud guard.
    But then they don’t look as crap as a normal guard and considering about 90% of ppl seem to think that more important than actual performance, they sell well. Obviously I only have one for research purposes 😉

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Ralph

YGM

kaiser
    Free Member

wasn’t impressed with mine . Changed to the mucky nutz job and together with a crud catcher on the downtube it’s been excellent all winter with no muck in the eyes and less xxxp on the stanchions .

Tiger6791

Can somebody draw a diagram of how they work, they just seem to be in the wrong place.

😕

BigJohn

If you think about the trajectory of the mud that gets in your eyes you will find it’s mostly the stuff propelled forward and upwards from your front wheel that stays suspended in the air in front of your face waiting for you to ride into it.

Most of that mud gets spat through the gap between your tyre and fork crown.

The stuff that flies off the front tyre after it’s passed through the fork ends up on your chest.

molgrips
    Free Member

Didn’t work at all for me. Stopped some mud, but any leaving the tyre after the fork brace is free to arc backwards into my face at its leisure.

Cost me 10 minutes a lap for a couple of laps one muddy SITS before I got rid of the damn thing.

The stuff that flies off the front tyre after it’s passed through the fork ends up on your chest.

Definitely not for me, my chest and my bike 🙂

Andituk
    Free Member

There is no 100% cure I don’t think, it’s mountain biking, and its muddy, we just have to live with it, but the neoguard seems a decent enough way to reduce the worst of it and still look half decent.

molgrips
    Free Member

There is no 100% cure I don’t think

For me, this is 99.99% cure:

As opposed to the 30% cure or so that the neoguard offered.

Of course there are many mudguards with the same design. They do one for forks with a rear facing brace but it didn’t work on my Pace forks. I had to saw the back off an SKS job and then use a Crudguard on the downtube.

Lifer
    Free Member

Crud catcher and neoguard are perfect for me

Tiger6791

How it just seems to be wrong for the forces involved (unless you going backwards)

????????

I need Brian Cox to explain it

If you look at the image of the water, surely if mud was flung out and up through the forks then it would be travelling away from you.

*oh just clicked, it sticks to your tyre flings out up and in front and because you’re travelling forward you ride in to it.

Doh!

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, air slows it down but you are still going fast so plough into it.

Pieface

I have used both and would recommend you go for the muckynutz mini guard. Works as well (maybe better) than the neoguard and stops all the crud getting channelled onto your fork stanchions.

You can make one out of the semi-stiff plastic you get some A4 ring binders made of, or an old traffic cone would be good.

Combined with a crud catcher they’re very effective.

Ewan
    Free Member

Can’t recommend them highly enough. As a contact lens wearer I’d not be seen without one, stops me having to wear glasses (which in winter are a massive pain).

As for value – they look nicer than a innertube and don’t need zipties that wear the fork bridge. Plus they look less ghetto. Worth 12 quid to me.

FOG

After posting on here to ask for advice on avoiding crap in the eyes, I bought a Muckynutz which is far superior to the neoguard on my other bike. It won’t keep you clean but it will keep your eyes or glasses from getting filled with abrasive grit and mud.

jenbe
    Free Member

go in to any fabric shop by a bit of neoprean for a quid, got to pound shop get some t-shit priter tranferstuff, make sevaerl for 2 pounds, with any logo you want…profit!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Neoguard ?’ is closed to new replies.