Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • neighbours house poor maintenance advice
  • carbon337
    Free Member

My neighbours house roof is disintegrating in all these winds. Slate tiles flying off – now has a hole about 2′ square developed since beginning of December.

I’ve mentioned it to him on a few occasions – normally after I’ve been out to move my car from possible damage. He says yeah i will look at it when i give him a knock.

However this morning its now becoming really dangerous. Tiles lying at my front door – dodgy for wife going in and out with our baby daughter.

Its a terraced house and the hole is about 6″ from the step down which is the border with my property. My roof is fine but im concerned about any water possible coming through the party wall.

Other than MTFU and tell him to fix it should i contact my insurer/photograph for evidence etc or just leave it? Both private owned mine on mortgage so im sure they would be interested in this.

Dont want to fall out with him as they are genrally ok but always tell us how poor they are – even so that didn’t stop them going on the drink in Ireland for a weekend and being out all New years day drinking.

Graham_Clark

If you really want him to fix it then get the Council involved… If it is now a dangerous structure (and it sounds like it is) then someone from Building Control should have a look and do the necessary…

MSP

I believe that the council have the power to make emergency repairs and bill the house owner if its in a dangerous state.
    I would try having a word with him again, it will be cheaper for him to get it done himself, either way he is probably going to end up hating you.

hora
    Free Member

Two things: Are you definitely sure its HIS house? Secondly – he may be going out all day drinking as hes struggling with money, really doesn’t have anything left/lots of debts and hes almost keeling over.

I wouldn’t say anything more to him. Go through to Building control dept (?) through your council switchboard – talk it up somewhat. Dont say you are a direct neighbour. Just that you live on the street and some slates just missed your Elderly mother.

tonyg2003

As the previous posters say your only option is to get the council involved.

My sisters attached semi is now almost a complete wreck. The old lady died about 10years ago and the two daughters couldn’t agree to sell or keep the house (it’s a valuable property in N.London too). The house has been empty ever since and my sister had a major water problem in her house due to a leak next door. They had to get the council involved.

Complete stupidity allround from the neighbours but there isn’t much my sister can do. A waste of a good house too (one of those millions of empty properties we hear about). My sis is looking to sell her house in the next 3months and the dump next door (garden=jungle) will negatively effect their selling price.

binners

He’s been out for a beer instead of fixing his roof? The feckless drunken bastard! Grass him up to the council. Everyone loves a grass.

Then report him to the Daily Mail. They’ll come round and do a feature on “Broken Britain” for you. He’s probably a benefit scrounger too. I bet He’ll be claiming invalidity benefit, n stuff. Thats why he says he can’t fix the roof. I bet really he’s probably competing on Strictly Come Dancing. Probably. Or something like that. So Grass on him to the social too. Like I said: Everyone loves a grass.

hora
    Free Member

binners….hes one of you lot too! 😮

carbon337
    Free Member

erm no he has a job as a plasterer and his wife works too Binners.

So your whole post was pointless – move along.

The point about drinking was not really related but just included to show that they are more both bothered about a good night out then this other issue. Bearing in mind he has been on holiday all over the xmas period.

His godson is a roofer who i know and i suggested giving him a ring, he said “Aye I could do like….” then walked away.

binners

Have him killed! Or just beat him to death yourself! Sounds like it’d be justified to me, to be honest.

I mean – Not immediately running off to do what his neighbour’s just told you to do? Justifiable homicide, that! Definitely! No court in the land would convict you

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Is binners vying for the nob of the day award?

dan1980
    Free Member

Possibly, but it’s still funny, and the OP is overreacting a tad.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

The council do have powers to complete works and bill the owner but in this kind of situation they are unlikely to do this. They could serve him a notice to complete works, and then take further actions. If you contact the council, you will fall out with your neighbour.

Other option is to let your neighbour fix it in his own time.. but you might want to keep a record of any conversations/incidents just in case you have to take further action for compensation/claim for damages.

binners

My solutions betterer. He’s been asking for it

Clean the streets!!!

carbon337
    Free Member

Im not getting another ban for reacting to binners

He must be bored or lonely or maybe both.

binners

both. Oh… and a sociopath

*bursts into tears*

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In fairness binbins, lay off him. When shit from your neighbours roof is raining down by your front door, and you’ve mentioned stuff previously, it’s fair enough to try and get something done about it.

There comes a time when people won’t control their shit, that one has to control their shit for them. I did the same some time ago with my neighbour’s vine at the bottom of the gardens that was **** up the stuff either side. They weren’t bothered doing anything about it so I did. Big row ensued but they soon learned to sort shit out. I used the line “Control your shit or don’t be surprised when someone controls it for you” – I’m all for live and let live, you know me, but when others’ couldn’t-give-a-shittedness starts wrecking everybody else’s stuff, then it’s time to step in tbh.

seanodav
    Free Member

Not sure he’s overreacting tbf? would be a bit pissed off myself if the neighbours roof was putting my family-property at risk and he wasnt arsed?

hora
    Free Member

OP contact Building/council dept- ask them to redirect if not them. There is sod all you can make him do by constantly knocking on his door though.

nacho
    Free Member

Difficult situation, if I was in your boots and you do get on with him OK before going to the council/building dep’t is it worth explaining to him it’s now a clear danger to your family and if he doesn’t sort it you’ll be left with no option but to go to the council?? Apologies if you’ve already tried that approach!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

i suggested giving him a ring, he said “Aye I could do like….” then walked away.

He might just be reacting to your interfering (ie doesn’t like being told what to do).

Not saying he is right and you are wrong, just saying that some people don’t respond well to such direct ‘suggestions’.

mudshark
    Free Member

Some people just don’t see the urgency with this sort of thing – like the Spanish…well what some people say about the Spanish as I’m sure they’re hard working people on the whole.

binners

I think I’ve got this sussed now. When you said he goes on about how poor he is… and he likes a few sherbets….do you live next door to Eight Ace?

allthepies
    Free Member

Give him a deadline i.e. I’m concerned that your roof is dangerous and needs to be made safe immediately. Please can you arrange for the necessary repairs to be made this week otherwise I’ll have no option but to contact the council next Monday to report a dangerous structure.

project
    Free Member

It may not be his house, have a look on the land registry site for the owner and ring them up.

He may not have an spare money, or may be going to move soon.

Just ring the council, who will send a man out with hi viz and a clipboard.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Sit on his roof and fling a tile at him when he comes out of the house.

Clean trousers and then straight on to the roofer.

simples

br
    Free Member

Why bother the authorities, you’ll just create trouble and nothing will happen – apart from pi55 him off.

Get up on the roof and take a look – if you believe it is/will damaging your property tell him if he doesn’t fix it you will (and bill him)?

T666DOM

Scatter a few tiles around his car maybe it’ll get him moving things along if he thinks one will be coming through the windscreen ?!!

skiprat
    Free Member

I had a similar problem with my neighbour. His gutter was rotten and when it rained water would pour down the back of our house. After a winter of this and damp in 2 rooms, i phoned my solicitor who after a couple of shitty letters told me that he could not afford to have the work done. I could pay and then get hiom to pay me back at £1.00 a week type thing.

Went to coucil who told me he has a Duty of Care to keep his house in good condition. As it was affecting my house they would take things up with him. Sure enough, a week later, the council came and fitted new gutters to the house. They then charged him loads for doing the work.

All happy here now. Call the council and get them involved, they will sort it out and pass all the cost on.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘neighbours house poor maintenance advice’ is closed to new replies.