Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Neighbours family crashed our gate post !
  • bhill22
    Free Member

Neighbours family crashed into our red sandstone gate post and snapped it !

I was working overseas and wife failed to do the correct actions at time, the neighbours sister (to be exact) has accepted responsibility and said did not want to involve insurance company. I was not happy and have asked for insurance details and if she has reported the accident to the police or her insurance company. However still no details have been provided.

So does anybody know what the best course of actions will be to take next please?

Some facts
    It was 2+ months ago
    The estimate for new gate post from the stone masons has been provided

cloudnine
    Free Member

Howmuchisit?

jota180
    Free Member

The police?

Is that all anyone thinks of any more?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m sure the polis will be really interested in that one.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Is she refusing to pay the estimated cost?
    If not, what’s the problem?

Why would she report this to the police?

br
    Free Member

Pass on a copy of the quote, asking them for the cash to get the Mason in.

Why would you need to involve anyone else, including broadcasting it across the net? 🙄

dazz
    Free Member

agree with everyone else, it was an accident, she admitted it & offered to pay, no need for anyone else to be involved.

chewkw
    Free Member

Insurance and police … why?

Just tell her to pay for the repair.

project
    Free Member

Just perhaps she hasnt got the money to pay for repairs, christmas came in the middle.

Is it posible to do a cheaper repair, as opposed to a new post.

I would talk to her and divorce your wife for not taking the corect actions whatever they may be.

chambord
    Free Member

Why on earth would you want to get the police on to your neighbours’ family?

timc
    Free Member

Phone the police 😆

jambourgie
    Free Member

bhill22
    Free Member

Is she fit? no
    Howmuchisit? £3.5k
    Is she refusing to pay the estimated cost? says she will sort it out but not been any progress,
    If not, what’s the problem?I think she is time wasting until we give up asking
    Why would she report this to the police? Road Traffic Act – boundary of a property on the pavement is still included as the road as such all accidents should be reported
    I would talk to her and divorce your wife for not taking the corect actions whatever they may be. Been there once before it wiped me out financially took years to recover

Is there a way to find out her car insurance details if she withholds them?
    If I go to the police then I would hope they would knock on her door and provide the insurance details

scotroutes

An accident is defined as a traffic accident if it occurs on a road or in a place to which the public have access. This can include footpaths and bridleways. In Scotland, a public road is one that a local authority has a duty to maintain.

What must a driver involved in a traffic accident do

A driver involved in a traffic accident should stop whether or not the accident was their fault if:-

anyone, other than themselves, is injured; or
    another vehicle, or someone else’s property, is damaged; or
    an animal in another vehicle or running across the road is injured; or
    a bollard, street lamp or other item of street furniture is damaged.
    If you have to stop, you must remain near the vehicle long enough for anyone who is involved directly or indirectly in the accident to ask for details. This could be, for example, the owner of an injured animal, a relative of someone who is injured, or the police. The driver must then give their name and address, the name and address of the owner of the vehicle (if the driver is not the owner), and the registration number of the vehicle.

The driver may also have to report the accident to a police officer or at a police station, in person, as soon as practicable and in any case within 24 hours. This duty arises whenever the driver has not given their name and address at the scene of the accident, whether or not they were asked to do so.

If any personal injury is caused to another person, the driver must also produce a valid insurance certificate if asked to do so by a police officer, injured person, or anyone else directly or indirectly involved in the accident. If the insurance certificate is asked for, but not produced at the time, the accident must be reported to a police station as soon as practicable, or in any case within 24 hours, and the insurance certificate must be taken to a police station within seven days of the accident. However if the driver is asked at the time of the accident to produce insurance details and does so, there is no further obligation to report the accident to the police, as long as they have complied with the duties described above.

RoterStern
    Free Member

3.5k for a gate post??? For that kind of money surely she would rather go through her insurance.

anagallis_arvensis

3.5k for a gate post jesus shitting christ, if your house costs that much I reckon you can afford to pay for it yourself.

tomd
    Free Member

Crazy idea but have tried speaking to her or getting in touch via your neighbours? Presumably you want your gate fixed with the minimum bother? Given that 2 months has passed the easiest route will be to do this.

breadcrumb

I’d be pushing for her insurance details.

I’d also want the post to be how it was pre-accident. If a repair could be carried out fair enough.

No way would I be paying for it out of my own pocket.

andyl
    Free Member

I think a second quote is needed.

nickjb
    Free Member

£3.5k for a repair to a gate post that isn’t even fit for purpose sounds crazy to me.

iolo
    Free Member

How many posts are you talking about? 10? Then the quote makes sense.

br
    Free Member

£3.5k for a sandstone gatepost?

Old, large with lots of decoration plus I guess a load of labour to install.

nickjb
    Free Member

Here are the gate posts. You can see the damage to the post on the left.

andyl
    Free Member

£3.5k for a gatepost and you have neighbours close enough for people visiting them to hit it. Must be Cheshire…. 😉

irc

Is there a way to find out her car insurance details if she withholds them?

What about suggesting to her that if she won’t refer it to her insurance company you’ll need to take her to the small claims court. That’s why she has insurance. Whats her problem?

I think you can get her insurance details from the Motor Insurance Database.

http://www.mib.org.uk/Motor+Insurance+Database/en/Motor+Insurance+Database+Information/askMID.htm

mikewsmith
    Free Member

OP you had better give up now, you are now deemed too affluent to require help by the Communist Party of STW. The Peoples Army of CX will be around to redistribute your remaining gate post to those without.

bhill22
    Free Member

Cheshire – yes
    Listed property has to be re-instated to pre accident – it would still leave a new and old post so will take some time to weather
    Stone masons say no to repair not possible
    I advised her from the start to engage with her insurance company
    Her brother the neighbor has recently had his gateposts built and I am sure would have advised her from the beginning what the cost would be

£2k for post, £800 installation the rest VAT

Scotroutes and irc, thx thats the sort of information I was looking for

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On the topic of people who “should” be involved, have you also reported the incident to your household insurance company?

globalti
    Free Member

FFS just take your estimate and go round for a reasonable chat with the neighbour. They’ve already admitted fault so all you have to do is agree the payment terms. They will want to be sure you’re not ripping them off so you might want to assure them that they wil get the final bill from the mason, which won’t have any “extras” added. I expect the neighbour will claim from their insurance.

What’s so hard about that?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Drive in to their gatepost, see how they like it.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I doubt that a private driveway would be classed as road or place to which the public has access for the purposes of this incident.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Something similar happened to us last summer when a visiting bus trashed one of our listed stable gateposts. The bus company refused to take responsibility. We couldn’t be bothered with the bad karma so me and two pals fixed it in a day.

Feel good factor? Off the scale.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113038090087066024057/GatePostDamage

MoreCashThanDash

I’m no fan of H&S gone mad but I saw that photo and thought “safe system of work”? 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The bus company refused to take responsibility. We couldn’t be bothered with the bad karma so me and two pals fixed it in a day.

Feel good factor? Off the scale.
    Glad you felt good being out of pocket, I’d have had the bus company in the small claims court myself.

johnx2
    Free Member

Building a gallows seems a little strong, though I guess the threat of public hanging would encourage prompt payment?

(just scrolled quickly thru and probably missed something.)

miketually
    Free Member

If I go to the police then I would hope they would knock on her door and provide the insurance details

They’ll get right onto it, after they’ve solved all the murders and stuff.

andyl
    Free Member

Cheshire – yes

hehe I knew it!

But yes, it’s their fault, they should pay. the McMoonter one pisses me off. Bus companies are *expletive*

Have you had a couple of quotes? I would expect you to get a couple and after you have done so you should go round say this needs to be sorted in 7 days or you will be contacting their insurance. tbh they would be silly to not go through insurance if it will cost that much.

hora
    Free Member

Jesus how much?!!

Small claims court?

MoreCashThanDash

We are all rather assuming that there is some insurance to claim through?

andyl
    Free Member

if they don’t have insurance then they deserve everything they get.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Neighbours family crashed our gate post !’ is closed to new replies.